Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have an issue with your pant leg going into the chain?
I wouldn't have known it if I didn't feel a little "tug" on the pant leg today while creeping along in traffic.
When I got home my pant leg bottom was coated with chain lube.
I was thinking one of you clever guys will make a carbon fiber something or other for a few bucks.
Post it up here when the "chain guard" is for sale!! LOL:p

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
You should NEVER be wearing any kind of pants that could come in contact with the chain. Either do what Doug said or buy some different pants that cannot get close to the chain. You are asking for a very unhappy ending to a ride someday.

Reactions: Dr_R

·
Registered
833 Posts
Confused...don't you have a chainguard on there?

·
Registered
584 Posts
hey, I thought Bell Bottoms went out a long time ago. I rode with them like in 1970-72 maybe.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
They're back, but just as in 1972, they ain't so good for riding a motorcycle with them on. :cool:

Reactions: billnoroville

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I never had chain lube on a pant leg in 41 years of riding. After you lube the chain...you're supposed to wipe off the excess lube that's dripping all over.

Reactions: billnoroville

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Here's the chain lube that I use, both for my track bike and my wife's track bike, as well as both of our street bikes. It sprays on and the recommended drying time is 30 minutes or so. Awesome stuff for sure!

Amazon.com: DuPont(R) Teflon(TM) Chain-Saver Lubricant, Net Wt 11 oz. (CS0110101): Automotive
I'm not a fan of WalMart but they have the Dupont stuff a lot cheaper ($6.96):

DuPont Teflon Chain Saver, 11 oz: ATV, Motorcycle, & RV Accessories : Walmart.com

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the "lube" is factory. I haven't lubed the chain yet.
There is a gap where the chain is exposed just above the shifter.
I was wearing straight legged Levis and they are fairly tight but maybe my legs are skinny?
whatever, I do have riding pants that are larger than the levis to fit over my street boots but those have built in Velcro to take up the slack.
I agree that you should NEVER wear pants that contact the chain and that is why I posted this question.
I didn't ever figure Levis would get to touch the chain on any of my bikes. This is a first.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Good to hear that you are NOT wearing bell bottoms or I might have to ban you! :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts