Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests, I am wondering what the risks are of buying a demo bike (at a good discount) and having it shipped to me. It's too far away and I don't have the time for a criss country ride at the moment. Plus, I figure shipping won't be much more than a one way plane ticket. Never contemplated something like this before. Any advice on what to ask/do, or should I avoid?

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
One thing to remember is that a demo bike has never been titled so you should receive a MSO with it as well as a full 1yr manufacturers warranty.....not a warranty that started when the bike was put into demo service.

Reactions: jmcghee41

·
Registered
584 Posts
it is a matter of trust and risk. Do you trust the seller to deliver on time what they say they are selling in the condition they say it is in? What risk in time and money are you taking? So ask yourself with the savings allow you to sleep till it arrives and answers all your questions.

Another question that mostly concerns California bikes and emission equipment that may impede registration if not correct for California

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Remember when you ride a bike for the first time, it takes time and errors to get used to the feel of the clutch and throttle before they can ride it correctly.

Now think about how many people used the demo bike.

·
Registered
730 Posts
My only concern would be, how was it broken in.............

·
Registered
186 Posts
For all the above reasons and comments, I personally couldn't do it. Even with the full warranty I wouldn't be comfortable because some things may not be obvious as warrantable, such as shift effort or accuracy. I cringe every time I see a Harley rider raise his boot a foot or more above the shift lever and drop it down for first with a loud 'clunk', perhaps he's never been into a bikes tranny and seen bent or burned (friction) shifter forks or a notched shift drum or cam plate, perhaps he has no mechanical empathy, perhaps he took a demo ride on your FZ...sorry but then if you don't keep bikes for long or care about the mechanics etc. and it's a really good deal then go for it I guess...but I'd save my pennies a little longer if it were me but that's just me...Mark

·
Registered
337 Posts
+1 on the comments about getting close up good pictures before finalizing the deal. Personally I would never do it either, hell even when picking up brand new bikes I spend tons of time looking them over for imperfections - way to anal to buy something that is blemished with my hard earned money. Let the pictures do the talking, even if the dealer states the bike is "mint" do not believe it, not everyone is on the same page when it comes to vehicle condition. Do some homework and base your decision on the discount, don't forgot to hire a good motorcycle transport company - there are real shitty ones out there so you need to be careful.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I once had the brother of a friend of mine go checkout a Ducati at a dealer in FL where he lived and where the bike was housed before I committed to buy/ship. It worked out well, my friends brother and I were able to be on the ph together while he was in the dealership looking over the bike. He pointed out things with paint and wear that I would have never thought to ask the dealer and weren't visible in photos.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts