Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chain care:

I usually clean and re-lube my chain every 500km unless I ride in the wet. If I ride in the wet, I always dry and re-lube. I hate having a filthy chain.

Here is my chain after 1200km ridden in 1 week.

To remove grease and grime, I use iPone chain cleaner. It does not penetrate past o-ring, x-ring or z-ring seals and does not degrade the rubber. Many chain cleaners penetrate past the seals, eating through the precious lube/grease inside the actual chain links where friction needs to be low.

As shown below, despite kerosene being a favourite for many riders, it actually rapidly penetrates into the chain seals, disolving the precious lube inside the seals of the links.

Below: Post iPone application + wiping with cloth.

After using the iPone, I use Maxima Chain Wax chain lube.

It has very good anti-rust and low friction properties.
Annoyingly, in the test video done by Fortnine on YouTube, he applied the chain wax and ran the test straight after application.
This product takes 10-15 min to set, forming a light golden-tinted film over the chain. Once set, it actually does not splatter or collect grit like the video claims.

Below: Maxima Chain Wax appied and set. The tiny white spots are just cloth lint. I applied a little too much wax and tried to wipe the chain while it was half-set, which grabbed a lot of lint off the cloth.

Post any tips or advice you have below!

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
13 Posts
Thanks for the product recommendations. I'm on Revzilla right now looking for products to clean and lube. This is my first bike with a chain, but it's a lot easier than pulling a final drive!

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,668 Posts
Very nice write up.

Below: Maxima Chain Wax appied and set. The tiny white spots are just cloth lint. I applied a little too much wax and tried to wipe the chain while it was half-set, which grabbed a lot of lint off the cloth.
I'll just add that when you go to wipe down the outer links after lubing, a little WD40 on a rag really helps get it clean, without leaving anything sticky to catch lint or dust, etc.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I use the same chain wax. Sooooo much better than that PJ1 snot I used to use. Never again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice write up.

I'll just add that when you go to wipe down the outer links after lubing, a little WD40 on a rag really helps get it clean, without leaving anything sticky to catch lint or dust, etc.
Thanks for the tip mate. WD is ultra safe on the chain seals too which is perfect.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I wipe mine down by spraying WD40 on a heavy duty paper towel folding it several times ..get it all clean then use Bel-Ray Superclean chain lube .I run the EK ThreeD black/gold chain and this makes the gold and the black Pop !!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Clean it with WD every 2000klms and lube it with chain wax every 500klms. Never had a problem with this method in over 30 years of riding bikes

Agree with the statement regarding the chain wax. I usually do it after a ride and leave it over night to set.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Clean it with WD every 2000klms and lube it with chain wax every 500klms. Never had a problem with this method in over 30 years of riding bikes

Agree with the statement regarding the chain wax. I usually do it after a ride and leave it over night to set.
WD is ok, but to me it doesnt lift the muck off like iPone does.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I wanna try iPone, but that’s some bougie chain clean stuff. I use Motul Chain Clean. Debating getting one of those brushes at Cyclegear.

mans of course I too use the Maxima Chain Lube. Stuff looks and smells amazing

Reactions: hardyhah_09
1 - 10 of 10 Posts