Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking at a FZ-09 and I'm wondering about brake upgrades. Can anyone take some mesurements off the caliper for me?
Distance from bolt to bolt.(hoping its 100mm So I can throw on a set of Brembo Monobloc's)
Distance from bolt to outside of caliper.
Distance from bolt to inside caliper.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
734 Posts
would the first step be a pad upgrade ? those that have switched can tell u if that's all that's needed

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've not measures the fz 09, but the Japanese standard is 108mm. No cheap Brembo monoblocks. Now, the second part, meant in fun....

Are you nuts? Try an internet search and look at things like "zx10 caliper swap" and see what caliper is often suggested as a replacement. THEN, look at your fz09 and see what it has for a caliper. You already have a monoblock, and its pretty decent quality. Unless your spending 4000 on the Brembo's, they wont be better. Check out this z 1000

HÖLY » UMBAUTEN*»*KAWASAKI*»*NAKED

Notice how much money they spent on it, up to an including a zx10r swingarm. See what calipers it has.

I'll bet Yamaha backed off the pad to take away power. Still, thats not the issue. Look at the Master cylinder. Yamaha did not look at the r6 and r1 for inspiration on that. They looked more at the 1999 sv650, or the 1980 Honda Rebel. Replace that with a Master Cylinder from any modern sportbike and I'll bet those brakes come alive.

In this specific case, I think I'd replace the master cylinder, with a radial model, before doign the pads. Heck, it woudl be cheaper, too. To be 100% honest, you can add one of the radial mc's to a real garbage brake system (sv 650) and make them decent enough for sport riding. Added into your system and it will be very, very good.

If you replace the calipers, I get them.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I put EBC HH pads on as well as Spiegler SS brake lines. It will lift the rear wheel coming into turns. I have not taken it on the track to find out about fade, but did not get fade on my spirited rides.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Does anyone actually have an issue with the braking power on the 09? Have you experienced any fade? I could probably understand wanting a bit more feel, but I'm pretty content with the brakes.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
stock brake pads have a gg friction rating, so swapping for hh pads will make a noticeable difference. braided lines too.

front brake caliper piston sizes are the same as the r6's, so any master cylinder that works well with the r6 should work as well on the 09.

·
Registered
226 Posts
These calipers are the same ones as on the current R6's. I have one, and I can tell you they're identical.

It's my understanding that Yamaha has been using 16mm bores/pistons on their master cylinders for a while. On my track-only R6 I did not like all the extra lever travel. I just purchased a Brembo 19x18 radial MC for it. I'm tempted to try the original radial MC off the R6 on the FZ. It'll still be a small bore MC though, but I'm curious to see what difference the radial setup makes.
Or I could go all out and just buy another Brembo 19x18 MC and throw it on the FZ. That coupled with some nice pads and SS lines.... yea, I think they'd stop just fine, and with little effort.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
It's my understanding that Yamaha has been using 16mm bores/pistons on their master cylinders for a while.
the 09's the odd man out - it uses a 15mm master cylinder which changes the feel somewhat. someone else here mentioned installing the oem r6 radial m/c on the 09 with great results.

·
Registered
226 Posts
the 09's the odd man out - it uses a 15mm master cylinder which changes the feel somewhat. someone else here mentioned installing the oem r6 radial m/c on the 09 with great results.
I knew I read that somewhere... Looks like I'll have a use for my R6 master afterall!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Quote Originally Posted by bobby walnuts View Post

I knew I read that somewhere... Looks like I'll have a use for my R6 master afterall!
Save your money.

The best mods are the dual braided lines, followed by the HH pads + 50 to 100 miles to bed in.

A smaller piston offers more mechanical / hydraulic advantage.

In theory, would have more travel, however mine has minimal travel after a good bleeding and dual braided lines.

The OEM setup with the horse shoe line over the fender is very difficult to bleed to the best performance.

I'll take a measurement of my lever travel from free to firm contact.

It is about as good / short travel as most of my high grade Euro bikes.

·
Registered
192 Posts
C Dolan, like that idea of the dual lines being easier to bleed. I noticed the same thing, but never made the connection after swapping lines. Great info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts