Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my bike 2 weeks ago and they didn't give me the owner's manual so like the impatient person that I am, I went and rode the thing w/out even looking it up online for the last 2 weeks. After reading the manual, it says "WARNING, Do not change the D-mode while the vehicle is moving." and I have been doing that quite a bit while clutched. Does anyone know if this can cause damage to the engine or any aspect of the bike? Please let me know.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
No damage by switching on the fly.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
^^^^^this^^^^^

And

Just make sure that either:

1. The throttle is completely closed
Or
2.the clutch is disengaged

Neither hurt the bike, it simply won't change modes if either of those aren't done

·
Banned
739 Posts
Be careful, I tried going from 'A' to 'B' because I was coming into town and the rear wheel locked up on me. Thought I did everything right (throttle closed), but I must have still been going too fast. Scared the crap out of me. Went back the next day, 30' blackie on the road.

I know there was a thread here already about this. I'll never do that again.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I don't think I've ever changed it while stopped actually xD

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I switch modes all the time while riding, usually because I forgot to put it back in A mode after getting fuel or something.... I just close the throttle real quick and I've never had a problem.

Reactions: Speedbird

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Clutch in, throttle closed, change mode, no problems here though you have to pick your spot.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
You can download a pdf version of the Canadian owners manual here, so it's in metric.

https://www.yamaha-dealers.ca/ymca/web/public/ownersManuals/?locale=en_CA

Not sure if you can download a US imperial version?

I have changed modes with no problem while moving. I get a feeling you can lock up the rear wheel on decal if you accidentally let the rpm's drop to much before releasing the clutch??? But changing modes shouldn't do anything on it's own.

Reactions: Tigershark

·
Registered
429 Posts
no need to clutch in to change modes. Thats where you could run into traction issues when letting the clutch back out. Just roll off the throttle hit the button and go about your merry hooligan ways

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just be careful not to turn the bike off while hunting for the button.

Reactions: chris1261

·
Banned
739 Posts
OK looking back I admit, it was probably a bit of rider error why my rear wheel locked. I probably was laying on the rear brake. But I was changing modes at speed when something freaked.

It was due to superior rider skill that I didn't crash. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
MY manual states to not have the throttle engaged when changing between modes.

Ease off throttle. Change modes. Ease back on.

EXAMPLE:::

"Shit, why is this car all over the road..." *stares harder into car* " Mofraki be txting!!"

Ease off throttle, switch to A mode. BLAST OFF!!!

"Phew, thanks A MODE!"

THE END

·
Registered
239 Posts
no need to clutch in to change modes. Thats where you could run into traction issues when letting the clutch back out. Just roll off the throttle hit the button and go about your merry hooligan ways
This. Let off throttle completely, change mode, carry on. Works every time without fuss. I do this daily as i always forget to change modes.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Changing modes will not mechanically hurt the bike.
The mode changes the response rate of the throttle body servos.
The system will not allow the bike to toggle between servo rates whilst the throttle is open or the power train is disengaged.

My last bike, an Aprilia, had 3 throttle modes much like the MT09 (Aussie) - it was no issue flicking between modes on the fly.

As has been said - the "warning" is not in fear of mechanical damage, it is to mitigate ham fisted rider error.
:)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
no, you'll be fine changing modes while moving.

but - the engine run switch is in close proximity to the mode button so it's easy to kill the engine while trying to change modes if you're not careful.

this won't apply to 99.9% of 09 riders, but each mode can have its own engine braking maps, so with a custom flash it's possible to have one mode with very little engine braking, and another mode with maximum engine braking. when you close the throttle and then switch from the first to the second, the change in engine braking takes effect almost immediately and you'll feel it. i'd imagine that given the right conditions (high rpm's and questionable rear traction), it could cause the rear to chatter/break loose.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Be careful, I tried going from 'A' to 'B' because I was coming into town and the rear wheel locked up on me. Thought I did everything right (throttle closed), but I must have still been going too fast. Scared the crap out of me. Went back the next day, 30' blackie on the road.

I know there was a thread here already about this. I'll never do that again.
I've never had anything like this happen. Sounds scary lol

I switch on the fly every time, but I don't switch often. Thanks for vcyclenut my bike starts in A mode :)

Reactions: chris1261

·
Registered
62 Posts
Some have had the engine stop changing the D-mode without rolling off the throttle while driving.
It was a simple error searching the warning button.

They have had to stop the bike, turn it off with the key to restart.

This is why I've moved the warning button to the left. (I've added a new button)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts