Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully a good place to post this since it is about pics and video, but no pics or video (yet). I spent about a half hour in my garage putting my Contour camera all over my bike trying to find the perfect place to put it. I narrowed it down to two places. Either on top of the front brake master cylinder (the way the mount is shaped and where it will sit will allow access to the screws to take off the cap if need be), or on the side of one of the fake air scoops. Two concerns I have about these places...will the brake master cylinder, being on the handlebars, make the camera shake too much and make the picture blurry and does the master cylinder get hot? And will the close proximity of the air scoop position to the radiator be too hot for the camera/mount/adhesive? I really don't want the mount or it's adhesive to melt and the camera to fall off. For those who aren't familiar with them, the contour mounts are made of some type of rubber (hard but still flexible) and the mount to the bike, helmet, or whatever with a thin piece of factory cut 3M adhesive foam. Thankfully I have a Contour +2 and could connect it to my phone to see where the camera was looking so I could make sure those points were looking (mostly) straight ahead. I'll be putting the +2 on my helmet, and a ROAM 2 on the bike to get different perspectives. Thanks in advanced for any help or advice you guys can give me.

P.S.-Can't ride the bike to test this myself since I'm in Alaska and its about -10 outside with snow everywhere.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The brake reservoir doesn't get hot. I put my GoPro on the reservoir on my other bikes and it works great. I haven't mounted it on the FZ yet, but will soon.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome thanks. I've heard that this bike has next to no vibrations so it should work. Anyone here have anything to say about the side scoop location? or what about on top of the front fender? I think that would have a really good view but move around too much?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'm new to putting cams on bikes too.

Brian-2 has an older GoGro he has mounted a couple of places, on top of the front fender a little ahead of the forks with adhesive and to the radiator. Both gave great results. Not all cams have the same amount of image stabalization to deal with the different kinds of vibration, you will just have to try.

From the radiator side: http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/6-f...ve-you-done-your-bike-today-24.html#post27391

I really like low on the side, seeing the wheel and suspension move, ground rushing by, etc. Search around the forum, he has um, I think 2 other videos from the fender.

How he did it: http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/6-f...ve-you-done-your-bike-today-25.html#post27461

Notice his use of a tether to catch the cam just in case. Unless you are stuck in L.A. rush hour traffic the air scoop should be fine, but tether it lol.

Some of this review has a cam by the lower right of the engine, or a little ahead, shows the tire touching the ground, or NOT! lol.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I have a couple of Contour cameras. The Roam 2 has a threaded tripod mount. They make a Ram ball that threads into the tripod mount, then you can use a Ram link on the handlebars and a ram bolt ball to replace one of the handlebar clamp bolts. The older HD cameras did not have a tripod mount but the waterproof case did.

As far as the sticky on the included mounts, I replace those first thing with heavy duty outdoor mounting tape, which holds up much better. I also use Scotch Heavy Duty Fasteners, which is 3x stronger than velcro. I mainly attach the camera on my helmet because it is always centered down the road, and vibration free.

Bike mount with old HD camera, works with Roam2

Automotive tire Tire Auto part Vehicle Engine

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not bad ideas. Thanks guys. And Doug I wanted to leave the actual handlebar real estate free to mount my iPhone with a RAM mount. I'll have to play around with it this summer but I think for now I'll go with the air scoop. Speaking of mounting my iPhone what do you guys think of the handlebar mount from lifeproof, seeing as I just picked up a lifeproof case for it. Since it is designed for a bicycle will it still be secure or would I be better off spending the extra 20 bucks on a RAM mount? What do you guys use?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Links the products you mention would be nice. Re bicycle stuff, it doesn't get the wind of a motorcycle, but it can get as much pounding from the road etc.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Nice how close it is to the bar and it looks rugged enough. Bicycle bars are 7/8 inch? 09 bars are that at the grips, but the center is 1 1/8", and that mount doesn't seem adjust side to side, um, so the plane of the phone isn't parallel to the axis of the bar at the mount. So it might not fit well on the 09. See what I mean?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I fixed it. That was a few weeks ago. I could not remember which forum I shared it on. I had to upgrade the firmware on my camera and get a new memory card to clear it up lately. I thought I ruined it in the Sahara in Morocco. Sand was deep inside of it.

Most recent:

Music City Indoor Karting - GP Carnage.:

·
Registered
663 Posts
You should have a while to practice in the garage. I put 50 miles on my Polaris RMK yesterday. Still plenty of snow around Mt. Susitna. Isn't it still pretty cold in Fairbanks?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts