Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm looking to replace my current bike (Husky 630 SMS) with an FZ09 and in my search for aftermarket parts and such, found this forum. I'll be purchasing likely within the next 2 weeks - I have a buyer lined up for my current bike and as soon as he delivers cash and takes the bike it's off to the dealership with me.

So far I've only gone to one dealership, and I've been quoted "Out the door, expect to pay $10,000 and I'll see what I can tweak to bring it in just under that when you're ready."

For an MSRP of $8190, $10k seems a bit high. I asked the sales rep and he said it was $488 dealer setup, $490 delivery, plus the tax/reg stuff. What are your guys thoughts on that? I'm asking here because there are inevitably going to be posts in general discussion from people in other states with no sales tax and such with crazy lower prices I'm sure.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Well, $9500 seems normal for Cali. There are prices all over the forum, but $9200-$9500 would be normal in Cali based on forum posts.

In Indiana, WITH tax and fees, they are still under $8k OTD. Prices are higher in Cali, taxes or not, it's the cost of living in Cali.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah - the other thing is the only other thread I saw was for SoCal and from several months to a year ago for 2014 models. Since I'm buying now, I'm looking at what people in CA have been paying for 2015 models.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Honestly, the '15 MSRP is less than $200 higher than the '14. I'd personally expect to pay the same, since obviously the prices are already heavily padded. We are talking a $2k difference here between dealers/states. I'd expect to pay the same for a '15 as folks paid for a '14. Those dealers are already making, in theory, $2k more profit per bike!

$10k is higher than any price I've seen posted in the past year. That is even a bad price by Cali standards.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
When I was looking for mine ('14), I got various quotes from $9200 (Modesto Yamaha) to $9600 @ Roseville Yamaha to $10K (Mission & San Jose Yamaha). The only place that had a bike in stock was at K&B Powersports in Petaluma, where I paid $9318...so tack on a couple hundred buck for the '15s and there you go...

Good luck with your search

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Stealerships in the Sunbelt States naturally have year-round demand and take advantage of a short supply.

Shop till you drop and try to stay under $9k, or move to the Midwest and save another $2k. Personally, I'd stay put.:p

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I was looking for mine ('14), I got various quotes from $9200 (Modesto Yamaha) to $9600 @ Roseville Yamaha to $10K (Mission & San Jose Yamaha). The only place that had a bike in stock was at K&B Powersports in Petaluma, where I paid $9318...so tack on a couple hundred buck for the '15s and there you go...

Good luck with your search
K&B is listing them on Craigslist for "$8190 + fees" ----> 2015 Yamaha FZ09 FZ?

Will call in a bit, in class at the moment. I'd drive up there for $9300 though. $700 difference in price, $100 in gas...yeah.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Last year K&B was asking $1000 in fees on a new FZ09.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
K&B is listing them on Craigslist for "$8190 + fees" ----> 2015 Yamaha FZ09 FZ?

Will call in a bit, in class at the moment. I'd drive up there for $9300 though. $700 difference in price, $100 in gas...yeah.
Ask to speak to Brandon...he was easy to deal with. I think originally he was around $9600 but I told him a had a deposit at Modesto (which I did), so he came back and said he'd knock off $300.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I wouldn't walk on a deal with a dealership I was comfortable with just to save $200 - $300. But I'd run from a Stealership who lured me in under false pretenses and tried to gouge me for an extra $300-500.:)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Something to keep in mind. You can ship a bike coast to coast for $650 bucks.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Something to keep in mind. You can ship a bike coast to coast for $650 bucks.
I'd be much more worried about shipping a bike than shipping a car.:p

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Shipping a bike is easy, and cheap, I've done it thrice. There are specialized shippers. Problem being, you cannot just buy a bike outside CA and ship it in and register it. They have rules about that.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
When I hear there are "Specialized Shippers" I guess I also just heard the price went up, lol

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I shipped from Orlando to Indy for $500, using a specialized shipper. That's the price of a nice dinner for 10 people.
Fixed that for you. Hope you don't mind.:)

·
Registered
666 Posts
California has specific rules regarding new vehicles being registered from out of state.
It's horse shit...

From dmv:

The Bottom Line

If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck, or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws to be registered in California. This includes certain diesel-powered vehicles. DMV cannot accept an application to register a vehicle in California that does not qualify for registration (California Health and Safety Code §§43150 - 43156).
What Is Considered a New Vehicle?

California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business, to be a new vehicle. This is true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.
Aren't All Vehicles California Certified?

Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold in California. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold only in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-state) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. California-certified (50-state) vehicles are made to be sold in California.
Check the Label

To find out whether a car, truck, or motorcycle is California certified, check the emission label under the hood. For a motorcycle, check the frame or refer to your owner' s manual for the location. The label should read that the vehicle conforms to California regulations, or that it is legal for sale in California.
Exemptions

There are a few exemptions to the law. As a California resident, you may be able to register a 49-state vehicle if it was:

Obtained as part of a divorce, inheritance, or legal separation settlement.
Purchased to replace your California-registered vehicle that was stolen while you were using the vehicle out-of-state.
Purchased to replace your California-registered vehicle that was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using the vehicle out of state.
An emergency vehicle, pursuant to California Vehicle Code § §27156.2 and 27156.3.
Registered by you in the state of your last active military service outside California.
A street motorcycle or motor-driven cycle year model 2005 and older, with an engine less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc) displacement. Beginning January 1, 2006, street motorcycles and motor-driven cycles year model 2006 and newer, with engines less than 50 cc displacement, require an emission label certifying them to meet U.S. Environmental Protection Agency emission regulations, and may be registered regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
^ Find a 49 state bike with 7500 or more miles and it's legal in California. If the out of state bike doesn't have enough miles on it, ride it back to the left coast and/or ride in the golden state until the required mileage is on the odometer before registering it. Should be doable as it's riding weather here pretty much year 'round here.

Reactions: nychopshop
1 - 20 of 54 Posts