Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to use it for commuting and was wondering if it would be ok for lane splitting? I figure its going to be a bit wider than a sport bike because of the bar width?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It will be fine lane splitting. Is it wider than a traditional sport bike? Yes. Is it prohibitively wider? Absolutely not. Most days I probably spend more time in between lanes than in one.

I have CRG Arrow bar end mirrors on my FZ, which make it even wider, and I can still lane split.

The Arrow mirrors do prohibit some lane splitting on narrow surface streets though.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I do some splitting with mine. The stock mirrors are the wide point.

You do need to be careful going by pick ups with the big wide trailer hauling mirrors and also cars that crowd the side of the lane.

The FZ mirrors are the same height as most car and truck mirrors.

I have a super bright aftermarket off road LED light on my FZ. So often times I see cars moving out of my way as I approach to split them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do some splitting with mine. The stock mirrors are the wide point.

You do need to be careful going by pick ups with the big wide trailer hauling mirrors and also cars that crowd the side of the lane.

The FZ mirrors are the same height as most car and truck mirrors.

I have a super bright aftermarket off road LED light on my FZ. So often times I see cars moving out of my way as I approach to split them.
is there a replacement for the stock mirrors that tuck them in more?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I split all the time on my full dress 2000 R1100RT with no problem. The FZ09 is like riding a bicycle by comparison.

Reactions: Davinci

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
There are as many aftermarket mirror options as there are stars in the sky...

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
It's ok lane splitting but the narrower surface streets can be more problematic. I think the bars on the FZ are roughly 32" wide. When I'm muddling my way thru downtown SF in the financial district, I still prefer the SV650 as it's narrower (26" w/ bar end mirrors). Maybe I need to mess around with an extra set of bars and shorten/modify...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's ok lane splitting but the narrower surface streets can be more problematic. I think the bars on the FZ are roughly 32" wide. When I'm muddling my way thru downtown SF in the financial district, I still prefer the SV650 as it's narrower (26" w/ bar end mirrors). Maybe I need to mess around with an extra set of bars and shorten/modify...
Is it possible to get shorter bars for the FZ-09? Has anyone done it yet?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would highly suggest getting handlebar mirrors if you do plan on splitting lanes a lot. As stated by Hawkerjet, pickup truck mirrors are your worst enemy when you have your stock mirrors on. Also, don't try to keep up with sport bikes, they're just more nimble and narrower.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Is it possible to get shorter bars for the FZ-09? Has anyone done it yet?
You can trim the stock bars or an aftermarket handlebar to just about any length you want. There are limits but you can trim the handlebars if you want to.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm lucky that my work hours usually avoid heavy commute times, but I love this bike for lanesplitting. The upright position give you good sight over and around cars and the width hasn't been a problem at all for me.

I've also been trying really hard to stay within the chp guidelines (although all admit going over the recommended speed a few times!) and this is probably adding to the ease and comfort splitting on the fz09.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I wish I could lane split here in Pennsylvania...Oh well. At least Pennsylvania still has a no Radar for municipalities. So I know when I see a set of white lines, I slow down

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I am in NYC and usually the Po Pos dont bother bikers for lane splitting, esp in local roads.Have to be careful though.
The FZ is a hoot for this...the mirrors definitely need some care but it is pretty lithe for lane-splitting duties- like it was born to do this!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts