Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I got a cam chain tensioner problem.
4000rpm noise all gears.

I changed to a new tensioner in warranty service.
and I noticed difference.
check the photo.

and noise was gone :)

View attachment 3975

That's interesting to see the 2 side by side. Only minor external visual change-both springs have 10 windings, appear to be same thickness, but the bottom of the replacement where it contacts the chain guide appears modified and a little less thick than the stock one. I wonder what's been changed internally that keeps the tension screw from slowing backing itself out?. Thanks for posting, first time we've been able to see the 2 to compare them. Do you know if the new one is the -03 PN?

·
Registered
612 Posts
My bike is just over 1 week old and I've noticed a ticking noise especially in 1st and 2nd gear.. Is this a warranty issue?

·
Registered
294 Posts
hmm...I had the issue. Issue resolved with a lot of high-rev driving. Spike it up to 10k RPMs once in a while and the tick stopped. After seeing the new part...I'm thinking about getting the issue "really fixed". Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
196 Posts
What's involved in changing the tensioner? Tank lifted, parts removed, or is it easily accessible from the outside?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
My temporary solution until I get the time and patience to get a new one.

I got tired of all the bullshit with the cam chain tensioner, waiting on the local stealership to do anything about getting me a part without an issue. I am about to ride a couple of thousand miles, so I took Travis suggestion and went down to the fastener supply and got myself a stainless 25mm long socket cap bolt and a stainless flange nut. Presto, done. Oh, it took me thirty seconds.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I got a cam chain tensioner problem.
4000rpm noise all gears.

I changed to a new tensioner in warranty service.
and I noticed difference.
check the photo.

and noise was gone :)

View attachment 3975
This is great news. Dealer ordered my CCT last week, still waiting.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts

I got tired of all the bullshit with the cam chain tensioner, waiting on the local stealership to do anything about getting me a part without an issue. I am about to ride a couple of thousand miles, so I took Travis suggestion and went down to the fastener supply and got myself a stainless 25mm long socket cap bolt and a stainless flange nut. Presto, done. Oh, it took me thirty seconds.

Nice. I use a regular SS bolt... until I get a set screw. Fun to see that this is a common issue on all 4 FZ09 forum. Telling everyone I got the Travis Mod done and no more issue... :)

Travis is world famous now!

·
Registered
128 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
What's involved in changing the tensioner? Tank lifted, parts removed, or is it easily accessible from the outside?
Since I don't have my bike on hand (Need to store at my parents place for the time being) I'd like to reiterate this question.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Uhhhh, which page of the 28 does it point out a part number or a reference for it being a warranty item if one wanted to go talk to their dealer? Maybe that piece of info should be pulled out and popped into a summary sticky?? The whole post is a sticky but then there are a good number of pages for sifting. Just a thought
It already is, you just need to look around: http://www.fz09.org/forum/32-yamaha-fz-09-guides-how-s/429-misc-info-fz-09-maintenance-jobs.html

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Since I don't have my bike on hand (Need to store at my parents place for the time being) I'd like to reiterate this question.
It's accessible from the outside. If all you are doing is the Travis fix nothing should need removed. However, I don't know about the entire CCT removal, not sure if there is enough space to pull it out without lifting the tank.

Reactions: Spook

·
Registered
50 Posts

Thats genius! Nice solution!.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Nothing needs to be removed from the bike to change the CCT. It's a very close fit between the tensioner and the frame of the bike, but it will clear.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts