Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a long 4 days but I finally finished building Cecil's box. He goes with me everywhere so a bike is useless if he can't ride too. This was my first of probably many mods I will attempt on the FZ-09. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I saw a little dog riding with his owner on a Ducati Monster last month on Hwy 80. Back legs were on the front of the seat and his front paws were on the tank. Little dog had riding goggles on.

I was like, "WTF??!!" If I tried that, I'd be paranoid my dog would launch off the bike.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cecil's box is made of hardwood plywood wood glued together with 2" wide solid oak stock used for all the corner braces. The box and brackets were coated with truck bedliner spray.

The sides and bottom interior have custom panels made of 3/8" plywood with bedroll material glued to them (bottom panel also has a layer of soft foam too) and then covered with marine grade vinyl. Threaded wood inserts were installed in the front, rear, and side padded panels to bolt them in place. A stainless eye bolt is attached to the front, rear, and both sides of the box for use in securely holding Cecil inside the box in a seated position.

5 custom brackets were fabricated out of aluminum stock. The first one is u shaped and is mounted to the tail by sandwiching it between the 2 existing brackets. The next 2 brackets attach to that and also underneath the rear of the box. The other 2 L shaped brackets attach to the underside of the seat to the existing bolts as well as to the sides of the box near the front.

The underneath of the box also rests on the seat at the front and the rear to reduce stress on the brackets, and a space is left open under the box for mounting soft saddle bags on the rear seat when desired.

Wood Rectangle Box Plywood Hardwood Wood Table Plywood Games Machine Mecha Auto part Metal Auto part Floor Floor Flooring Rectangle

·
Registered
654 Posts
Slash has a pair of doggles, what did you make cecils helmet out of?
Siberian husky Canidae Carnivore Screenshot Font

Reactions: Safoo71

·
Registered
90 Posts
I see an Animal Planet--Dogs 101 segment in your future--have fun (looks like you have been for a while!)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Slash has a pair of doggles, what did you make cecils helmet out of?
View attachment 14859
The helmet was a real pita to make. I bought a mini hockey collectors helmet and trimmed the front so he could see out of it and added some padding. It was too heavy for him and he absolutely hated it. So I dremeled off most of the plastic including cut outs for his ears. After filing and sanding the edges smooth I coated it with truck bedliner spray and glued foam padding to the inside. Then I riveted a velcro strap to the front that goes under his snout, and I riveted a dog collar to the back. I had an extra DOT decal lying around so I put that on it too :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
I saw a little dog riding with his owner on a Ducati Monster last month on Hwy 80. Back legs were on the front of the seat and his front paws were on the tank. Little dog had riding goggles on.

I was like, "WTF??!!" If I tried that, I'd be paranoid my dog would launch off the bike.
Way Back When I used to ride around the neighborhood with our tricolor Sheltie sitting on my lap with her front feet on the crossbar pad. She loved it! Much better than just sticking her head out a window, I suppose...

She never tried to launch.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HAHA This is awesome!! I would love to do this!..If i had a dog :(
You can always adopt one from a kill shelter. I drove 300 miles each way to save Cecil from a kill shelter in Ohio only 1 day before his scheduled execution date. I rescued him exactly 4 years ago to the day (April 1 is the date I use for his birthday which is the anniversary of his execution date). He is such a great dog, and he has no fear on the bike. He actually barks to let me know he wants to pass someone. We pass horse trailers on the freeway at 90mph and he barks at the horses inside as we pass them :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
You can always adopt one from a kill shelter. I drove 300 miles each way to save Cecil from a kill shelter in Ohio only 1 day before his scheduled execution date. I rescued him exactly 4 years ago to the day (April 1 is the date I use for his birthday which is the anniversary of his execution date). He is such a great dog, and he has no fear on the bike. He actually barks to let me know he wants to pass someone. We pass horse trailers on the freeway at 90mph and he barks at the horses inside as we pass them :)
That's hilarious! And I will, I am currently going through the process of purchasing my first home. As soon as I get my own place, I can guarantee you that will be the first thing I do!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My second mod was to fix the loose fitting seat. It is a very simple fix. I installed 2 stick-on 1/4" high furniture pads to the bottoms of the rear rubber seat stoppers and also 2 more to the frame just behind the tank right where the small front rubber seat stoppers rest.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts