Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've used PJ Blue Chain Lube for years and years, mainly for off-road enduro type motos. This FZ is my first chain drive street bike and I'm still using the same lube. It seems to be fine but the Yamaha Dealer told me that PJ Black is better. Not sure why though.

What do you use? Why?

thx.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm a big fan of dupont dry wax lube as it doesn't make a mess and works great for me. I had 27k miles on a chain that was on my previous bike and it was still looking good and well within tolerance. Changed it out just for piece of mind. I use it on my dirtbikes too.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I used PJs for years on the SV and just recently switched over to Motul for the FZ.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bel-Ray Superclean Chain Lube

Been using it on street and dirt bikes since it came out on the market.

Goes on wet then it dries. No fling and resists dirt and grime quite well.

Spendy though--runs about $15 per can

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm a big fan of dupont dry wax lube as it doesn't make a mess and works great for me. I had 27k miles on a chain that was on my previous bike and it was still looking good and well within tolerance. Changed it out just for piece of mind. I use it on my dirtbikes too.
yup. but I'll buy any dry wax if it includes PTFE. and occasionally I'll buy and use an all molybdenum spray, but that stuff is really pricy 20$ a can. Motorcycle tech who did my reflash said my chain was way too dry until I explained I don't use the goopy stuff, just dry wax. He looked at me weird but I get between 10-20k on a chain normally.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Bel-Ray Superclean Chain Lube

Been using it on street and dirt bikes since it came out on the market.

Goes on wet then it dries. No fling and resists dirt and grime quite well.

Spendy though--runs about $15 per can
+1, great stuff. It's a little over $13/can at Revzilla, buy three and you get the free shipping for any order over $39.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
yup. but I'll buy any dry wax if it includes PTFE. and occasionally I'll buy and use an all molybdenum spray, but that stuff is really pricy 20$ a can. Motorcycle tech who did my reflash said my chain was way too dry until I explained I don't use the goopy stuff, just dry wax. He looked at me weird but I get between 10-20k on a chain normally.
10-20k per chain? If I got less than 25k out of a chain that I DID NOT race, I am looking for the failure cause. Properly maintained oring chain should easily last 25k and many get up to 40k out of them.

·
Registered
377 Posts
10-20k per chain? If I got less than 25k out of a chain that I DID NOT race, I am looking for the failure cause. Properly maintained oring chain should easily last 25k and many get up to 40k out of them.
By worn out I mean the pinch test fails (pinching the chain and pulling it straight off the back of the rear sprocket) if that gap is too large, I replace my chain whether it has worn out links or not. I'm a bit anal about chains. I use engine braking a TON and always have, so I'm really easy on brakes and tires, but really hard on chains and sprockets.
My first motorcyle, a 1977 Yamaha XS 650 bored out to 750 CC's, I didn't know anything about bikes, no older adults or even teenagers to 'teach me the ropes' and this was long long before the advent of the internet. I never adjusted, or lubed that chain, and I rode it everywhere (No car) the third year I owned it, I was galavanting off through wyoming, and on my return home (in utah at the time) my engine started revving up on the freeway, with no equal accel..... made it another 100 miles like this back to Logan, rolled into the only shop that I knew of that even looked at motorcycles. The guy looked at the bike and said, 'do you ever lube your chain?' I made the stupid face, and he sighed and pointed. my rear sprocket was round. I mean like I have no Idea how I made it to the shop round. There were no teeth left.

After that, and the realization of 'what could have happened' I became more particular about my chain.:BangHead::BangHead:

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've been using Maxima Chain Wax for 20 years or so. No fling, doesn't attract grit. easy to clean. I put it on every 2 or 3 rides, and use it mixed with a bit of kerosine on a rag to clean the chain every 8-10 rides. I get years out of chains, don't know how many kms. ;)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do the "wax" lubes run warmer than the "oil" based lubes? specifically the DuPont Teflon Wax vs PJ or Bel Ray? Never used a wax lube but it sounds interesting... clean and dry... amazing.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I've been using Maxima Chain Wax for 20 years or so. No fling, doesn't attract grit. easy to clean. I put it on every 2 or 3 rides, and use it mixed with a bit of kerosine on a rag to clean the chain every 8-10 rides. I get years out of chains, don't know how many kms. ;)

I'm on my second can of that now (used on three bikes). Once you get used to how much to spray on and then make sure you let it dry, it's much cleaner than the lubes I've used in the past. If you get little bits flinging off onto the underside of the tail, you know you've used too much!

·
Registered
60 Posts
just got these in the mail. Haven't used any of these products prior.
That's my favorite chain cleaner for when its really gunked up as it just melts it all away. Otherwise I just use a bit of wd40 in a spray bottle and wash it off prior to lube. Have the same brush, works great! Never tried that lube, but it looks oil based so it'll be a bit messy.

Reactions: fz9-tx-guy

·
Registered
768 Posts
I use DuPont Teflon lube from Walmart good stuff no fling.....may be same as above...
+1 on the DuPont products.

Lowes / Home Depot carry a DuPont chain lube in the yellow can that's just a slightly thicker version of the blue can stuff. Both work surprisingly well and are o-ring safe.
I have a Scottoiler on my FZ-09 putting gear oil to the chain in small amounts constantly. It doesn't make a big mess and the chain never runs with insufficient lubrication. After washing the bike, I "rinse" the chain with WD-40, wipe it thoroughly with a dry cloth and then apply some DuPont lube for storage and until the next ride re-oils the chain.
I've adjusted the chain once in nearly 6k "spirited" miles.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Bel-Ray since 1975. Even used their MC-1 premix @ 60-1 ratio back then on my son's 360 Pursang without an engine failure. I've been to their factory and I cannot imagine any company doing as much testing, especially against the competition's products than they do. They were sold in 2013, but their chain lube formula i doubt has changed.
Highly recommended!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts