Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Visited the Yamaha Dealer last Friday to pick up the new CCT part. The sales mgr pulled up the tech info from Yamaha to show me the latest info.
I attached the info. If you are using the set screw/lock nut manual CCT adjustment, you might wanna read the info carefully... Yamaha does not like the manual adjuster... potential engine issues?????

FYI!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Definitely [email protected], can you post a higher resolution image- it's kid of hard to read some lines.
So effectively, Yamaha is saying that there is nothing wrong with the CCT and it does not mean it will cover it under warranty?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
This info has been out and posted for about a month.

Oddly, Yamaha was itself using this fix in the early days of the issue.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Thanks for posting this-very interesting reading. Looks like they are aware that some of the original CCT's have plungers that stick and won't properly adjust, it even says the new part has been 'refined' to eliminate this issue. What I don't understand is why they caution so strongly against the set screw/manual adjust method. With manual CCT's on so many other bike models, why is it an issue with this tensioner? Is it the design of the 09's CCT that precludes it from being manually adjusted? What about the guy who grenaded his brand new motor because of the faulty CCT and DIDN'T have the set screw installed? So are we supposed to just ride it without the Fizzer fix and hope that our chain doesn't jump a tooth and destroy our motors? What is the potential for damage riding WITH the set screw in there. This actually just makes it more confusing and brings up more questions. Thanks Yamaha, you've been far from helpful...

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Note, the warning is not about the kit, but warns about setting improper tension. People installing the kit, are adjusting their tension, and in doing so, could do it incorrectly, causing issues that Yamaha will not warrant.

Is it a surprise to anyone that rolling up to your dealer with a modified part, then asking for a warranty replacement on said part, is perhaps not brilliant?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
My only problem with the manual fix, is it doesn't rattle anymore. So now I have to take the set screw and nut out, then adjust the CCT so it rattles and put the stock bolt back in before I go to the dealer.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
My only problem with the manual fix, is it doesn't rattle anymore. So now I have to take the set screw and nut out, then adjust the CCT so it rattles and put the stock bolt back in before I go to the dealer.
That is what I am going to do once I feel confident that Yamaha actually has a tensioner that will not fail. I am still not convinced that #3 is a long term reliable part.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I think on a forum it is easier to tell when something is unreliable than to know it's reliable. And for this I don't expect Yamaha will give us good statistics.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yamaha are just pissed that everyday consumers can rectify a problem with a new part before their multi million dollar engineering department can.

·
Registered
209 Posts
What load of crap is this? All Ive heard when this issue was just starting to turn epidemic was the long wait for the new tensioner. Dealers giving the runaround, Yamaha shucking and jiveing. People being told it wouldnt harm a thing, just go ahead and ride it, try not to listen to how it sounds like a pos ready to skip a tooth. Whatever man...

I had my bike at my favorite dealer yesterday for a full service and sag adjustment... I didnt say one word about the tensioner as the manual fix is working just fine thank you very much. I suppose if my motor ever has a real problem I better remember to take it out but I cant remember shit these days.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Funny, customers have gotten bikes back from dealers, who installed exactly what we have installed, the Travis/Fizzer kits. Dealers installed this as a fix sanctioned by Yamaha.

Yamaha is losing credibility with me.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Someone ask for a high res image... This is from a photo.... try saving the file and using a photo editor to enlarge it...????

I'll try to get the scanner working, maybe tomorrow.... but the file I is going to be so large the forum won't let it through????

Is there a specific section that you need to enlarge? I could shoot that section separately??????

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Funny, customers have gotten bikes back from dealers, who installed exactly what we have installed, the Travis/Fizzer kits. Dealers installed this as a fix sanctioned by Yamaha.

Yamaha is losing credibility with me.
They're just pissed that you've done what they can't-provide us the ability to ride the new bikes we bought without worry. I can understand them not covering a grenaded motor if someone has manually adjusted it waaayyyy too tight, that's on the individual who did it, but how can they initially recommend the set screw fix to their service departments-who for the most part employ clowns and kids, yet now say this is NOT an approved way to fix it? I'm pretty confident I can snug up the plunger tension screw as well or better than the service tech's at my local dealer. And... If they knew about this issue 8 months ago, they should have issued a recall and worked a little harder to have enough revised CCT's available to replace them for everyone who needed, or thought they would need, the revision, instead of dragging their feet. A two plus month back order and idiot service departments who don't believe their customers instill no faith in me whatsoever. I agree with Doug; I will keep my Fizzer fix in and wait until the 03 revision has proven itself over time. Of all the members on this forum, not ONE who has installed the set screw mod has(as yet) had any issues with it-and many people have logged thousands of miles with the set screw in.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I dont understand what their issue is with a set screw...all it does, if adjusted properly is keep the stock junk part from backing out which would cause a real issue...too loose of a cam chain is not good......i can see if someone adjusted the stock tensioner way too tight or too loose or jammed the set screw way in that there might be an issue but if adjusted properly what the heck is their problem with it??? maybe that someone other than them fixed what should never have been an issue in the first place???

I guess we should be happy we dont have 88 pages of forum talk dedicated to cracked rods or rims splitting in half.... :)

we should start a sticky and add up all the trouble free miles we all have on using the set screw fix.... ive got over 800

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Someone ask for a high res image... This is from a photo.... try saving the file and using a photo editor to enlarge it...????

I'll try to get the scanner working, maybe tomorrow.... but the file I is going to be so large the forum won't let it through????

Is there a specific section that you need to enlarge? I could shoot that section separately??????
That was me. The first page (left hand side) has the info to adjust the CCT...it would serve as a sticky to us all to see what Yamaha is suggesting.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
They're basically suggesting you take your brand new bike to their inept service departments and let the kids they employ monkey around with it. Their suggesting the 1/4 turn-check for noise, 1/4 turn more if needed, but no more than 270 degrees total, the same procedure many of us have done ourselves. No thanks, Yamaha-I got it...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
installed the "new" CCT....

Not sure what to write here.... I pulled the Fizzer fix out, then started to remove the original CCT by removing the two bolts. Then noticed that whole mechanism was trying to pop out... so I stopped... then I noticed that the new CCT has hex head Allen wrench type shaft holding the spring in the compressed position...turning it CCW tightens the spring, CW lossens the spring... if you remove the hex head jobbie, blam, the spring extends to full extension. Then you need a long Allen wrench to re-compress the spring... then you need to hold it compressed while you re- install the hex jobbie. If there is no hex in there, the spring is not restrained? So, anyway, I removed the old CCT. It popped out when the bolts were loose. With the spring fully compressed, installed the new CCT. Once it's in... I turned the hex jobbie CW kinda like the Fizzer fix before installing the set screw. Turn CW until it hits resistance plus 1/4 turn. Then remove the hex jobbie and install the cover bolt. Looking at the two CCTs, they look the same so it's not clear if this is a fix... they fixed the "stiction"? And, there is still nothing to keep the spring tensioner from changing????

Anyway, the new CCT is in there. I'll see what happens.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
It's possible the change is internal and not visible. If stiction on the plunger, as they claim, is the problem, maybe they fractionally decreased the diameter of the plunger itself. I believe the hex head tension screw is what keeps the spring under compression/tension, and that's what we were tightening when we installed the Fizzer kit.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mo' pics

Here's a close-up of the procedure section of the OP photo and a side-by-side photo of the old CCT and the new CCT, different??? The springs are fully extended. The new CCT has a number on the top, 3.1 The hex jobbie is on the upper right.

thx, G.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts