Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed a buring smell yet?

I havent tore it apart yet to see if its wires or hoses or what but damn theres something getting hot.

2k+ miles, shifting around 6-7k rpm.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
get that all the time, usually because something got on the exhaust pipe or the catalytic converter (the scrotum under the engine).

wait til it cools and clean it off with a cloth or if it was a piece of plastic or tar I use a razor blade after it has cooled

Reactions: taggat

·
Registered
83 Posts
I smell a slight burning smell also from day 1. doesn't matter if it is warm or hot. Figure its something on the top of the motor near the airbox. Tried to locate but didn't notice anything out of wack.
No its not:
Leg
Plastic bag
Pipes
Could be the Cat but the smell is mostly high near the tank

·
Registered
520 Posts
I had same thing, i put bike up on a rear stand and popped off chain guard and front sprocket guard to reveal entire chain, then cleaned out all the old chain lube grease that accumulated around engine block. Then it went away, chances are its that, or possible residual stuff/ foreign object on exhaust and such.

Keep in mind that heat rises, so a smell below or around engine will shoot straight up the bike.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts

I havent tore it apart yet to see if its wires or hoses or what but damn theres something getting hot.

THAT SMELL IS COMING FROM MY WALLET DUE TO MODS ORDERED ONLINE:cool:

·
Registered
673 Posts
Glad to find out I'm not the only one smelling something burning :D

I thought it was a wire that may be melting after I installed the ZX-10 shock and had to cut the plastic tray, but it didn't start until a couple thousand miles later.

·
Registered
31 Posts

I notice that my bikes will exhibit a burning smell after they get wet and dry off (washing or rain). I figure residual stuff from the water evaporating. Goes away after 20 mins or so.

Do you wash your bike a lot?

Ross

·
Registered
673 Posts
I notice that my bikes will exhibit a burning smell after they get wet and dry off (washing or rain). I figure residual stuff from the water evaporating. Goes away after 20 mins or so.

Do you wash your bike a lot?

Ross
About once every 2 weeks. Never with soap & water, just plastic polish & degreaser.

I smell it whenever I stop the bike, but can't find any melting wires where the tray had to be cut. I'm going to clean the chain lube that's living under my front sprocket cover and see if it goes away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts