Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my XSR900 about a month ago! I live in Los Angeles California, so emission laws are a little bit strict. I picked up an Akra carbon full race exhaust system thinking that that I wouldn't need any tuning done, however, after reading some of the threads on here, it would appear that I should get some kind of tuning done. I also read that the Akra Titanium full race exhaust doesn't need any kind of tuning. I chose the carbon because of the better performance it gives for a much lower price, but since I now realize that I have to pay for some kind of tuning, (I don't know what kind I need exactly-- still learning) I was wondering if any of you California/Los Angeles riders know where I can get this done? I was also wondering how, if at all, would returning the bike affect warranty. Finally for the more general XSR forum, do you guys think it would look better and be easier for me to just trade it the Carbon for the Titanium Akra? I will more than likely try removing the baffles on the titanium Akra if the sound still doesn't satisfy my liking (I'm used to my Monster's deep/loud rumble) but would that affect mapping too? would I need to perform any re-tuning if do that too? I wouldn't remove the baffle from the carbon one because I've heard some audio files for all three of Akra's exhaust systems and the Carbon akra sounds quite pleasing while the titanium ones seem close, but, again, not quite to my liking. Thanks in advance for those of you who repond I'm really happy to be a part of this forum! Cheers!

·
Registered
611 Posts
I emailed Akrapovic a few months ago and asked them the following questions:

I'm interested in the Akrapovic Racing Line (SS, TI) Exhaust System for a 2016 Yamaha FZ09/XSR900. If I run the exhaust with the DB silencer, will I need any add-on fuel management system on the bike, or can the bike's ECU still adjust the air/fuel ration withing it's factory range? If the DB silencer is removed, would it then need add-on fuel management?

This was the response from Akrapovic:

Thank you for your interest in Akrapovic Exhaust Systems. Unless otherwise stated in the product description, 99% of our systems are designed and developed with all stock mapping in place. We are an Exhaust engineering company not a fuel management company and therefore, we do not offer remapping advice or options.

The performance statistics located on our website are based off of all stock settings in place. We simply install the system on the stock motorcycle and run the performance test in a specified controlled environment multiple times. We then take an average of the outputs which is then supplied as technical data on our website for each system. For perfect performance and Throttle response, please reach out to our partners at DynoJet, or your local dealer for mapping advice.

The performance data for all (3) system options for the XSR 900 is based on the noise insert being in place. If you remove the noise insert, you should definitely remap as you are changing the back pressure for that system.

So what I get out of their response is that stock mapping would work pretty well if the baffle is used in the system as no remapping would be required - meaning it would probably still run fine, but if the baffle is removed then remapping might be required for best performance & throttle response. Of course, guys will say that even remapping with the stock exhaust system will make the bike run better.

·
Registered
55 Posts

I'm interested in the Akrapovic Racing Line (SS, TI) Exhaust System for a 2016 Yamaha FZ09/XSR900. If I run the exhaust with the DB silencer, will I need any add-on fuel management system on the bike, or can the bike's ECU still adjust the air/fuel ration withing it's factory range? If the DB silencer is removed, would it then need add-on fuel management?

Thank you for your interest in Akrapovic Exhaust Systems. Unless otherwise stated in the product description, 99% of our systems are designed and developed with all stock mapping in place. We are an Exhaust engineering company not a fuel management company and therefore, we do not offer remapping advice or options.

The performance statistics located on our website are based off of all stock settings in place. We simply install the system on the stock motorcycle and run the performance test in a specified controlled environment multiple times. We then take an average of the outputs which is then supplied as technical data on our website for each system. For perfect performance and Throttle response, please reach out to our partners at DynoJet, or your local dealer for mapping advice.

The performance data for all (3) system options for the XSR 900 is based on the noise insert being in place. If you remove the noise insert, you should definitely remap as you are changing the back pressure for that system.

So what I get out of their response is that stock mapping would work pretty well if the baffle is used in the system as no remapping would be required - meaning it would probably still run fine, but if the baffle is removed then remapping might be required for best performance & throttle response. Of course, guys will say that even remapping with the stock exhaust system will make the bike run better.
For the best performance including with a stock exhaust system a closed loop system should be installed. For this you have 2 options Dyno Jet PCV with Auto tune or FTECU with Active tune. I chose the FTECU with Active tune. The price was within 100 dollars of each other at retail with the FTECU being cheaper. The reason I chose the FTECU Active kit was because it has less wiring and everything is done in the ecu where the dyno jet kit is a piggy back system with wires and boxes. I'm really happy with how mine runs. I got a great deal on the kit through Graves Motorsports during there thanksgiving special.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response! The first link isn't quite working and I take it that I would probably know where to go in the vendor link if I could see the first link?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the response! which are you going to end up going with? I do want perfect throttle response. I'm also concerned with the fuel economy on it. It's not the best and it's got a really small capacity so I really wouldn't want to be losing any mpg in any of my rides! You totally helped me decide on not taking the baffles out so thank you for that too! Would they happen to have given you any more information, about how marginal performance and and throttle response will be? I really would rather spend as little as possible too because I want to make several modifications!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the best performance including with a stock exhaust system a closed loop system should be installed. For this you have 2 options Dyno Jet PCV with Auto tune or FTECU with Active tune. I chose the FTECU with Active tune. The price was within 100 dollars of each other at retail with the FTECU being cheaper. The reason I chose the FTECU Active kit was because it has less wiring and everything is done in the ecu where the dyno jet kit is a piggy back system with wires and boxes. I'm really happy with how mine runs. I got a great deal on the kit through Graves Motorsports during there thanksgiving special.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I take it you're running a graves exhaust system? Would you happen to know how compatible it is with the Akra C?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
If you're running an Akra Carbon you'll most likely want to get the ECU flashed. I ran the Carbon with the dB killer out for a bit and it loped and hesitated a little at low RPMs. It ran better with the dB killer in but once I flashed the ECU (vcyclenut), it ran great. I think the Akra Ti looks better and sounds better (w/out dB killer) but didn't want to pay $400 more.

I think Flash tune is down in your neck of the woods...ride over and have them flash it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Thanks for the response! which are you going to end up going with? I do want perfect throttle response. I'm also concerned with the fuel economy on it. It's not the best and it's got a really small capacity so I really wouldn't want to be losing any mpg in any of my rides! You totally helped me decide on not taking the baffles out so thank you for that too! Would they happen to have given you any more information, about how marginal performance and and throttle response will be? I really would rather spend as little as possible too because I want to make several modifications!
If I was going aftermarket exhaust, I'd go for the Akrapovic Ti and leave the dB killer/baffle installed. Here's a video with the dB killer installed and it sounds pretty good - not crazy loud but more than stock. I really don't need to attract attention for miles away when riding around town.

This guy says he didn't remap or put on block off plates and it barely pops - go to YouTube to see the comments on the video. BTW, even the stock exhaust will pop a little bit on deceleration, it's just hard to hear it. This is on an older FZ-09, and I think the XSR has better fueling than the older FZ-09s too which means the Akra Ti w/baffle installed shouldn't really need any re-mapping.

Here's a bunch of other Akra Ti exhaust videos ... with and without the dB killer installed.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fz-09+akrapovic+titanium

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I was going aftermarket exhaust, I'd go for the Akrapovic Ti and leave the dB killer/baffle installed. Here's a video with the dB killer installed and it sounds pretty good - not crazy loud but more than stock. I really don't need to attract attention for miles away when riding around town.

This guy says he didn't remap or put on block off plates and it barely pops - go to YouTube to see the comments on the video. BTW, even the stock exhaust will pop a little bit on deceleration, it's just hard to hear it. This is on an older FZ-09, and I think the XSR has better fueling than the older FZ-09s too which means the Akra Ti w/baffle installed shouldn't really need any re-mapping.

Here's a bunch of other Akra Ti exhaust videos ... with and without the dB killer installed.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fz-09+akrapovic+titanium
I actually really like the pops. lol, I take it that it's usually indicative of a need for remapping thought, right? I really like both but one is significantly more expensive! You said you went with the Carbon for the price difference right? Thanks for all your responses so far! I really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you're running an Akra Carbon you'll most likely want to get the ECU flashed. I ran the Carbon with the dB killer out for a bit and it loped and hesitated a little at low RPMs. It ran better with the dB killer in but once I flashed the ECU (vcyclenut), it ran great. I think the Akra Ti looks better and sounds better (w/out dB killer) but didn't want to pay $400 more.

I think Flash tune is down in your neck of the woods...ride over and have them flash it.
Thanks for the response! I'll give them a call to see what insight they can share! That's very helpful!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts