Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shop has decided to keep my bike as precaution to prevent engine damage until late June for the dreaded CCT revision -003.

I was wondering if anyone has contacted Yamaha customer support about the inconvenience, and what the results of that conversation was. I am not thrilled about having bought a brand new bike just to have it taken out of service for so long due to a critical part failure but having never been in this unique predicament, wanted to gauge my recourse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I read yesterday that as of June 1st Fizzy kits will not be available. Glad I found the forum when I did. Of course you can still go pick up the parts for each fix yourself, but the ship-to-home was nice. Better jump on it everyone. I have racked up 6300 miles since Jan. 25, and i had no issues until the odometer read 6000. 2 dealerships told me, "We have heard nothing about this." Yeah, ok. Decided to fix myself. For peace of mind.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not going to be mad at the shop for trying to protect my bike from further damage... They're trying to help. If they gave it back and the engine decided to eat itself, then id be mad.

I did the fizzyfix and got it to the shop, but the cct was extraordinarily loose on the ride prior to the fix. I mean, super duper loose. Like a 2$ hooker in dc kinda loose. The bike is still under warranty and I wanted the -003 part to keep it that way, so I took it in, and after 2 weeks, called and was told the backorder ETA. That about brings us right up to now where I'm sitting here posting this to see if anyone else had any luck with yamaha customer service.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I'm with jonboy on this one......it's your bike. You are the one that decides if/when it gets ridden. I'd take the bike back, fix the issue myself and be on my merry way.....OR.....I tell them to keep the bike and give me a brand new or demo FZ09 to ride until the part comes in. I'd also check into the Lemon Laws in your state.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Man, you guys are harsh. If only it were that easy. Ive been down that road before and its not an easy one. If I fix it myself, I'll still be waiting 40 days for the part and be out 90$. Doesnt matter if the bike is at the shop or in my garage, its not getting ridden in its current condition, otherwise the warranty is void because the fizzerfix directly modifies the affected part. The only reason fizzyfix is on was to get it to the shop. What I would however like, is an extended warranty as a result of the broken confidence due to the issue, and a gift bag (novelty crap, like a hat and a shirt for my nephew) as compensation and penance for the new bike being out of service. That'd make me happy. I think anything beyond that would just be trying to take advantage of the situation and thats not my style.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
With the cct properly adjusted and fizzer kit securely installed per the directions you should have no issues riding the bike . My dealership recommended I not ride the bike until the new part came in but gave it back to me and I rode it home and installed fizzers kit.

I even told the guy that's what I was doing and he said that's awesome - now you can still ride it.

Many have done the same and have had zero problems with the bike. If you want to be over cautious - that's fine, but a large majority of us have fixed this in 5 minutes and have logged thousands of miles with no issue.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my hot secretary, dictated but not read

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
The shop has decided to keep my bike as precaution to prevent engine damage until late June for the dreaded CCT revision -003.

I was wondering if anyone has contacted Yamaha customer support about the inconvenience, and what the results of that conversation was. I am not thrilled about having bought a brand new bike just to have it taken out of service for so long due to a critical part failure but having never been in this unique predicament, wanted to gauge my recourse.
Sorry, but that was your mistake. I put the fix on mine before it ever rattled. I would buy the part before I let the dealership touch my bike.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I read yesterday that as of June 1st Fizzy kits will not be available. Glad I found the forum when I did. Of course you can still go pick up the parts for each fix yourself, but the ship-to-home was nice. Better jump on it everyone. I have racked up 6300 miles since Jan. 25, and i had no issues until the odometer read 6000. 2 dealerships told me, "We have heard nothing about this." Yeah, ok. Decided to fix myself. For peace of mind.
You guys have gotten lazy expecting another member on the forum to take his hard earned time to make the parts available for you. I spent my time locating the parts and doing it myself. Shame on you. No wonder why he is going away. The parts needed are listed in the thread by Travis.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Man, you guys are harsh. If only it were that easy. Ive been down that road before and its not an easy one. If I fix it myself, I'll still be waiting 40 days for the part and be out 90$. Doesnt matter if the bike is at the shop or in my garage, its not getting ridden in its current condition, otherwise the warranty is void because the fizzerfix directly modifies the affected part. The only reason fizzyfix is on was to get it to the shop. What I would however like, is an extended warranty as a result of the broken confidence due to the issue, and a gift bag (novelty crap, like a hat and a shirt for my nephew) as compensation and penance for the new bike being out of service. That'd make me happy. I think anything beyond that would just be trying to take advantage of the situation and thats not my style.
It is that easy, tighten the damn tensioner, secure the nut, forget about it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I have 100% faith in the fizzerfix. But that doesn't keep my warranty in tact and I'd like to let Yamaha assume that risk instead of my wallet. I don't want to debate the merits of doing the fizzerfix either, I know it works and im not arguing against it. Id buy fizzer a beer if he were in my area for the service hes done. Im an advocate for it, it got me to the dealership after all.

Ive had issues with catastrophic engine failure and warranty in the past with Audi so allow me to delve into an anecdotal presentation for a moment. They pretty much flat out refused to fix the blown engine due to a minor diverter valve fix. The stock valve was a spring and diaphragm and the boost pressure would split and shred the diaphragm. So we all came up with a nifty solution to change it to a piston actuated one. Well, one day the engine went. Completely unrelated, it spun a bearing. I towed it in to have it fixed and was shocked to get a call saying they won't touch the car. Once they said no, it was on me to either lawyer up and prove it wasnt the valve despite the magnuson-moss act. I didn't have the financial ability to lawyer up to fight it. As a result, if there's a warranty on a high priced item and no real need to void it, i wont. That situation is very reminiscent of this one, therefore, im going through the proper channels. I have built my fair share of engines, but that was a hobby and I don't have time to gamble with in the foreseeable future to take on that project on a brand new bike.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yeah it's up to every vehicle's owner to decide the level of warranty risk etc to accept. Before I even had a tick I sourced a fix, doesn't need a set screw, an ordinary stainless bolt fit mine fine. But with Grishbok's history/situation..., makes sense to be sure it's in Yamaha's lap.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I agree with Bob on this. Warranty coverage, which is something that most of us don't need/use nearly as often as is the term of it, but it's still there if you haven't modified anything. All of us that have undertaken the ECU reflash are in the same boat so to speak, but it is a risk that we take if the engine goes south and they want to dispute it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just a heads up. I just spoke with a yamaha rep today about the cct issue. A manual tensioner/ fizzer kit is not approved by yamaha as im sure most people realize. Installing it will void your warranty. Props to fizzer and the time he put into finding this fix tho. Just wanted to share what the rep said.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Isnt Yamahas response just common knowledge? What they are saying is, don't be an idiot and show up at the dealership with the set screw installed... Remove it first.
No manufacturer will warrant a part that has clearly been modified by the owner. It won't void your warranty on the BIKE, but on the CCT, sure. Is this really news?

They are doing you a favor, and reminding you to remove the kit before having the part replaced under warranty. This way, they are still on the hook. It was nice of them to remind us!

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have 100% faith in the fizzerfix. But that doesn't keep my warranty in tact and I'd like to let Yamaha assume that risk instead of my wallet. I don't want to debate the merits of doing the fizzerfix either, I know it works and im not arguing against it. Id buy fizzer a beer if he were in my area for the service hes done. Im an advocate for it, it got me to the dealership after all.

Ive had issues with catastrophic engine failure and warranty in the past with Audi so allow me to delve into an anecdotal presentation for a moment. They pretty much flat out refused to fix the blown engine due to a minor diverter valve fix. The stock valve was a spring and diaphragm and the boost pressure would split and shred the diaphragm. So we all came up with a nifty solution to change it to a piston actuated one. Well, one day the engine went. Completely unrelated, it spun a bearing. I towed it in to have it fixed and was shocked to get a call saying they won't touch the car. Once they said no, it was on me to either lawyer up and prove it wasnt the valve despite the magnuson-moss act. I didn't have the financial ability to lawyer up to fight it. As a result, if there's a warranty on a high priced item and no real need to void it, i wont. That situation is very reminiscent of this one, therefore, im going through the proper channels. I have built my fair share of engines, but that was a hobby and I don't have time to gamble with in the foreseeable future to take on that project on a brand new bike.
Take the bike back.
Fit the Fizzer kit.
Ride the bike.
When the the part comes in,take the bike to get it fitted under warranty.Tell the dealer you did not ride the bike with a loose cam chain while you waited for the part.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Take the bike back.
Fit the Fizzer kit.
Ride the bike.
When the the part comes in,take the bike to get it fitted under warranty.Tell the dealer you did not ride the bike with a loose cam chain while you waited for the part.
^^ this..
If it was my bike, I'd at least want it sitting at my house under my watch instead of the back of the shop or pushed outside when it's in the way.

My dealer said Yamaha has issued a service bulletin to go thru a process of adjusting it and riding it. If after multiple adjustments it still fails they will replace. He also said the engineers at yami are working on an improved quiter model due to consumer complaints. Yamaha also told him the noise was normal but they wanted to quite it down because of the complaints.. Haha.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts