Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am new here but not to bikes. Been on bikes for over 30 years, more than 20 on the street. I have been reading some decent things about the FZ09 but one main concern I have for it is if it can handle the weight of two people? I have had a couple of street bikes in the past that were fine with one person but after a 2nd person gets on, they did not handle well at all.

From what I have read, the stock suspension is pretty soft and does not sound like it can carry the extra weight. I know that can be fixed but I am asking about it in stock form. Also, how about passenger comfort, how are your passengers doing for comfort levels?

Most of my riding is back roads and to work. My girlfriend is small, only about 5'-2" about 110 pounds and she looks pretty good on the back of my bike! I am about 5'-7" and about 165. She loves to ride with me and most of our rides are only for a couple of hours at a time due to kids. But we do plan on at least two trips a year where we go up to the mountains or somewhere and spend a few days on the bike riding and checking things out. ( Most of the time I will trailer the bike to where we are going.)

I have sat on a FZ09 and liked the way it felt sitting, it reminds me of my dirt days. The bike seems decent overall, I am not a huge fan of its looks but it is not too bad to me. My biggest concern is its handling with two up and little extra gear. I was thinking of finding something like a good used VFR800 but the FZ is on the list of bikes to be considered.

·
Registered
883 Posts
My daughter and I have ridden two up on the FZ-09 and had a great time with no problems. Unfortunately, I can't describe how the FZ-09 will be on a multi-hour ride for a couple hundred miles.

I was looking at a used VFR800 (with Helibars) as well before purchasing the FZ-09. I have always liked the VFR but the FZ-09 pulled my attention like few other motorcycles have ever done.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I weigh 225, in stock form the front would bottom out with only moderate breaking. No way I would ride 2 up with a stock set up.
I told my wife to get her own ride, or we could add a touring bike to the stable.....She has chosen her own bike.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
The owners manual says that the bike's capacity is something like 398 lbs, but honestly it's mushy enough with just me (220 lbs) with riding gear. My advice is that if you want to use it for two up, plan on upgrading the suspension....first thing. As far as comfort for a passenger, no clue. My wife rides her own bike, so I've never had anyone on the back of it.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
No, not in stock trim. You would need heavier springs on both ends. An ADV bike or a used VFR would be better suited for two up travel.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I think you'll be okay with a passenger, but it won't be comfortable for either of you. We tried... There just isn't enough room.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It will be way more comfy two up then most supersports but don't expect it to be as comfy as a touring bike with a passenger on the back.

Honestly with a 155lb rider and a 110lb passenger I wouldn't worry about the suspension unless you expect to do some really aggressive riding. The best thing you can do is practice and get her to understand how to follow your body position and how to adjust to having a passenger.

I was able to get my knee down on my old Hyosung gt650r pretty regularly this summer which had a shittier suspension then the FZ-09 with me 170lbs and my ex 90lbs on the back.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Vern, Peggy is showing better form. You are in trouble. LMAO.
Yea, she could teach the classroom session on body position....I get lazy sometimes and struggle with it. Besides, it's harder to get my belly tucked down that low! lol

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
962 Posts
The passenger seat is not padded well enough for more than short jaunts, and the passenger pegs are placed just perfect for my 6 year old. That works for me - since she's the only one I'll be carrying - but I am looking for a better seat or to modify mine. I was considering the *yawn nc700x for commuting with my daughter before I saw the MT09 break cover across the pond. The NC would be a better commuter, and better for carrying my daughter - but I couldn't resist the FZ09.

For carrying an adult - get some MFW Vario pegs from Twisted Throttle...
vario pega.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Since having the new MT-09 (I'm from Aus) my missus has been so keen to get on the back of the bike!
But;
The lack if quality suspension is more apparent (especially the shock being bouncy at times), and the seat being a bit hard and slidey. We both tend to slide forward too easily.
However she is ever more keen to get on the back now, so it gives me an even better excuse to upgrade the suspension ASAP, and look into getting the seat re-done (or look at what the Yamaha comfort seat has to offer).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
734 Posts
The passenger seat is not padded well enough for more than short jaunts, and the passenger pegs are placed just perfect for my 6 year old. That works for me - since she's the only one I'll be carrying - but I am looking for a better seat or to modify mine. I was considering the *yawn nc700x for commuting with my daughter before I saw the MT09 break cover across the pond. The NC would be a better commuter, and better for carrying my daughter - but I couldn't resist the FZ09.

For carrying an adult - get some MFW Vario pegs from Twisted Throttle...
View attachment 1648
Link for the pegs , thats what I was looking for

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
If I was looking for a bike in which I would carry a passenger a fair amount of the time I would look elsewhere. The FZ-09 is already a wheelie machine with one rider. Add more weight to the back and it could be borderline dangerous, certainly not confidence inspiring. Also, that fact that you don't like the looks does not help either.t

For what you describe I would suggest an adventure bike. The Yamaha Super Tenere is a great bike and handles the weight of a passenger quite well. It is a great all around bike and vastly superior to the FJR1300 I had previously in every way except HP.
Once you sort out the suspension the bike is way more stable and the wheely part kind of calm down a bit. I won't be surprise Yamaha upgrade the shock for next year... once you sort out the rear damper you find out how crappy and dangerous it was before.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts