Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, over in another thread there was mention of replacing bearings when having wheels serviced/painted and it got me to thinking about a the use of ceramic bearings.
I know that drag bike racers use them and desert racers too. The science behind the advantages seems reasonable to my failing mind. Anybody have an informed opinion and/or experience regarding the use of this type of wheel bearing in a street motorbike?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had ceramic bearings on the bottom bracket of my bicycle. The ultra light carbon cranks and ceramic bearings were a package that was $650. The bearings didn't last as long as I thought they should have, and when I replaced them (with far cheaper normal bearings, I couldn't tell the difference. I would seriously doubt that any performance advantage on a motorcycle could be worth the extra cost.

·
Super Moderator
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for your response. I'm not so interested in cost vs benefit. I wanted to gain some anecdotal knowledge of the frictional efficiency of ceramic bearings. The product info states increased life from 3 to 5 times of steel bearings, but your experience says otherwise. Man...bicycle parts are pricey!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Seems like a track thing.. I'm guessing the less heat expansion reducing friction... I guess fz09 can be converted to a track bike but that seems like a high competition think.

·
Registered
220 Posts
They are proven to "free up some HP" on a dyno due to less rolling resistance. As for longevity, I am unsure. I would think that a set on the front of an FZ would be short lived if you have the front wheel on and off the ground as I (and many others) do. They are certainly not a cheap mod by any means.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Less weight, less friction, less heat - but more prone to wear from heavy loads, and more susceptible to damage from shock. Hit a pothole on a motorcycle and get stranded type of thing.

I agree with replacing bearings after painting the wheels - because of the possibility of damaging the existing bearings in the process. But I wouldn't use ceramic bearings in the wheels of a motorcycle unless it was a track bike and I could throw money at it regularly trying to cut an extra tenth of a second.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had ceramic bearings on both of Gen 4 ZX10r. I am also going to put them on BMW S1000RR in the near future. I wouldn't be able to justify the bearings on FZ09. But on other high speed applications I would recommend them. Managed to pick up an extra 3 MPH or top end runs.

·
Super Moderator
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe Nick will weigh in on this with additional input.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've seen 2-3mph increase and about one tenth in 1/4 mile applications. Biggest and most noticeable difference is the ease in which you can push your motorcycle around. WorldWide Bearings Ceramic bearings is all I use and the best in the business. I've never heard of a bearing failure from them and their ceramics are claimed to last 3-5x longer than steel. $395 retail for a complete set including the sprocket carrier bearing... not too bad in my mind.

Also, I would never buy a set of $3-$4k wheels and not get ceramic bearings... when you buy the wheels its only a $300 upgrade and worth at least double that price. Go with ceramics and you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
176 Posts
after reading the replies above...

Not worth the extra $ because...

the FZ09 is not aerodynamic enough to reap the benefits.

race prep totally worth it, 0.5 seconds means 1st and 6th on the motogp level fyi

just my 2c .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts