Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is this a hard job to do for the DIY'er?

I have just over a 1000miles on my FZ, and not had the problem... I'm wondering if i should mention to the dealer, the known problems, and try and blag the newer part in anticipation of having the problem.. Or just wait, and if it goes, it goes.... and if its out of warranty, then the part is only $75, so as long as its not too hard to replace myself, then just live with it, and replace when it goes..

How hard of a job is it ?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
You've seen these threads?
http://www.fz09.org/forum/34-yamaha-fz-09-common-problems-issues/448-i-got-tick.html
http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-g...miles-bike-ticking-just-developed-bummed.html

I haven't looked super close at how to replace the tensioner, my understanding the thing to be careful of is the cam chain jumping a few teeth while the tensioner is out. I'd rather not do it myself, I'm more timid about engine work compared to other bike stuff.

The set screw fix is very easy and inexpensive, I think that is the way to go. Maybe in a year Yamaha will have a tensioner that is proven, get that. As far as I know they are still throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks...

·
Registered
584 Posts
There is a u-tube video showing how to make the adjustment. Looks easy, but....

·
Registered
128 Posts
I inquired at my dealer just for general info and the hosers quoted me ballpark $128 for the part. PartShark.com listed it for around $65. (just sharing info)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks bob, i'll go with the screw fix for now... But hopefully the R3 revision, is the 'fix' I'll speak to my dealer and see what they say about ordering the 'official' part.

You've seen these threads?
http://www.fz09.org/forum/34-yamaha-fz-09-common-problems-issues/448-i-got-tick.html
http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-g...miles-bike-ticking-just-developed-bummed.html

I haven't looked super close at how to replace the tensioner, my understanding the thing to be careful of is the cam chain jumping a few teeth while the tensioner is out. I'd rather not do it myself, I'm more timid about engine work compared to other bike stuff.

The set screw fix is very easy and inexpensive, I think that is the way to go. Maybe in a year Yamaha will have a tensioner that is proven, get that. As far as I know they are still throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Just put an m6 set screw in hand tight while its already good and lock it with a nut, will take you 20 seconds.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i'm a mechanical idiot - once i got the right allan key - was very hard to find 3mm marking on my set given it's small and my eyes suck - it took all of 5 minutes to adjust.

It's important not to over torque it which is why man recommend moving it with your finger only. I could not fit the allan key i had long ways into the CCT so i used the short end which fit just fine.

I loosened the CCT first to hear and feel the noise through the allan key - then i tightened slowly - 1/4 turn each time until i could no longer feel it through the allan key and into my hands.

If you can tighten and untighten a screw - you can do this with your eyes closed.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Replacing the CCT is easy. The maintenance manual covers the replacement process. Since the tensioner is self tensioning, there is not much precision involved in the install.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I stopped at my Dealer and talked to the Service Manager about the CCT. He didn't even have to listen to my 09 and just ordered a new CCT. He says it's a 15 minute swap out, as long as the gasket doesn't stick to bad, lol. So far they have had good luck with this latest version, so I figured I'd give it a try since it's free.

One I get it installed and I have a few miles on the bike I will report back.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
just noticed the "ticking" sound on start up, but lasted maybe 5 seconds afterwards the engine sounded smooth...should I worry about it or see my dealer and have it replaced before the warranty expires in the next two months? or just get the Ape CCT?

·
Registered
46 Posts
just noticed the "ticking" sound on start up, but lasted maybe 5 seconds afterwards the engine sounded smooth...should I worry about it or see my dealer and have it replaced before the warranty expires in the next two months? or just get the Ape CCT?
ive noticed this the past few time ive started the bike, im just going to go down to my local ACE hardware store and get the supplies to make it a manual cct

·
Registered
610 Posts
ive noticed this the past few time ive started the bike, im just going to go down to my local ACE hardware store and get the supplies to make it a manual cct

Mmmkay��

1 - 17 of 17 Posts