Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

881 - 900 of 913 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
VA mountains again
No such luck here in Mass. Just plain Jane roads.

I did a good deed this weekend tho. The biker group I ride with, got 200 ish bikers together to donate money to a very young lady in our community that has Leukemia.

·
Registered
445 Posts
No such luck here in Mass. Just plain Jane roads.

I did a good deed this weekend tho. The biker group I ride with, got 200 ish bikers together to donate money to a very young lady in our community that has Leukemia.
We have some awesome roads. Here’s one I’m quite fond of. Here’s a slow ride though a couple cool turns.

Here a video I found on YouTube of some fast rides through the same area.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm no fast rider by any means, but I've been doing my interwebs lurking... and the guy up front in the second video has poor body positioning for turns. He just shifts his ass, but the head stays dead center. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,893 Posts
I'm no fast rider by any means, but I've been doing my interwebs lurking... and the guy up front in the second video has poor body positioning for turns. He just shifts his ass, but the head stays dead center. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Nothing wrong with that guy’s riding style at all.

This is how racers and riders have ridden throughout the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, and many still do today.

The whole “kiss the mirror” thing is actually a fairly recent development from the last decade or two. It comes from top level racing, where the tire technology has resulted in lean angles that require racers to move more of their upper body mass to the inside of the corner, because there’s just no more room for their legs and hips. It’s not typical - and certainly not advisable - to see lean angles like that on the road.

There is some benefit to hanging your head inward, especially if you get into a corner too hot. Your body position should already be set as you enter the corner, and shouldn’t be changed mid-corner. But if you find yourself running out of lean angle and can’t hold your line, sticking that head way down low and inside can give you a little extra wiggle room.

However - and I’m sure I’ll be at odds with a lot of YouTube heroes - I believe keeping your head up for the most part allows you to see the road ahead more clearly, which isn’t so important on a racetrack, but of immense import on public roads.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,893 Posts
I always say, if you can ride faster than this guy, then maybe you do, in fact, need to hang your head inside and drag your elbow. Otherwise...

·
Registered
2017 Hi-Viz and Matte Grey MT-09
410 Posts
I finally rode to work again today - I thought I had the perfect commute video to share, too. It was a touch smoky, but the traffic was very light, temps just right, and I had a blast. Then my GoPro decided it didn't want to record a single moment of it. I'm very sad. At least I enjoyed the ride!

·
Registered
218 Posts
@Moto26, that's why I prefaced my comment as I did. And you made very good points. Old style, old bikes. New style, new bikes.

YouTube heroes
This to me is laughable. YouTube Heroes... right... I agree with you Moto26, how many Grand Prix races have you won Mr. YouTube Hero? LMFAO.

I don't go hot into corners. I ride so I can ride another day! :)

Reactions: Moto26

·
Registered
447 Posts
Finally pulled my big boy pants back up and got back on after missing the end of summer not riding. I nearly crapped myself going through a regular corner so I decided to step away for a bit. Still haven't regained my confidence after seeing my sisters accident, but we'll get there eventually.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I rode to work yesterday. I'm determined to get that ride very roughly edited and posted up so I can show it off. It was actually halfway decent as far as smoke goes so it's perfect to give an idea of how amazing it is. Today was back to being too smoky to ride.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Rode today. Great weather...this morning. When I left the house there was a 3% chance of rain all day. Started to rain on the way home. I thought, what else (long story about how sh$tty today went) and then? Coming up on an Audi on a bridge (4 lanes each direction, I'm in #2, he's in #1) going about 3-4 mph faster than him, puts his signal on and starts changing lanes when I'm about 4' from his rear bumper. After I got past him, he found out he was #1, just like Biaggi did from Rossi all those years ago. No more "what else" questions asked the rest of the way home, I didn't want to know!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Another brisk morning ride to work.
This week I decided to put the liner back into my jacket, so you know it's that time of year again.
I've also started leaving my saddle bags on. I find it easier just keep a small towel in them for drying the seat off in the morning.

I've got the Yamaha OEM heated grips that need to go on soon. Looking forward to seeing how much that transforms my comfort through winter. (I've never had heated grips before.)

·
Registered
410 Posts
I rode to work yesterday (probably won't today) and had hoped to upload the video of Monday's ride. Well, it took about 24 hours to completely finish rendering and then uploading it on my rather mediocre internet connection.

Youtube seems to be still processing the HD versions, but it should be 1440p and 60 fps sometime soon. I'm clearly biased, but I think it looks pretty good dang at full res. At least during the day. At night, it doesn't make any difference whatsoever. 🤣

·
Registered
410 Posts
Decided today was nice enough to ride to work. Gotta make the most of my slightly more limited riding season now. I am still a bit worried about the ride home.

·
Registered
162 Posts
What, pray, is this 'work' of which you prattle?

Reactions: BattleBornBike

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
618 Posts
Jacket liners? What are those? Hell it's still t shirt and shorts weather down here. I love the weather to ride but hate getting dressed to do so. Sweat my ass off when not on the bike at speed.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Heck, if I could retire right now at 32, I most certainly would. This work racket is, for a lack of better term, a lot of work. Someday I'll figure out a way to get paid doing stuff I like doing and am good at.

881 - 900 of 913 Posts