Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and could not find a thread on replacing the stock CCT.
I may have screwed up! Couple of months ago I installed the set screw kit. I've been getting lots of noise out of the right side.
Today I removed the 2 mounting screws on the CCT and just pulled the whole thing out, just to see how it works and see if it's not adjusting correctly.
It's weird. It's spring loaded and fully extended. At first I could turn it ccw and fully retract it on the bench with the allen wrench, but the wrench gets stuck and as soon as I pull it out, the spring snaps back out to fully extended position.
Well, I think I just opened a can of worms, as now when I put the fully extended cct back on, there was no adjustment.
So I re-removed it and partly dismantled the cct (more worms) to try to fix it.
I'll just cut to the end....I just ordered a new OEM CCT and was wondering if it's as easy to reinstall as it was to remove. Are there any special precautions? Do I need to access the inside of the case? Do I just re-install and adjust tension as described here?
Thanks.

·
Registered
518 Posts
leave the wrench in until you install the CCT. Then pull it out. Itll pop out and tension teh chain. The only thing I would be worried about is that while the CCT was out, the chain may have jumped a tooth. SO, to be safe, I would probably want to take the covers off, find TDC, line up the timing marks, and install from there

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leave what wrench in where? You mean put a "wedge" between the cct and chain guide?
I managed to do about the stupidest method I could. Just unbolt and remove.
I really dont think it could have jumped a tooth, as nothing has been turned or moved internally.

·
Registered
518 Posts
It's spring loaded and fully extended. At first I could turn it ccw and fully retract it on the bench with the allen wrench, but the wrench gets stuck and as soon as I pull it out, the spring snaps back out to fully extended position.
retract it...then install...then pull out the allen wrench

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put it back in fully extended, managed to mash it down (I know, they'll let any idiot own a bike) and put the mounting bolts back in, but there was no adjustment, no threads would catch. It may be FUBAR.
I guess I could try leaving the wrench in if I can get the threads to catch and do it again, but it may spring back to max tension when the wrench is removed. I assume too much tension is also bad
I'll try it, we'll see, thanks.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
There seems to be A Lot of Tension about this CTT :eek:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
How one small piece of this intricate balance of design, engineering and testing of thousands of pieces could be such a piece of crap and to have not been noticed during endurance testing and R&D, is totally beyond me. Clearly not all of the Gen 1 or Gen 2 are crap, some are fine, others are not-just like this POS Gen 3 'revision' I installed. Maybe it's just the luck of the draw, and possibly why it wasn't caught during testing-the motors they tested had, purely by chance, functional ones...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I put it back in fully extended, managed to mash it down (I know, they'll let any idiot own a bike) and put the mounting bolts back in, but there was no adjustment, no threads would catch. It may be FUBAR.
the tensioner's not supposed to be installed with the shaft fully extended.

I guess I could try leaving the wrench in if I can get the threads to catch and do it again, but it may spring back to max tension when the wrench is removed.
that's the way it's supposed to work, it's an automatic tensioner. having an allen key installed in the tensioner keeps the shaft from shooting out. the tensioner is supposed to be installed with an allen key in place to hold the shaft in, then the key is removed once the tensioner is installed. this 'unlocks' the shaft and allows it to maintain cam chain tension.

the replacement tensioner you ordered comes with a short allen key that's long enough to hold the tensioner shaft in place during installation but short enough to clear the frame when the tensioner's installed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you think the APE will void my warranty? I think so and I'm seriously thinking about taking it back in for some engine noises anyway.
I will install the ordered one before I take it in, cuz they may be able to tell I messed with the stock one, but I will probably end up with the APE in the end.
I just wish i knew somebody in the Sacramento/Stockton area with an 09, stock exhaust, so I could compare engine sounds. Anybody? Anybody?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
you should have just let the dealer mess w/ the tensioner if you're still under warranty! I'd just get the OEM one put back in (assuming you can do so) and take it in to see what they say. Ask them what installing an APE manual tensioner would do to the warranty; never hurts to ask. Is a shame you ordered the OEM replacement as the dealer should have done so for free.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Do you think the APE will void my warranty? I think so and I'm seriously thinking about taking it back in for some engine noises anyway.
I will install the ordered one before I take it in, cuz they may be able to tell I messed with the stock one, but I will probably end up with the APE in the end.
I just wish i knew somebody in the Sacramento/Stockton area with an 09, stock exhaust, so I could compare engine sounds. Anybody? Anybody?
No individual part will "void the warranty" on the entire bike. However, if you install the APE tensioner (or anything other than an OEM tensioner) and you have engine failure that they can reasonably attribute to the tensioner, they will most likely deny the warranty claim for engine repair. If you do end up getting the APE tensioner, I would advise getting somebody with more mechanical experience to install it as you could potentially do some serious damage to the engine if it's not installed and tensioned properly.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Agree with Trip here... I did a how too install the APE CCT but at the same time, mechanically you need to know your limit. Best advice is get your APE CCT and find a local independent shop. Most of them are better than any stealership mechanic anyway...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Marthy, is that APE spring loaded to accommodate chain vibration? Did you make mods for the auto tension feature?
I can follow your directions, no problem. Sometimes I'm just too lazy or too know-it-all for my own good and just assumed the tensioner was a simple spring loaded adjustable assembly I could just pull right out.
I'd also like to take a look at your exhaust and a flash tune (eventually)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts