Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a Shoei Quest and I love it, super quiet, super comfortable, very light, good ventilation. I would recommend it. I would suggest trying one on at your local motorcycle shop if you are unsure of size, they tend to run a little tight.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have an RF-1100, also fantastic. Great airflow. Suits round to oval shape heads.

Best advice.....try many on, not just Shoei. Your head shape will not suit all types of helmet, or helmets from simply one manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I would go so far as to say that you should not just try it on, but wear it around the store for at least 15 minutes, preferably a half hour. Hot spots will develop after wearing it for a while that you won't necessarily feel just trying it on.

I've always had good luck with Shoei helmets, but last time I went helmet shopping I wanted to try on an Arai. Wore it around the store, and it felt fine for the first 10-15 minutes, but after 20 minute or so my forehead hurt and I started getting a headache.

Nothing sucks more than dropping several hundred dollars on a helmet that is uncomfortable or painful.

·
Registered
570 Posts
That's funny, I bought a Shoei RF-1100 because it seemed fine in the store but it would give me a vicious hot spot after 20 minutes or so of riding. I ended up with an Arai Signet-Q, a great helmet but pretty damn expensive (almost $700). I still would love to find a helmet with the same long-oval fits as the Signet-Q but at a more reasonable price.

I actually was able to sell the Shoei for $100 less than I paid for it, and felt lucky to be able to do that. Sigh...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I had the Qwest but didn't like it - heads have wasn't for me (really bad hot spot in the middle of my forehead), fogged like crazy and the liner was non removable and not that comfortable. Switched to an Hjc Rps10 and love it.

Would try an RF series as a new helmet when the time comes but not sure the fz riding position is meant for that helmet.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
2,395 Posts
Find a local Shoei vendor and try some on... they are not one size fits all.
You can't go wrong with Shoei... great bang for your buck.

·
Registered
957 Posts
At the present time the RF-1200 is the best helmet Shoei makes, regardless of what you're looking for in a helmet. However when the X-12's replacement comes out soon (which I'm sure it will) It'll be the better choice for the dedicated track rider.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the new GT-Air, fits great, quiet & good air flow, flip down sun shield is great. Try a few, everyone's head is a bit different.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Find a local Shoei vendor and try some on... they are not one size fits all.
You can't go wrong with Shoei... great bang for your buck.
I agree, I wish Shoei would just copy the fit of the Arai Signet-Q so I could save some serious bucks.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I owned a ton of RF Shoei helmets. They didn't have removable liners, which seemed wierd because all of my motocross helmets had them. I still have a Shoei Hornet Dual Sport, and that helmet took me out of the Shoei market. They never really fit my oval head, pressed too hard on my forehead.

I now ride with a Bell RS -1 after a long hiatus. The quality is excellent, liner is super soft and plush, wind noise is much better than my HJC carbon Spies replica, and it is light. My two complaints are, no glasses channel, and poor rain seal for the shield (cured with silicone) . My transition shield rocks and it fits my bean head.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use to have a rf1000, but now have a x12. I am not a track guy but I am super happy with the x12. Plus I am a Toni Elias fan.

·
Vendor
2,395 Posts
I owned a ton of RF Shoei helmets. They didn't have removable liners, which seemed wierd because all of my motocross helmets had them. I still have a Shoei Hornet Dual Sport, and that helmet took me out of the Shoei market. They never really fit my oval head, pressed too hard on my forehead.

I now ride with a Bell RS -1 after a long hiatus. The quality is excellent, liner is super soft and plush, wind noise is much better than my HJC carbon Spies replica, and it is light. My two complaints are, no glasses channel, and poor rain seal for the shield (cured with silicone) . My transition shield rocks and it fits my bean head.
Funny... I went from a Shoei Hornet DS to a Bell RS-1 as well.
Love the RS-1... actually just picked one up for the wife.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
The Hornet liner loosened up a bunch on me and the plastic screws on the visor break when you look at them. I had to find aluminum screws and cut them to fit, all for a $500 helmet. I still take it abroad on Adventure Tours.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I would go with the rf-1200 for a street helmet that is trackable. The gt air is heavy and you cannot get on a race track with it. If you want a dedicated track helmet made by shoei get the x-12. The rd-1100 is nice, but the rf-1200 fit me better and has more features.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Everybody SWORE the Shoei Quest was whisper quiet. Not for me it wasn't. Been wearing Shoeis for 15 years....and the Qwest wasn't any better than the rest of them. I'm trying an AGV now. Less that 20 miles so no opinion yet.

·
Registered
244 Posts
All great advise, especial go local try one on secure the strap and go shopping..try jackets, gloves etc.
This even give you an impression how much you can see through the visor.

Another MN 38F ride... better have good gear, and a suited tire temp (30/36) brrrr it was cold :D
IMG_20140321_161514.jpg

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
The quietness of the Qwest depends on your head position, the more upright you ride the better vs the RF is meant to be slightly pointed downward (3/4 or tuck position)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts