Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone with a 2015 had any cct issues? Just curious if this is still an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Can't say I've heard of any '15's with issues.....But unfortunately, it's been in the Yamaha DNA for years.:(

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
It's been known to rear its ugly head between 400 and 1200 miles. Remember this name:
APE CCT (for future reference) :)

Reactions: Travis and Dalex

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Not all 14s had this issue so I would assume the same for the 15s. From looking into this awhile ago - Yamaha has a cct issue period. R1s have had a similar problem for years.

Not sure there are many putting a lot of miles on the 15s yet in the majority of the country until spring hits. My first one went at 750 miles.

A lot of us with 14s received a revised cct but many have still failed (mine has held up after 3k miles or so).

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
How do they fail? What symptoms should we be warching for?
This has been discussed at length in the thread titled "I got a tick".

Basically on start up the cam chain auto tensions. The set screw inside the yammi cct can back out too far leading to a loose cam chain.

You will hear a very distinctive clicking noise at idle and when you get the revs up around 4k-6k.

One guy bombed his engine, others are probably putting thousands of miles on theirs without even knowing there is a problem. It's not good to have it loose but if you hear the tick - the best thing is to take action (I wouldn't say you'd have to get the bike towed if you hear it but make your own judgement call on that).

You can adjust the set screw but it will just back out again for 15 miles or so.

If you want to hear the sound, search Yamaha fz09 cct on YouTube.

A forum member Travis, has the best vid up on the sound.

Yamaha has been replacing the cct with new revisions but some have reported those failing as well.

Mine has been ok after 3k miles but it's been dormant all winter.

If mine fails APE offers a manual tensioner that you can buy - Marthy has an excellent right up on the function and install of this piece. Every rider who has the APE seem to have zero complaints.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I think it isn't actually a failure, it's more a case of it gets stuck and makes an annoying rattling noise.

See this thread, as I think the Dealer will change it if they feel it needs to be changed, on a case by case basis.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/2162-cam-chain-tensioner-minor-changed.html

And I do not recall anyone with a 2015 mentioning a CCT issue.

I will have to get my 14 checked as it was starting to make noise. I did try to adjust it, but found if you just loosen it, then tighten it back up to where it was, the noise goes away. I get a feeling the CCT is getting stuck. I will be keeping an ear on it this spring for sure.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Does the fizzer kit have any downfalls? That's what I installed and mine stopped ticking after and hasn't given me any issues. If the fizzler fix works, then why go to an APE CCT?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Does the fizzer kit have any downfalls? That's what I installed and mine stopped ticking after and hasn't given me any issues. If the fizzler fix works, then why go to an APE CCT?
No downfalls and if no ticking - no need to change.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
If the set screw is loosening, why can't you just apply thread lock and torque it up?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
APE CCT -- Google this one.:cool:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
If the set screw is loosening, why can't you just apply thread lock and torque it up?
Good god don't do this. The set screw needs to move to auto tension. If you tighten it too much you'll put way too much stress on the cam chain which can cause a whole other set of problems.

The screw needs some wiggle room to auto tension as rocky mtn states - it sometimes gets stuck. You don't want it to get stuck.

If you don't know what a cct does (I didn't before having this problem) read the I got a tick thread. A lot of side banter unfortunately but great resource on the issue overall.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
When mine started to chatter just before it's long winters nap, I went to adjust it. I loosened it a 1/4 turn, then tightened it 1/4 turn, and it quieted right down??? Which gives me the feeling the whole thing kind of got stuck in the loosened position, but that is just what mine did once. I am almost tempted to give it a good shot of oil through the tensioner cap and see if that fixes the sticky tensioner issue. If it does start to chatter, I will head straight to the dealer and let them have a listen. If they think it's "not" noisy, I will quickly adjusted it like I did before and show them the difference.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I'll study up on this as recommended and promise not to apply thread lock.

Thanks for the immediate warning.

·
Registered
150 Posts
About 2700 miles on my '15. These days on startup I'll hear a tick-tick-tick-tick maybe for a few seconds but goes away. I don't recall hearing it while I ride. Is my bike developing the problem?

This has been discussed at length in the thread titled "I got a tick".

Basically on start up the cam chain auto tensions. The set screw inside the yammi cct can back out too far leading to a loose cam chain.

You will hear a very distinctive clicking noise at idle and when you get the revs up around 4k-6k.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
When mine started to chatter just before it's long winters nap, I went to adjust it. I loosened it a 1/4 turn, then tightened it 1/4 turn, and it quieted right down??? Which gives me the feeling the whole thing kind of got stuck in the loosened position, but that is just what mine did once. I am almost tempted to give it a good shot of oil through the tensioner cap and see if that fixes the sticky tensioner issue. If it does start to chatter, I will head straight to the dealer and let them have a listen. If they think it's "not" noisy, I will quickly adjusted it like I did before and show them the difference.
Adjustment puts it into the right range but the problem is that the set screw will just back out again in 30 miles or so again. Happened to mine and many others.

The reason the Travis/Fizzer kit works is because the screw that goes into the top of the cct is much longer than the stock Yamaha one. So when the set screw inevitably backs out again - the screw set at the top of the cct will prevent it from going to a point where the cam chain is at a loose and unsafe tension.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
About 2700 miles on my '15. These days on startup I'll hear a tick-tick-tick-tick maybe for a few seconds but goes away. I don't recall hearing it while I ride. Is my bike developing the problem?
Thats a normal functioning CCT. If the ticking remains after 30 seconds to a minute in some cases then it's likely the cct is now faulty.

Typically with my bike, the cam chain will tick for 15 seconds or so and then go quiet. That means it's found the appropriate tension.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
That is the weird thing with my stock CCT, it seemed more like the spring was stuck in the loose position. The 1/4 turn out and 1/4 turn in seemed to free up the spring and the ticking noise went away. But like I said, it was at the end of the riding season, and it is something I will have to keep my ear on this spring. If it keeps doing it, I will see if the Yamaha new CCT fixes the issue. If it doesn't then I will be checking into getting and proper fix like the APE CCT.

I do not want this to happen.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/34-yamaha-fz-09-common-problems-issues/5400-cct-broken.html

1 - 20 of 62 Posts