Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my new 2015 FZ-09 Saturday. I have about 100 miles on it as of today. I would like to change the oil now. My question is, does the "factory oil" have any kind of special break in additives that have benefits during the break in period?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I hardly think too soon could be too soon. I've heard of 25 miles, then 100, 300, 600, 1000. Everyone's different. I did first around 200 miles but ask 100 owners here and Id bet you get 80 different answers.

Use the Search Box top right to check All the Oil Change threads. I'm sure there's a few. :)

Boca Raton...???

Reactions: DNFDOUG and Boca

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
In terms of hurting the bike, chaining the oil more often or sooner than needed will never hurt the bike. In terms of wasting money, well now that is anther story. But you might as well go ahead and change it. It won't cost you much.

·
Vendor
1,527 Posts
I ride my bike home from the dealer and change the oil and filter with conventional oil then at 1000 miles switch to synthetic or semi synthetic

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Not too early, just make sure you change the filter too. There was a good thread Lucky Devil put up where she cut open her oil fitler and you could see all the metallic shavings in there. Mine was pretty clean though i did see some - i swapped out at 200 miles then again at 700, now i'm doing every 3,000. Will switch to synthetic at 6,000.

In no way do i think my process is right - like others have said - everyone has a "right" way of doing it. As long as you're changing it out regularly - nothing to worry about in terms of exact mileage in my opinion.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I spent my teen years living there, in an apartment complex off of Powerline & Palmetto Pk. I thought it a miserable place to live. =P
Thanks a lot. Why don't you tell us what you really think of the "area" where I live.....??? :(

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Not too early, just make sure you change the filter too. There was a good thread Lucky Devil put up where she cut open her oil fitler and you could see all the metallic shavings in there. Mine was pretty clean though i did see some - i swapped out at 200 miles then again at 700, now i'm doing every 3,000. Will switch to synthetic at 6,000.

In no way do i think my process is right - like others have said - everyone has a "right" way of doing it. As long as you're changing it out regularly - nothing to worry about in terms of exact mileage in my opinion.
May I ask, What's your reasoning for waiting until 6k mikes to switch to synthetic....??? Waiting makes sense to me, but to 6k...???

·
Registered
957 Posts
Thanks a lot. Why don't you tell us what you really think of the "area" where I live.....??? :(
Haha, I spent my entire life until the age of 21 living in South Florida. Born in Miami and spent my life moving back and forth between the tri-county (Dade, Broward, Palm Beach) area. I absolutely hated it because the roads were all arrow-straight which really limited the fun you could have on wheels (2 or 4), it was too hot and humid to be outdoors for any length of time for most of the year, the people were miserable pricks, and there was nothing to do that either a) wasn't insanely expensive, or b) didn't revolve around the beach, which lost its appeal by the time I was 8.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
May I ask, What's your reasoning for waiting until 6k mikes to switch to synthetic....??? Waiting makes sense to me, but to 6k...???
I should take that back - the bike is going into "storage" about now with about 4500 miles - just moved it to my brother's garage for the winter. Once i start it up in the spring - i typically change the oil and will use synthetic when i do this. If i just changed to 3k in the spring - i wouldnt do synthetic until 6k simply because i dont think its worth it to switch earlier than i have to.

There are differing opinions on this topic - what i was told is that even if using the motoman break in method - you still want to make sure the rings seat properly before switching. I've also read that if you ride it hard when you first get it - the rings seat and you're good to go - i dont know what's right but again this is just my thought process of what i do personally.

I probably could have switched already, but i used regular oil at 3k and i'm not doing an oil change in between that and next riding season.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha, I spent my entire life until the age of 21 living in South Florida. Born in Miami and spent my life moving back and forth between the tri-county (Dade, Broward, Palm Beach) area. I absolutely hated it because the roads were all arrow-straight which really limited the fun you could have on wheels (2 or 4), it was too hot and humid to be outdoors for any length of time for most of the year, the people were miserable pricks, and there was nothing to do that either a) wasn't insanely expensive, or b) didn't revolve around the beach, which lost its appeal by the time I was 8.
How could you not love living in a place like this? Boca Surf Cam.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I wish I had changed my oil prior to 600 miles after seeing what the oil looked like and what was sitting in the bottom of the drain pan after I poured it out.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Just dont switch to synthetic yet... Its viscosity is too high if the piston rings didnt completely seat yet you could have issues, use standard oil if you wanna swap it...kinda unnecessary to swap at 100 miles and a waste of money imo, but its your bike.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'd just wait til what the manufacturer recommends.. What is it again 600miles ? Perhaps the reason behind it is the metal shavings helps in honing the cylinders ?

I changed mine at 600 miles with regular 10w 40, and now its at 2000miles and one yr, i changed it to fully synthetic 10w 40. Still rides the same mind.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts