Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I stuck my finger (here come the jokes) in the exhaust tonight. My finger came out black. I've also noticed black drops at the exhaust tip almost looks like splashed grease. Is this just soot and condensation? Anyone else noticed this? Go stick your fingers in!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe it is running rich from the factory?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Coreytrevor detected no oil usage after 5k miles.that's nice to know.
Might be interesting to get a look at the plugs.
Good point about the condensation from a potbelly bathtub of an exhaust!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Most of that soot/carbon is probably produced when the engine is cold, running on a richer mixture and not burning the fuel efficiently. Just need to take really, really long rides!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This could be tied in to the defective thermostat post....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perhaps the bike is running cold, not burning off water vap and the efi is running the bike rich.......hmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This could be a big problem....

·
Registered
347 Posts
Cars generally run very rich at cold start in order to heat the catalytic converter to the point where it begins working. Since emissions crap has started creeping into motorcycles I'd begin assume that's what is going on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Like others have said, its carbon and moisture. H2O is actually a bi-product when gasoline is burned. This and the condensation on the inside of a cold exhaust (smoking exhaust on start up, thats mostly wator vapor) are what make for the moisture. Carbureted bikes usually have a choke that when engaged, chock off air from the engine making it run rich. This allows the engine to warm up faster. Same principle with fuel injected engines but its done automatically. When the engine runs rich, you'll get a lot of carbon deposits. Combine the water and carbon and you get what you described.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I too would say its normal. You can try running a tank of race gas on a track day at WFO race pace and i bet the pipe will turn a nice gray-white color.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Did you do the suggested easy break-in, or the alternative hard break-in? Easy break-in will cause the rings to seat slowly if not at all which will cause more oil blowby.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i've riden it normally since i got it.
I agree that water is a by product - that doesn't concern me. The black heavy soot is a product of incomplete combustion or oil blowing by the valve seats.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My fan doesn't turn on till like 221 not like my r6 comes on at 210. Seem a little hot to me. But this has to be the most fun I have had on a bike in 30 years of riding

1 - 20 of 25 Posts