Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not specifically for the FZ-09 at the moment, but it's applicable here and I trust you guys. Can you recommend a good chain breaker & riveter? Thanks in advance.

I'm hoping to not go broke on it, but I'd rather have a nice tool to last a lifetime than struggle with a sub-par one. Curious what you guys use & recommend... Been trying to read reviews online, but with all the people claiming to break pins on EVERY TOOL it makes me wonder if they just decline to grind the head off first?? Makes it hard to trust reviews since I can't tell if a breakage is due to the tool or operator error.. :confused:

·
Registered
226 Posts
The motion Pro chain tool I have has been faultless for 5 years and dozens of chains. I worked as a bike mechanic for a few years. I think they're about $100. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I too have a Motion Pro, but haven't used it much. +1 on the approx. $100

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you guys referring to the "PBR" tool? Or a different one, they seem to have a couple models.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Edited. Wasn't thinking about linking to a non-sponsor sire. I have the MP jumbo tool. I think it is a bit more, but it is really heavy duty and worked very well.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I bought the BPR tool but haven't used it yet (no need yet). It says you don't have to grind the head of the pin off, but I do anyway... cause I always have... and I'm stubborn like that.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I bought the BPR tool but haven't used it yet (no need yet). It says you don't have to grind the head of the pin off, but I do anyway... cause I always have... and I'm stubborn like that.
That is the best way to do it (grinding the head away ) ..Does not take long to Do and saves wear and tear on the tool !!

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've manage to break every chain tool I've bought. Some on first use. This is the next one want to buy.

I mainly use clips but when if I have a riveted chain, I just cut the chain with my grinder or grind off the heads if I think I'll use the chain again. Believe it or not, you can get the chain apart after that with a screw driver and channel locks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts