Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1021 - 1040 of 1047 Posts

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
50 Posts
Tell me about it. Houston means that even if I want to hit up curvy roads I still need to ride about an hour's worth of highway to get there. Haven't had a chance to test out the padding reinsertion but it will need to happen soonish. Even when it's not cold the air rushes in and hits my eyes, annoying when not cold, and makes my eyes water when it is cold.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
30°F tomorrow morning.
I went ahead and sprung for the Hotwired Evo jacket liner (12V) system. I’ll be curious to see how much it helps. Based on reviews, I won’t be disappointed. If I like it, I might look into the pants and possibly glove liners as well.

Jersey Sleeve Jacket Collar Grey

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
50 Posts
Definitely on the list for my tour next year. Need to make it to CA by last week of April and will possibly be riding through some areas that are still damn cold.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Definitely on the list for my tour next year. Need to make it to CA by last week of April and will possibly be riding through some areas that are still damn cold.
I’m curious how nice the heating element in the collar will be. Bet that’s a very nice touch. I like how the jacket liner comes pre wired to be connected to their heated glove liners. My A* equinox gloves are a tad on the large side, and the liners might be perfect. Will report back.

·
Registered
Batmobile
903 Posts
I’m curious how nice the heating element in the collar will be. Bet that’s a very nice touch. I like how the jacket liner comes pre wired to be connected to their heated glove liners. My A* equinox gloves are a tad on the large side, and the liners might be perfect. Will report back.
Just get your truck straightened out so you don't have to ride every day, you crazy.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
50 Posts
I too have one of these systems, and I definitely feel drafts up around the ears.
Coldest morning riding here so far has been upper 20's.
Let me know if you put the padding back in and it makes a noticeable difference.
Slid the minimal padding back on the ear areas and didn't really feel a noticeable difference in the draftiness. I'm starting to wonder if my microphone placement is causing some weird turbulent air to hit me right in the eyeballs. This was never a problem prior to the Cardo install. I'll pull the mic out on the ride home from work today and see if there's any improvement.

If you specifically feel a draft in the ear area though, I'm sure padding that area would help a bit. My issue, now that I think of it a bit more, is more with wind ingress in the front area of the helmet.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Slid the minimal padding back on the ear areas and didn't really feel a noticeable difference in the draftiness. I'm starting to wonder if my microphone placement is causing some weird turbulent air to hit me right in the eyeballs. This was never a problem prior to the Cardo install. I'll pull the mic out on the ride home from work today and see if there's any improvement.

If you specifically feel a draft in the ear area though, I'm sure padding that area would help a bit. My issue, now that I think of it a bit more, is more with wind ingress in the front area of the helmet.
Thanks for the update. I bought a new balaclava with some wind proofing I’m gonna try tomorrow. My Hotwire gear should be here Thursday to try. Will report back. :)

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
50 Posts
Glorious day to ride... 60F and sunny in the afternoon! While I would rather be riding elsewhere, I rode to work instead :/

Two more days and I'll have a few weeks off work, can't wait to get some extended non commuting miles on this bike.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Maiden voyage this morning with the Hotwired jacket. First impression: Pretty nice. I was surprised how fast it gets hot. I wasn't even out of the driveway yet and I could feel my back getting very warm. At first I thought it was going to be too hot, but once I got going and on the highway, I felt like I could stand to have it even warmer. (Was on its highest setting.)

I didn't have the glove liners, but will be adding them tomorrow. I'll give the equipment another review after I've had it for a little while. It definitely takes the edge off of these cold highway stints.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Always good to read the manwell. Turns out the Hotwire jacket heat control defaults to "MEDIUM" heat after the first 5 min. So you need to reach down and click it back to "HOT."

The glove liners definitely work, but I wouldn't say they're HOT inside. My commute this morning didn't leave my fingers tingling from the cold, so that's nice. Overall I'm happy with the setup. Need to address this drafty helmet next.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Guess that's not a bad idea to default back to medium. Is that something you need to do every 5 minutes or just that once?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Guess that's not a bad idea to default back to medium. Is that something you need to do every 5 minutes or just that once?
Just once every time you turn it on. So say for example you stop for gas and you turn it off or disconnect, you'll go through that 'fast pre-heat' program again where it goes back to medium in 5min.

Another cold ride this morning and this gear made all the difference. Felt like I was in a space suit. Very neat.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Completely forgot about how if I ride in a snow storm, I need to cover my ignition... This morning my ignition was frozen stiff, so that made me a little late this morning. In my winter riding jacket, I keep a can of that key de-icer. I needed this last year. That helped to get the pins to move and get the key in, but not enough to get it to turn.

For that, I resorted to being a crackhead holding my key under a lighter... :LOL:
That works well, and I was off.

Edit: I forgot to add something alarming... The brake light switch at the front lever freezes which won't trigger your lights. I figured this out the scary way when my cruise control didn't shut off when I hit the brakes. The more you know...

Rainbow Sky Atmosphere Water Font

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Really putting the heated gear through the paces this week. Low 20's each morning for my commute.
So far, I'm staying comfy. :)

Azure Font Clock Screenshot Electric blue

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
50 Posts
46F with 50% humidity on the way in today... weather app says it "feels like 40F"

Had my shift racing winter jacket on and firstgear pants. The only thing that was getting cold at the end of my 30 minute commute was my hands, and general face area. I really need to DIY my mesh chinskirt into a solid windproof one. That'll reduce most of the air coming into the helmet I reckon.

Anyway I have 8 pairs of gloves coming in from MotorcycleGear.com today. My summer Astar GPX gloves once fit perfectly, but rode with them in the rain one day and it tightened up in the thumb area a bit too much that my thumb goes numb from it after ~20 min. My winter Olympia gloves are just old and the insulation is broken down and sad... doesn't offer much warmth these days.

1 Revit, 1 Held, a couple Scorpions, 1 Tourmaster, 1 Cortech and a couple FirstGear gloves. Looking forward to testing them out at home later today.

Btw, MotorcycleGear.com is cool with this practice. It's not something I'll do with many online vendors just to clarify.

·
Registered
Batmobile
903 Posts
I love motorcycle gear, I got most of my helmets from them at a crazy discount! The service is outstanding and the guys that run it are awesome too.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
50 Posts
I love motorcycle gear, I got most of my helmets from them at a crazy discount! The service is outstanding and the guys that run it are awesome too.
I really need to focus my spending but I've been eyeing an HJC F70 for a while... their price on it is crazy right now haha. That being said, my RF1200 is still plenty solid and another season or two. Maybe next year. I really want something relatively light with an internal sun visor.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
46F with 50% humidity on the way in today... weather app says it "feels like 40F"

Had my shift racing winter jacket on and firstgear pants. The only thing that was getting cold at the end of my 30 minute commute was my hands, and general face area. I really need to DIY my mesh chinskirt into a solid windproof one. That'll reduce most of the air coming into the helmet I reckon.

Anyway I have 8 pairs of gloves coming in from MotorcycleGear.com today. My summer Astar GPX gloves once fit perfectly, but rode with them in the rain one day and it tightened up in the thumb area a bit too much that my thumb goes numb from it after ~20 min. My winter Olympia gloves are just old and the insulation is broken down and sad... doesn't offer much warmth these days.

1 Revit, 1 Held, a couple Scorpions, 1 Tourmaster, 1 Cortech and a couple FirstGear gloves. Looking forward to testing them out at home later today.

Btw, MotorcycleGear.com is cool with this practice. It's not something I'll do with many online vendors just to clarify.
I fear once you go heated gloves you won’t go back. I’m completely sold on them now.

1021 - 1040 of 1047 Posts