Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My friend just moved to Toronto from Singapore and is finding it a hard country to start biking. I never knew it would be so hard to start off there! My questions below are for him- any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

1. He now figured out that he could probably get a M2 license to begin with- he has a license from Singapore to ride motorcycles though...is there a way he can get a full license? And how fast?

2. He needs some good motorcycle gear- are there any physical store locations that he could go in the Toronto area? And are there online shops based in Canada?

3. Any other pointers for owning and riding a motorcycle in Canada.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. "... After 22 months, you can take the second road test. If you pass, you get a full M licence."
Linkage: https://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/get-motorcycle-licence

2. Canada's Motorcycle is a good online store and based in St.Laurent, Quebec.

3. Have a place to store it during the winter... outside it can get buried in snow and then rammed by the plow... :(
Thanks for the tips..
So does that mean, it is impossible to ride during winter? Aren't the streets in Toronto plowed regularly? Or is it only possible to ride on studded tires/

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'm sure the roads would be clear enough to ride some days, but it can get pretty cold... and if they're like us in the Maritimes, there will be a lot of salt or other anti-icing compounds on the road which tends to cause a lot of corrosion. I had two rides last winter here during a couple of thaws. Not sure what winter in TO is really like, but I know they have their storms like we do... probably just as miserable as we are! ;)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Ontario:
Studded tires may only be used North of Parry Sound and Nipissing districts and only from October 1 to April 30.
Northern Ontario residents may use studded tires anywhere in the province during this time.
Southern Ontario residents may only use studded tires in Northern Ontario. They could face a $1,000 fine if caught using them in Southern Ontario.
It would seem studded tires are illegal in Toronto and the rest of Southern Ontario...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The full regulations can be found here: Highway Traffic Act - R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 625

The important bit:
9. (1) No person shall operate a vehicle equipped with studded tires on a highway unless all of the following conditions are met:

1. The vehicle is operated during the period starting on September 1 and ending on May 31.

2. The permit holder of the vehicle is,

i. a resident of Northern Ontario,

etc...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Toronto is further south than several US states/cities. They don't get too many days where the roads are snow covered. Temp fluctuates from below freezing temps to above.

There's a great brick and mortar store just outside of the city called GP Bikes. Another large one on the city limits is Royaldistributing
In the city I know of Snowcity Cycle.

Online Canadian sites: Bluestreakracing.ca, www.canadasmotorcycle.ca.

Not much info on the Ontario Gov't website, other than if here for more than 3 months (visiting), your friend will need an International Drivers Permit from the country where he received his lincense. ontario.ca/driving-and-roads. I'll keep poking around to see if there's more info.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Here's some more info I came across:

drivetest.ca/EN/licencing

If you are a newcomer to Ontario and hold a driver's licence from another province or country, you are required to apply for an Ontario driver's licence within 60 days of residing in Ontario. If you hold a non-Ontario licence, you are legally allowed to drive in Ontario for 60 days before an exchange is required.
If you have less than two years of full class driving experience, you may get credit for your experience for graduated licencing and be issued a Class G2 or M2 licence. Once you have a total of two years of driving experience, you may take the G or M road test to earn full driving privileges.

If you hold a controlled class licence from a Canadian province or territory, once you are eligible to attempt the G road test, you must pass the road test within one year of the licence exchange to be issued the equivalent controlled class licence. If you pass the G road test after one year from the date of exchange, you will be issued a class G licence.

These conditions also apply to licenced motorcycle riders from other Canadian provinces, the United States, Australia, Northern Ireland, Switzerland and Canadian Forces Europe. However, there is currently no exchange agreement for motorcycle riders from the remaining jurisdictions.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I live 45min from downtown T.O. Population about 6 million so pending what end you live on.

Ya he wont be riding in the winter man..not a chance. Studded tires not permitted south of the town of Parry Sound in the Province of Ontario
Royal Distributing is his best bet for random riding Gear. He can shop on-line or go to the Store. One in Guelph were I live about 45min west of downtown or Innisfil about same 45min north of downtown. Big store everything you need. Parts and accessories too.
images.jpg

·
Registered
153 Posts
My brother in law rides his vstrom through most of the winter. However, he wiped out twice last winter and gave up. If we have another last last year (which they're calling for) he won't be riding anywhere. You don't get much further south in Canada then where I am and there's not a chance I ride past October!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I live 45min from downtown T.O. Population about 6 million so pending what end you live on.

Ya he wont be riding in the winter man..not a chance. Studded tires not permitted south of the town of Parry Sound in the Province of Ontario
Royal Distributing is his best bet for random riding Gear. He can shop on-line or go to the Store. One in Guelph were I live about 45min west of downtown or Innisfil about same 45min north of downtown. Big store everything you need. Parts and accessories too.
View attachment 10281
Why not south Ontario? And why only north? Seems like such specific rules. Thanks for the tips though.

My brother in law rides his vstrom through most of the winter. However, he wiped out twice last winter and gave up. If we have another last last year (which they're calling for) he won't be riding anywhere. You don't get much further south in Canada then where I am and there's not a chance I ride past October!
Makes me feel good about being here- even if e had the polar vortex last year, you guys probably had it worse! Will thinktwice before complaining about the snow next time!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Studs wreck the roads. Southern Ontario roads get alot of attention in the winter. Plowing, salting, brine etc etc. Studs aren't needed. Northern Ontario doesn't get near as much so they need all the help they can get!

·
Registered
49 Posts
image.jpg Dec 11 2013 Parry Sound. By Mid January the guide rail is totally buried.
Studs wreck the roads. Southern Ontario roads get alot of attention in the winter. Plowing, salting, brine etc etc. Studs aren't needed. Northern Ontario doesn't get near as much so they need all the help they can get!
I put them on my employees vehicles in Sudbury/North bay to Wawa. The guys up there already get flack from locals because I had them installed Oct 1st. law says you can install them Sept 1st and most don't realize that. Number 1 complaint is they are very loud..even from homeowners.

Anywhere along the NORTH shore of Huron and Superior they get hit hard with lake effect snow squalls not even close to the amount of population as Southern Ontario so the road degrading is minimum with studs. In Southern ON they don't get as much snow so really don't need them and with higher population the roads would be demo in no time at all.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I don't live in Ontario but have friends who do, the worst part isn't the snow, it's the freezing rain that you have to worry about. It turns the roads into a skating rink with lots of black ice. Just take a look on youtube, do a search for "Ontario roads freezing rain" and you will see what I mean. No way you will be able to stay up on anything with less that 3 wheels. And no a Can-am Spyder would suck even if you could find snow tires for it, to much torque and you can turn off the traction control.

Freezing rain on the roads like this, even hard to walk on and not end up on your butt.

He might be able to get around with a Ural Ural Canada Motorcycles, Russian Side Cars, 705-740-9005 or a motorcycle with a side car. The owner of an old motorcycle shop here in Calgary use to ride his Yamaha with a side car all year round. Good old Walt Healy (god rest his sole) lived and breathed motorcycles, I remember seeing him in the dead of winter, snow like crazy and he was on his old Yamaha headed into the shop.

About - Walt Healy Motorsports (Est. 1931)Calgary, Alberta, CanadaWe are closing permanently as of March 31, 2014Thank you to all for the many great years ofloyal customer support. - See the black and white photo of his Yamaha with side car. Once he passed away the shop slowly went down hill until it closed, which is too bad.

You can find the odd used Ural in Ontario, only good place to look is on kijiji.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/mississauga-peel-region/2008-ural-patrol-classic-2wd-side-car-750cc/1016803244?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

·
Registered
120 Posts
You sold me on a ural. I remember a cw review that said riding one was like dancing with a drunk Russian 3 legged bear. You kinda had to let the bear lead, but it was still a lot of fun, until it wasn't anymore.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, keep the good info coming. I love the Urals too- probably the answer for all season riders? Except the sidecar makes it as wide as a car....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
7 Participants
Rocky_MTN_FZ09
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
We’re the largest Yamaha forum for owners and enthusiasts of the FZ-09 and MT-09. The site has thousands of topics covering performance and reliability, photos, videos and more!
Full Forum Listing