Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this disclaimer somewhat interesting on the Canadian FZ-07 web site.

Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.

I don't know if Yamaha always does business this way, or this is a hint that the 07 is coming this way. They certified the mileage using EPA standards. Are they teasing me again?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yes, they are teasing you, take it personally. ;)

I have no idea, maybe Canada is a small market for them so Yamaha uses USA emission standards for all bikes north of the border? Um, or east of the border...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'm willing to bet the 07 comes here at some point. Why would you bring it to the Canadians and ignore the US market...it makes no sense to me. We have year round riding in some areas of the country, and Canada is very seasonal.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'm pretty sure they use the US standard for testing simply because it is the largest market in North America, not necessarily because it will be sold in the US market. They wouldn't use/create a different system just to please us canadian folks! :p Maybe the US standards are the most stringent in NA?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Maybe the US standards are the most stringent in NA?
That's an amazingly correct statement (but replace NA with, quite possibly, the world), but for more than just the motorcycle market. There are many motor vehicles that never made it to the states because of our safety and emissions standards. One of the more infamous examples is the lack of legal Porsche 959s in the US. Without EPA and DOT certifications, there are stories of imported 959s being held by customs for a decade or more. Personally, I blame California! :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This whole thing gives me hope. If the bikes meet U.S. EPA standards, it would stand to reason that I could import one to the states. Oh wait, customs is now under homeland security. Why am I suddenly losing hope?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
This whole thing gives me hope. If the bikes meet U.S. EPA standards, it would stand to reason that I could import one to the states. Oh wait, customs is now under homeland security. Why am I suddenly losing hope?
Yeah that sounds right to me too. The Canadian bikes that we DON'T get is because they DON'T pass US EPA regulations. So...that means the FZ-07 is ready to be sold here already.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'm willing to bet the 07 comes here at some point. Why would you bring it to the Canadians and ignore the US market...it makes no sense to me. We have year round riding in some areas of the country, and Canada is very seasonal.
I think it's because we're pussies up here, and like smaller displacement bikes. Oh wait, that can't be right... :p

I was at the shop yesterday and the sales guy who sold me my bike said he was at a demo ride all day and tried the 07. He said it's also an awesome wheelie machine! Says you sit a bit more upright and back so it wheelies no problem :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think it's because we're pussies up here, and like smaller displacement bikes. Oh wait, that can't be right... :p

I was at the shop yesterday and the sales guy who sold me my bike said he was at a demo ride all day and tried the 07. He said it's also an awesome wheelie machine! Says you sit a bit more upright and back so it wheelies no problem :)
he was dog [email protected]@@n you m8....it wheelies where ever you sit!!! lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts