Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my Cardo Slim JBL into a Shoie RF1200 helmet and am disappointed with the amount of volume (too low) the unit produces. It is barely audible while riding, and defiantly lower then I expected even when stopped.

I do wear foam ear plugs, and have checked that the speakers are positioned directly against my ears inside the helmet. Also updated firmware and checked my volume level kn my phone and unit were turned all the way up. Now waiting on a reply from Cardo, but am not holding my breath after reading the reviews of their customer service.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Looking for recommendation before sending the unit back. Happy to consider Sena units, but haven’t heard that they are louder.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Probably a stupid question here as I feel I'm in the minority with this one. But are you set on having external controls of phone/volume? I have iASUS xSound speakers in my helmet with a simple bluetooth receiver sitting on my chin curtain. I have no control while riding of volume or skipping songs (phone in my pocket). But if you have your phone on a ram mount you could still answer calls and pause music at your leisure if you get a BT receiver with a mic.

But I have no external controls with my setup. Speakers a killer though. I don't wear ear plugs, but it's too loud if I have the volume all the way up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i have the same exact set up, SHOEI helmet, and the JBL slim. True, too quiet or low volume for music, and no bass what so ever for me. But interestingly the intercom is stellar/ loud enough, lol
I also have an Iphone.

We dont need external controls, the Cardo voice commands works excellent. My friend has a same Cardo SLIM JBL, and works great . Once we paired them never had to do it again. turn i on and talk that is all.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have the same exact set up, SHOEI helmet, and the JBL slim. True, too quiet or low volume for music, and no bass what so ever for me. But interestingly the intercom is stellar/ loud enough, lol
I also have an Iphone.

We dont need external controls, the Cardo voice commands works excellent. My friend has a same Cardo SLIM JBL, and works great . Once we paired them never had to do it again. turn i on and talk that is all.

Thanks robevo for the reply, def got it primarily for the voice communication which I haven’t tried yet, but things like audio books were the same low volume. It’s almost like the BT signal coming in weakens the audio signal.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have a Slim in my GT-Air and the volume is fine. I don't have the JBL speakers though.

Try the radio feature...If that volume is fine, then you might need to force the bluetooth volume on your phone to push past the "safe setting" that is on by default on your phone. I had that issue with my first headset (Cardo Q3).

Try it out and let us know....

Edit:
Also, I too found that riding with foam plugs cut most of the volume. Was the same with my Q3. I hoped for better results with the Slim, but it was the same.
Now, if I'm just commuting, I ride as is. If I'm going out for a long day, I bypass the speakers and use Shure SE215 earphones which block the wind noise, yet let me hear my tunes / intercom / calls....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the cardio slim noon jbl and they aren't as loud as the low budget "buyee" cheap Chinese knockoffs I used for years. I do like that I can play music and intercom at the same time but it can be challenging to hear with them. I think wind noise in my helmet has a lot to do with it and like you I also wear ear plugs when riding.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for replies!

Double checked my phone settings again, and found that there are two setting on iOS that limit volume. I had the “volume limit” turned off, but the “sound check” was still enabled. Both need to be turned off for max volume. It helped, and probably gave only 10% more volume.

Did check the FM radio, still feel it’s just not loud enough for the premium price. Have not had the chance to check the comm feature volume, but for $500/pair leaning towards exchanging the unit.

Anyone have experience with both Cardo Packtalk Slim and the (much cheaper!) Sena SMH10? Only does 4 riders and sounds like it’s a pain to pair, but that will meet my needs and seems like a much better value for half the price.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-smh10r-bluetooth-headset-dual-pack?rrec=true

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just installed my Cardo Slim JBL into a Shoie RF1200 helmet and am disappointed with the amount of volume (too low) the unit produces. It is barely audible while riding, and defiantly lower then I expected even when stopped.

I do wear foam ear plugs, and have checked that the speakers are positioned directly against my ears inside the helmet. Also updated firmware and checked my volume level kn my phone and unit were turned all the way up. Now waiting on a reply from Cardo, but am not holding my breath after reading the reviews of their customer service.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Looking for recommendation before sending the unit back. Happy to consider Sena units, but haven’t heard that they are louder.
You can't wear earplugs and complain about volume. Agreed, the volume isn't loud enough in my RF1200 w/o earplugs, but would never expect to hear much with earplugs!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Take out the ear plugs! The Cardo volume is not good, but get the wax out of your ears!

Tom

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
You can't wear earplugs and complain about volume. Agreed, the volume isn't loud enough in my RF1200 w/o earplugs, but would never expect to hear much with earplugs!
I think your theory is flawed. Earplugs eliminate wind noise, which makes other sounds come through more clearly. "Biker" types love to say that they don't wear helmets because they block out noise and they can't hear traffic. Which is complete bullshit. Same holds true for earplugs. I hear traffic, and my own bike, much better when I wear earplugs.

I recently started using a Cardo Freecom 4+ system. I've never used a helmet speaker system before, but I've started taking my son for rides on the back of the bike, and I wanted to be able to talk to him when we ride.

I use E-A-R classic foam plugs when I ride, and with the Cardo system and JBL speakers in my Arai Signet, I have NO PROBLEM carrying on a conversation with him, even at freeway speed. And this is in a normal, conversational voice, not shouting or anything.

I haven't used the set yet to listen to music from my iPhone or iPod, but I did try listening to FM radio, and I found the sound quality to be lacking. I put this down to the quality of the FM receiver, rather than anything to do with the speakers.

From my experience, the sound level from the JBL's when used as an intercom is perfectly acccpetable, and that's the main reason I bought the system. Hopefully, when I try listening to music it's just as good. But if it's not, I can't blame the speakers...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a slim without the jbI. I like to use audio apps that have a boost or graphic equalizer. Works ok at 75 with earplugs.

Windshields and windblast can affect your results.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the freecom 4+ system in a very noisy hjc cl17 helmet with no ear plugs I stream Spotify through my phone constantly and the volume is very loud. If I turn my head wrong and my jacket hits the volume wheel it blows my ears out. And I was diagnosed with a 20% hearing loss 30 years ago. If you can't fix it in settings then you must have a defective unit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts