Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i connect my Garmin car Gps on the usb connector in the right scoop?

Some said that the current on the alternator of a motorcycle was not stable and will damage the gps and i need to buy a Motorcycle Gps that cost lots of $, it is right?

Another option is to connect the Gpas directly on the battery, i need your help!

·
Registered
120 Posts
the aux power in the right scoop is 12v and has a 2amp fuse...as long as your gps doesn't need more juice than that you should be ok.

I'm running a Garmin Nuvi unit from mine and it works perfect.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice and im novice, what i need exactly to connect my Gps, do i need convertor or just an adaptor from the connector to usb port?

·
Registered
120 Posts
This is what i jerry-rigged together on my bike. it's been working great so far.

Bought this USB charger, and used the extra cable from my Battery Tender to connect it to the AUX power output in RH scoop. If you don't have the cable, they're pretty cheap.

I simply stripped the wires and stuck them into the + and - terminals of the connector and then zip tied and heat shrinked it for water-proofing.

If you want to go all out, you can buy the actual Yamaha connector on this website

The charger fits perfectly between the handlebar and tach cluster between the clamps. It also has a connected cap so should be pretty water resistant when not in use.

Good luck!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you!

As for the connector, there are many models, what is the exact part number to buy?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts