Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test rode an FZ-09 on Saturday just for kicks and instantly fell in love. I currently have a 2009 Honda CBR600RR with 3k miles. I'm seriously considering picking up the FZ, definitely this week. This will be my first purchase of a new vehicle (ever), so I've got zero dealership experience since I've always bought from private sellers. I didn't commit to anything with my dealer this Saturday but asked him to give my bike a quick look over and get my a trade in value for it as well as an OTD price. He told me $4,000 for mine, and $4,000 on top of it and I can ride off with a brand new FZ-09. I thanked him and left. That puts the FZ-09 at around $8,000 total. How much room for negotiation is there on these bikes? They have a couple in stock and a test bike as well. Also, is it worth considering buying a test bike with under 300 miles or has it been thrashed and isn't worth the savings? I didn't beat on it but I'm not sure if others are as considerate as I was.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I paid $7890 cash OTD for mine, and that was a solid price. I'd sell the 600RR yourself. With what you are losing on trade, the 09 is TRULY costing you about $10k. That is not a good deal.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
You're obviously Not located in California or Florida. I don't believe Any new FZ-09's sold even close to $8k. Dealers in the Sunbelt had been adding Freight, Set-up, a Stealers Fee, Doc Fee, even Title Fee, lol. Most in the Sunbelt earlier this year were OTD much closer (and beyond) $9k.

I'd stick to the New one, and don't be surprised if they insist on a premium for the Rapid Red since it's the Fastest of the three
colors :cool:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're obviously Not located in California or Florida. I don't believe Any new FZ-09's sold even close to $8k. Dealers in the Sunbelt had been adding Freight, Set-up, a Stealers Fee, Doc Fee, even Title Fee, lol. Most in the Sunbelt earlier this year were OTD much closer (and beyond) $9k.

I'd stick to the New one, and don't be surprised if they insist on a premium for the Rapid Red since it's the Fastest of the three
colors :cool:
I'm located in Florida actually, I guess I'm getting a decent deal compared to the rest of my state.

I'm going to go for nice and cheap black and blue since it matches my gear lol.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I paid $7890 cash OTD for mine, and that was a solid price. I'd sell the 600RR yourself. With what you are losing on trade, the 09 is TRULY costing you about $10k. That is not a good deal.
I've had my CBR600RR listed on Craigslist with pictures and a good description, asking $6500, and not a single bite in two weeks. :( I dropped the price to $6000 yesterday, and still nothing, not even a tire kicker.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Where in Florida are you??? Central? NorthWest??

·
Registered
349 Posts
Get all Godfather on the Dealer...

Give him or her a kiss, call them Fredo and tell them ... "they broke your heart".

it worked for me...

Then I gave them 8600 in cash.... that is whole other story...

Money Currency Saving Coin Mason jar

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I've had my CBR600RR listed on Craigslist with pictures and a good description, asking $6500, and not a single bite in two weeks. :( I dropped the price to $6000 yesterday, and still nothing, not even a tire kicker.
More people will see it on CL if you move the Adv to the section they call "Casual Encounters" :eagerness:

Reactions: Horsman

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
He may need the equity in the CBR to get the FZ and it could be a long winter trying to sell a used bike. Convenience is worth something different to everyone.

Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where in Florida are you??? Central? NorthWest??
Jacksonville.

Get all Godfather on the Dealer...

Give him or her a kiss, call them Fredo and tell them ... "they broke your heart".

it worked for me...

Then I gave them 8600 in cash.... that is whole other story...

View attachment 9416
I'll pay for it with my credit card and earn a ton of points lol. :D

I'd tell them I'd do a cash deal at $8k OTD, and sell the RR myself.

2 weeks isn't long enough. It may take a month or two. Impatience will cost you.
Ah okay, I didn't know if that was a long or short amount of time to wait. I recently sold a 2012 Ninja 250R in two days, and that's all the experience I have with selling bikes. I'll keep waiting, hopefully someone grabs it soon.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He may need the equity in the CBR to get the FZ and it could be a long winter trying to sell a used bike. Convenience is worth something different to everyone.
Winter here in northeast Florida is the best time to ride. It gets real nice (75-80) and it stops raining all the time, so everyone's riding around.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
If you can honestly say that you'd pay $10k for the bike, cash... Then I'd say the dealers offer is worth taking. Because, that is truly what his deal is costing you. If however you would not drop $10k cash on the bike, then the dealers deal, is bad.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
If you can honestly say that you'd pay $10k for the bike, cash... Then I'd say the dealers offer is worth taking. Because, that is truly what his deal is costing you. If however you would not drop $10k cash on the bike, then the dealers deal, is bad.
That's assuming he will Get $6000 for his CBR. No doubt he'll get more than $4000, but it's anyone's guess, when push comes to shove, what he'll really accept as the weeks roll on....

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I don't trade anything in, because that my friend, is a guaranteed loss. It serves impatience. It serves impulse buying. It never serves the buyer.

Take my advice, or not, but I've got a paid off mortgage for a reason. And it didn't come from doing stupid things with my money.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I don't trade anything in, because that my friend, is a guaranteed loss. It serves impatience. It serves impulse buying.

It never serves the buyer.
Sure it does -- in this case The Buyer is the Stealership, and They buy wholesale and Sell retail. That's their business. :cool:

Reactions: Horsman

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not willing to go any lower than $5,000 on the CBR. There's older bikes with more miles on them going for the same price as mine, so either nobody's buying CBRs in my area, or they hate the color scheme, but I really don't see why someone would grab one with 10k+ miles instead of mine.

Tomorrow is dealership day, I'm gonna try a couple other ones that are about 40 miles away and see what they can do for me.

And yeah, I've got a fun ride right now, so I have no problem with holding off until it sells, its not like I absolutely need an FZ-09 immediately. It'd be awesome, but I'm patient and enjoy my bike enough to not rush into anything.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts