Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive recently been hearing that some people who've gotten the revised -03 CCT installed are beginning to experience the same chain slap sound that the originals made, although I understand not as bad as the original one. I'd like to see how many of you had the revision installed, how many miles you've ridden with it, and if you're starting to experience the same noise. If it looks like the revision is susceptible to the same issues, and since I'm having a bitch of a time getting my dealer to comply, before I force their hand by calling Yamaha directly I'm curious what the general consensus is among members who've gotten the revision. If this ends up being a 'bandaid fix', I'd just as soon hold off until Yamaha produces a more permanent fix and keep using the 'Travis mod', with the set screw generously donated by Fizzer(Thanks Fiz). Mahalo Gang...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yes, moving forward now. I remember seeing some pics of the new vs the old, but I don't remember a ride report on it.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Honestly, haven't had a problem with this yet... but appreciate the efforts of everyone else ahead of me, as I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it's also my problem.

With that being said.

Of all of the possible problem(s) that could be plaguing this bike (a brand new engine design/model/etc.), I'll take a craptastic CCT any day of the week.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Soon we should have members with 400-800 miles to see if things are staying tight. I'd like to see 6 months on the new tensioners before I switch. Hate to waste my time with another imperfect fix.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I did the mod with a new screw that allows me to tighten down on it after i set the tensioner, and I just hit 4000 miles today and i don't get even a rattle. But i'm gonna put the original set screw on it and get the new tensioner under warranty.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think they tried something new with the CCT on the new motor but clearly there's issues. The motor is awesome, but I'd love to hear some engine guys weigh in on the long term effects of cam chain wear if the CCT itself is not working correctly or if the manually adjusted tension screw is too loose or(worse) too tight and continues slapping the chain guide for a couple thousand or so miles. Hate to have something internally catastrophic happen 1 day after my warranty expires...

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, moving forward now. I remember seeing some pics of the new vs the old, but I don't remember a ride report on it.
I remember those pics too-except for the piece that contacts the plastic insert on the chain guide, they look pretty similar externally. I'm curious what they changed internally-or maybe it's something as simple as a different tension screw, idk...

·
Registered
651 Posts
As it is an oil pressure assisted tensioner,they may have altered the effective piston diameter and changed the force the tensioner applies.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agreed. They also could have widened the diameter of the oil pathway leading to the piston. That and the increased piston diameter would effectively give the piston more downward force(pressure). Curious what they did to keep the tension screw from backing itself out with vibration.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Soon we should have members with 400-800 miles to see if things are staying tight. I'd like to see 6 months on the new tensioners before I switch. Hate to waste my time with another imperfect fix.
This... I have 120 miles on my Travis fix and it's still smooth and quiet. Love it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts