Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Looking at an '08 CBR600RR for the wifey. The bike appears immaculate (paint, etc.), with Two Brothers exhaust and HID upgrades, dynojet power commander, frame sliders, new tires, K&N air filter, GIVI tank bag, factory service manual, tidy tail (all original parts that were removed are also included) with just under 20,000 miles. Bike is being sold because it's being replaced with a Ducati. He's asking 6700. Any idea if that's a good price point for this bike? I think he'll go as low as 6k, but wanted to get opinions from some more experienced guys here.

When I arrived to look at the bike, we spent as much time looking at my FZ-09 as we did the CBR.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Check the pricing at NADA Home Page and see what it brings up for pricing. I would figure on maybe an extra $300 to $350 for all the extras, as long as there is no major issues with the bike. Check the chain and sprocket too. Unless it's been replaced, it's most like at or near the end of it's life. 600RR's are very solid bikes and will run forever if maint is kept up.......we've got three of them here at the house....two '07s and a 2004.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had an '07 CBR600RR, 7000 miles, excellent condition, sold for $5500 (which was on the low end). You should be paying about $5000-5500 for an immaculate condition one due to the high mileage. More than that is not a good deal. Unfortunately, can't add the mod costs directly on top of a stock bike price equivalent, it doesn't work like that. Btw, great bike, does everything reasonably well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the pointers. I'll get to the research. The bike really is in immaculate condition save the mileage.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Props to your wife! I don't know how old you guys are but I couldn't handle that riding position for too long. At least the 06+ (i think 06 anyway) have raised clip ons above the triple tree - the only supersport that has this.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I've always used the average of approx. 4 to 5 thousand miles a year for a motorcycle. a 2008 bike, which is approx. 5 to 6 yeasrs old (depending on when it was put into service for the first time).......20,000 is about right on the mileage.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3T,

I'm not too worried about the mileage given the way this guys appears to treat his bikes. However, I tend to be a low mileage kind of guy when buying any vehicle. I bought a 10 year old F-350 with less than 50k on the clock and my 14 year old Dodge has less than 110k on it (bought it new). Either way, the bike looks great and if he's willing to drop the price a bit, I might be in the market. Thanks for your input on the mileage. I can value cars/trucks pretty easily, but motorcycles still tend to elude me.

Beck,

We're just shy of 40. I thought the riding position wouldn't be too great for the wifey given her back problems, but she says it's atually more comfortable for her than the 09's upright seating position.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I use to sell motorcycles for a living, back in the 2003 - 2006 time frame and basically, you get almost NOTHING for the "extras" that are on the bike. If you are looking at something that has say $2500 worth of exhaust, Power Commander, blah, blah, blah, those will account for about 10 to 12% "extra value on the bike.....and some dealers will not even allow that much.

On a side note, my wife and I both have CBR 600RR's for track bikes, both are track only and both of them live their lives at high RPM. Take care of them and they will just run and run.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
3T,

Thanks for the info. The wifey is very interested in this bike. Hopefully the pricing will work out.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Hey TG...any updates on the bike?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Eh, just my 2 cents but I'd keep looking for a Honda. The lower end torque and slightly higher bar height make a big difference. But just my opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Tiny.....on the R6 models, I know that there were a couple of years 2006-2007??? that had some issues with the motor. Seems there was a problem in the lower end at the crankshaft.....I'm thinking that they were spinning a main bearing or ?? Might be something that you want to look into. A friend of a friend spun one at a track day at Barber in 08 or 09......too long ago to remember, but it was definitely an R6 and I'm thinking it was a 2006 or 2007. I don't know if it was a wide spread issue, but definitely something there for sure.

I'd have to agree with Beck.....the 600RR, starting in '07 (redesigned engine), made a lot more torque at lower RPMs and you didn't have to rev it to the moon to get moving....unlike the R6

Reactions: Rayminator

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep my options open. We're not in a hurry. Thanks for all the honest feedback. I haven't owned enough bikes to figure this stuff out on my own.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
You're welcome.....I'd hate for anyone to buy one that has known issues......and ruin a perfectly good purchase.

·
Registered
88 Posts
ok, besides my cbr600 comments above, i also had a 2009 R6, lol. The CBR might be a better fit for your wife... more friendly, more comfortable, better low end torque. The R6 is a great 600 track bike, but no low end, way more aggressive stance, but it sounds amazing :)

EDIT: I sold my 2009 R6 with 6000 miles, perfect condition, not too long ago for $7000, so $6500 for the one you posted is an okay deal. 2008-2014 are the same model, 2007 is the older generation.... 2008 had lots of minor updates that made it a better bike, specifically suspension, but again the CBR might be a better fit.... 2007+ CBR600RR.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wifey has approved a 250 only. We found a 2010 Ninja 250R, 9k miles, $2400. Thoughts? Warnings? Issues? It's not about the torque/power/speed. She's looking for something she can control and build confidence on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts