Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
I notice the Canadian review says the Z-09 does fine on regular gas. I thought the bike called for 92 octane? Anybody out there that has one know the correct answer? I'm just wondering. Premium is do darn expensive. It's a $50 bill to fill my snowmobile in the winter. It would be nice if the engine runs smoothly on 87.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I notice the Canadian review says the Z-09 does fine on regular gas. I thought the bike called for 92 octane? Anybody out there that has one know the correct answer? I'm just wondering. Premium is do darn expensive. It's a $50 bill to fill my snowmobile in the winter. It would be nice if the engine runs smoothly on 87.
I can only tell you this: My dealer gets and uses 87 octane, pure, no ethanol, gas from Tennessee Co-op. My FZ09 was filled by my salesman with it. It ran fine, without pre-ignition, stumbling or any other problems. But since it says clearly, on the tank, "91 octane or better", when I got about 80 miles on it, I filled with Co-Op 93 octane, and it seemed a little quicker. I will continue to use the 93 octane, pure gas from Co-Op when I can.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Thanks for the input. Our local stations usually have premium that's 91, and a couple offer 92. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone with 93 in these parts. The difference here between regular and premium is about .20 a gallon. I guess it wouldn't break the bank with such a small tank in the first place. But over time, it all adds up.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought the UK used a different rating; their 93 would be US 91, I believe.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well, Will, putting things into perspective, I guess it depends on the value you apply to your "fun". I, for one, place a great deal of value on mine, and I always have. At 74, and not knowing when my riding pleasures may be unceremoniously curtailed, increases that value.
Have fun, my friend, and, as long as no one has to suffer for it, kick butt!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts