Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Just buying my first FZ09. It’s a preowned 2017 with 3.5k miles on it. I’m looking for recommendations on mods that should be done to the bike. So far, there’s: bar end mirrors, MZS aftermarket levers, led front signals, TBR S1R full exhaust, and some spools. I definitely want to get the low level TST fender eliminator with the integrated tail light. Other than that, what mods would you guys recommend that I do?

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey all,
Just buying my first FZ09. It’s a preowned 2017 with 3.5k miles on it. I’m looking for recommendations on mods that should be done to the bike. So far, there’s: bar end mirrors, MZS aftermarket levers, led front signals, TBR S1R full exhaust, and some spools. I definitely want to get the low level TST fender eliminator with the integrated tail light. Other than that, what mods would you guys recommend that I do?
Better suspension and an ECU flash.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,668 Posts
Matching rear signals, or a tail tidy, if you don’t like the rear hugger (some folks do...). And your butt will let you know shortly if the seat is in need of upgrading...

·
Registered
435 Posts
I would also recommend an SAE battery charger and USB plug.

I have the same bike with 19000mi on it

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
New tires. :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Here the (clear) TST integrated tail light with the low mounted plate…in my half car garage open concept…

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm pretty sure I used to have that same lamp, until my daughter broke it.
It is definitely on its way out. How’s its survived numerous PCS’ since 2011 has been nothing short of a miracle. However I have yet to find a lamp with such utility

• Haha
Reactions: BattleBornBike

·
Registered
2017 Hi-Viz and Matte Grey MT-09
559 Posts
I'm pretty sure my wife bought it when she was a military dependent with her ex. I never asked the origin, but is it a PX special?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is the seat on this bike that bad? I’m coming from an FZ6R and I’m able to ride for a few hours before it starts to hurt on that bike.

·
Registered
2015 FZ 09
117 Posts
I vote seat also. I got the Yamaha Comfort Seat and my butt was very happy for the upgrade.

And just for fun I started going through this and figured I'd post here so you can pick and choose any of these as well! My current mod list, in no particular order:

1. ECU Flash
2. Knockoff SC Projects Exhaust from Amazon
3. Inverted LCD Gauge
4. Yamaha Comfort Seat
5. PIAA Dual Slim Horns
6. TST Integrated Tail Light
7. Relocated Plate with LED Bolt Lights
8. Upgraded Signals, Air Intake Signal Mod
9. GB Racing Covers (if they ever get here)
10. AIS Blockoff Plates
11. Iridium Plugs
12. LED Headlight and Running Lights
13. Bar End Mirrors
14. Modified Accelerator Position Sensor for Smoother Throttle Response
15. LED Underglow
16. GPS Tracker
17. USB Charger
18. Shortened Air Intake Tube

and some mods I still want, that you may want too!

1. Suspension Upgrades, Front and Rear
2. Quick Shifter
3. Stainless Steel Brake Lines

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I vote seat also. I got the Yamaha Comfort Seat and my butt was very happy for the upgrade.

View attachment 166004

And just for fun I started going through this and figured I'd post here so you can pick and choose any of these as well! My current mod list, in no particular order:

1. ECU Flash
2. Knockoff SC Projects Exhaust from Amazon
3. Inverted LCD Gauge
4. Yamaha Comfort Seat
5. PIAA Dual Slim Horns
6. TST Integrated Tail Light
7. Relocated Plate with LED Bolt Lights
8. Upgraded Signals, Air Intake Signal Mod
9. GB Racing Covers (if they ever get here)
10. AIS Blockoff Plates
11. Iridium Plugs
12. LED Headlight and Running Lights
13. Bar End Mirrors
14. Modified Accelerator Position Sensor for Smoother Throttle Response
15. LED Underglow
16. GPS Tracker
17. USB Charger
18. Shortened Air Intake Tube

and some mods I still want, that you may want too!

1. Suspension Upgrades, Front and Rear
2. Quick Shifter
3. Stainless Steel Brake Lines
How easy was the inverted LCD gauge to do? Does it still work well at night? Also, are the stock headlight not LED as it is? I’ve read that the headlight isn’t the best at night, so did you just get an upgraded LED bulb? I’ve been looking at getting the quick shifter, but figured I should get used to the bike first.

EDIT: I now see that you have the gen 1 FZ09 so the headlight question is invalid.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My favourite mod by far was the addition of the quick shifter. On the 2017 its a simple plug and play and really is a lot of fun to grab a handful of throttle and short shift like a maniac...seamless acceleration like being shot out of a cannon 😁

·
Registered
31 Posts
My favourite mod by far was the addition of the quick shifter. On the 2017 its a simple plug and play and really is a lot of fun to grab a handful of throttle and short shift like a maniac...seamless acceleration like being shot out of a cannon 😁
I have been looking to buy one of the oem ones, I cant seem to find a place that has them in stock 😠

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have been looking to buy one of the oem ones, I cant seem to find a place that has them in stock 😠
Get a blipper. It’ll change your life

·
Registered
2015 FZ 09
117 Posts
How easy was the inverted LCD gauge to do? Does it still work well at night? Also, are the stock headlight not LED as it is? I’ve read that the headlight isn’t the best at night, so did you just get an upgraded LED bulb? I’ve been looking at getting the quick shifter, but figured I should get used to the bike first.

EDIT: I now see that you have the gen 1 FZ09 so the headlight question is invalid.
The gauge was pretty easy to do, the hardest part was removing the old adhesive from the LCD. I used a razor blade to peel the plastic off and then some alcohol swabs to remove the adhesive. I think it's more visible at night, think of it as dark mode on your phone, it actually increases the contrast in my opinion.

And yeah the quickshifter kept getting pushed back on my mod list too because I don't have problem clutchless upshifting since I came from older bikes.

And although headlight doesn't affect you, if someone's reading, yeah I just upgraded the bulb to LED (from Amazon), and it helped a lot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Suspension upgrade makes the bike so much better, what it should be.
Main things I've done to my 2016 FZ09
K-Tech 20ids cartridges
K-Tech Razor Lite shock
FT-ECU tuner
AIS block off plates
Akrapovich full carbon exhaust
Spiegler steel braided brake lines
K&N air filter, more cause it is reusable
Made my own fender eliminator plate and also made my own turn signals and running lights using LED strips

Suspension was a huge difference!!! Highly recommend it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts