Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Which coating color would look best on the 09?

• Black

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Silver

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Titanium

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Gold

Votes: 2 10.5%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally decided on exhaust for my bike and went with Yoshimura R77. It will be here Monday and I am going to get it ceramic coated. Looking for opinions on color:

CERAMIC COATING.jpg

·
Registered
155 Posts
Black

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Titanium

It will get tiny pock marks in it from road debris. Titanium will hide it, black will not.

I have a lot of experience with ceramic.

Also keep in mind, there is a lot of black on this bike, using black ceramic that is close to, but not a match, for the other black, could look goofy. I always try to either match perfectly, or make it an intentional mismatch, that compliments the bike.

Think about how the silencer is attached to the header/midpipe as well. If there is a long connecting pipe that is permanently attached to the silencer, that could be a problem. The ceramic typically goes into an oven to cure, you don't want say a carbon fiber silencer in that oven. The coater will not place a carbon silencer in that oven. That means disassembling the silencer to disconnect that connecting pipe, so that it can be coated, then reassembled afterward.

I see the end cap on the motor side is stainless, and a 3-4" pipe attached to the silencer. Your choices are:

Air cure ceramic
Don't coat the end of the silencer
Disassemble the silencer to separate the end cap, coat, then re-rivet

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fizzer. I was just thinking about that end cap issue. I assume that re-riveting would not be too difficult given the fact that the packing material is supposed to be changed and that requires removing the rivets and replacing them. You also make two good points on the black coating.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 5 S using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Titanium

It will get tiny pock marks in it from road debris. Titanium will hide it, black will not.

I have a lot of experience with ceramic.

Also keep in mind, there is a lot of black on this bike, using black ceramic that is close to, but not a match, for the other black, could look goofy. I always try to either match perfectly, or make it an intentional mismatch, that compliments the bike.

Think about how the silencer is attached to the header/midpipe as well. If there is a long connecting pipe that is permanently attached to the silencer, that could be a problem. The ceramic typically goes into an oven to cure, you don't want say a carbon fiber silencer in that oven. The coater will not place a carbon silencer in that oven. That means disassembling the silencer to disconnect that connecting pipe, so that it can be coated, then reassembled afterward.

I see the end cap on the motor side is stainless, and a 3-4" pipe attached to the silencer. Your choices are:

Air cure ceramic
Don't coat the end of the silencer
Disassemble the silencer to separate the end cap, coat, then re-rivet

+ 10000000

Can I change my vote???? I voted Black:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
These rivets are stainless, structural rivets. They are much harder to drill out, and harder to reinstall.

Not a deal breaker, but not like weak aluminum rivets.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So after a little research on the R77, I found that the front cap is actually MIG welded on. Only the end-cap is meant to be removed. So no-go on removing it to get it coated. So now, I have 2 options; Do the polish coating or go with a color and try to paint match with a high temp spray paint. I guess I could also just forget about the cap altogether, too.

Edit: It looks like the baffle is what is welded, so maybe all is not lost yet. I will know Monday when I get it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sent in a couple questions to Yoshimura regarding the disassembly of the muffler and they promptly called me this morning. The muffler can be completely disassembled with no issues, so I am going to move forward with the coating. I am still torn between black and titanium so it will probably be a game time decision on which one I go with. Thank you for everyone's opinions, they were certainly helpful.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I want to coat the rear of my exhaust black and do the headers in blurple tape

1 - 11 of 11 Posts