Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Can't up-shift if I don't squeeze clutch all the way

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  DNFDOUG 
#1 ·
My 1st post, nice to meet you guys :)

I just got the bike and took it for a spin. Amazing machine, especially for a noob like me. Not without a few (1st world) problems:

1. Twitchy throttle. I'll send it to Stoltech as soon as I figure out how to remove the chip.
2. I have to squeeze the hell out of the clutch lever in order to be able to up shift - I would say at least 3/4. Not sure if it's just not broken in yet, it's me not knowing how to ride, something wrong with the lever, etc. I would love to be able to quickly shift at 1/4 or even 2/4. Any idea what's going on?

Thanks

#2 ·
Congrats on the bike, and welcome to the forum. Ideally you really shouldn't need to pull in the clutch more than 1/4 of the total travel of the lever-just enough to disengage the clutch plates. Is it adjusted correctly? There should be some free play in the lever itself-approx. 10-15mm. The adjustment procedure is in the owners manual(page 7-20). Not knowing how you're attempting to upshift, could it possibly(no offense, please) be your technique? This bike actually has a pretty smooth clutch and transmission. If you're new to bikes, there is a bit of a learning curve to pull off smooth up/downshifts. Maybe with more seat time it'll become second nature to you. Best of luck...

#5 ·
Could be your clutch has too much free play or it could also be normal break in. Shifting will get smoother and easier with a few miles. Combo of break in and adapting to the bike I think. Mine is the easiest shifting bike I have owned now but was a little stiff at first. Your experience may vary.

#6 ·
Thanks for chipping in, I'll let you know how it goes. If I don't die first :)

#8 ·
Easiest and best way to adjust clutch cable: look at the lever on the engine the cable attaches to. Pull on the clutch a teensy bit to see if lever moves. If not pull a little more and see if lever moves. I adjust cable to where there is just a little bit of free play (pull a teensy bit, if no movement, pull a little bit more, lever at engine case starts to move). You want a little slack but not much. Just enough that the clutch is completely 'closed' when the lever is not depressed. If you are pulling the lever more than 1/4 inch before the lever on engine case moves it is too loose for me. Tastes may vary.

#10 ·
You should be able to shift up without the clutch anyways... Not in all situations but when hauling ass, you can shift without the clutch.

#12 ·
My 1st post, nice to meet you guys :)

I have to squeeze the hell out of the clutch lever in order to be able to up shift - I would say at least 3/4. Not sure if it's just not broken in yet, it's me not knowing how to ride, something wrong with the lever, etc
There is something very wrong with your technique or your bike. On up shifts the shift lever should move easily as soon as there is no longer any load on the gears, regardless of how much or any use of the clutch. Maybe you're waiting so long before trying to shift that the gears are being loaded in the reverse direction (decelerating).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.