Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a chance to demo the FZ yesterday at a dealership outside of PDX, Oregon and I was completely blown away. I purchased a Buell Ulysses about two years ago as a daily driver and have had nothing but problem after problem. Its a great bike when it works though, and Ive been pretty skeptical about what could replace it. Ive mentioned the FZ to people on the Buell forums I frequent, and people seem to genuinely believe that the FZ couldn't match up. Granted they are Buell forums, but many members own other bikes. I think I started to believe the Kool Aid, until yesterday.

I'm going to make my way back to the dealership today with one bike, and come back on another. Man, what a sweet ride. And reliable to boot!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Rode a few earlier model Buells form the late 90's to early 2000's - when they were sourcing the Harley Sportster motors and I was never impressed. Some great engineering with the fuel in frame, single large front disc brake, etc but there was nothing exciting about it at all, motor was blah and handling was nothing to write home about either.

Spend a couple bucks on upgrades to the FZ09 depending on your riding style and enjoy!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I have a 2014 Buell 09. ;)

Buell clubman bars on my FZ, but the Buell logo is the highest one on the bike lol.

Eric Buell is a cool designer, I'm glad he's around (without Harley) as EBR. His bikes are out of my price and skill range tough.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Eric Buell is a cool designer, I'm glad he's around (without Harley) as EBR. His bikes are out of my price and skill range tough.
EBR, had a display with the new bikes at Daytona. They were very cool indeed with a 185hp, 101 ft/lb modified Rotax V-twin, similar to a Ducati. They said the motor made it's max torque in the midrange, which is what attracts most of us to the FZ-09 motor. It's a very interesting new bike indeed, but is more of a pure racing super-sport and goes for about $19k.

Mike

Reactions: mknj671

·
Registered
337 Posts
EBR, had a display with the new bikes at Daytona. They were very cool indeed with a 185hp, 101 ft/lb modified Rotax V-twin, similar to a Ducati. They said the motor made it's max torque in the midrange, which is what attracts most of us to the FZ-09 motor. It's a very interesting new bike indeed, but is more of a pure racing super-sport and goes for about $19k.

Mike
Agreed, the new EBR stuff is a far cry from the original designs when they had Harley motors stuffed in the frames. They are expensive and I wish them luck racing this season, shame what Harley did to Buell and Eric when the economy tanked.

Mike - your username reflect offroad riding in Croom? Love that place and visited many times over the years on our annual winter vacation to ride down in FL - still have some videos of awesome single track on my Youtube channel.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yeah Mike, I hope EBR grows and can go into mass production of bikes that are reasonable for more riders.

A fantasy of mine is to have a few million $ laying around to have EBR develop a 500-750cc twin as light as possible, say low 300 pounds range naked. But that isn't going to happen lol. Development money goes into Superbikes.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yeah Mike, I hope EBR grows and can go into mass production of bikes that are reasonable for more riders.

A fantasy of mine is to have a few million $ laying around to have EBR develop a 500-750cc twin as light as possible, say low 300 pounds range naked. But that isn't going to happen lol. Development money goes into Superbikes.
Have you seen some of the new EBR/Hero stuff that is getting traction? Lower displacement motorcycles that seem aimed for foreign markets but with budget bikes doing well over here it would not surprise me if they eventually made it over to the states.

Competition between manufacturers leads to better products, the industry seems to be in a lull right now when it comes to model evolution. Between 1998 to around 2007 you could not stop the big four from doing ground up model changes or massive evolutions every two years just to keep up. Even the 600CC class has come to a screeching halt with Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki not making significant changes for a long while - at least Kawi and Triumph did massive updates on their offerings within the past couple years.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mike - your username reflect offroad riding in Croom? Love that place and visited many times over the years on our annual winter vacation to ride down in FL - still have some videos of awesome single track on my Youtube channel.
You got it!

Mike

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
the hero bikes looked pretty sweet but the front end of the naked looks awful IMO - kind of like the z1000 but worse.

I always liked the look of some buells - those bikes were actually the type of bike i always envisioned riding as a kid but i haven't seen many around these parts.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the new bike!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The Hero 620 will have a counter-rotating crankshaft, how do they get the wheel to go forward? Is the crank to clutch drive by chain instead of gear?

A '76 Honda CB400F inline 4 was my first street bike, it had a chain (not a roller chain, I forget what it is called, a bunch of plates on what looks like gears) that took the power from the crank to a "jack shaft", the jack shaft had a gear that drove the clutch basket. I forget why, maybe Honda wanted to take the power from the middle of the crank instead of out by the clutch.

Third season I had the bike, day after arriving in Maine from the midwest, while a buddy was riding the bike the bolt holding the gear on the end of the jack shaft came loose and spun out until it punched a hole in the side cover.

I laid the bike on it's side, took the cover off, tightened the bolt, epoxied the piece back into the cover. It held for years and thousands of miles to come lol. Only real mechanical trouble I had with the CB400F.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I traded in an 09 1125R for the FZ-09. After three charging system problems and out of warranty after last fix I parked the bike. Hope EBR has better luck now that there away from the bar and shield brand.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Too Old- exactly. I bought the Ulysses because I read so much about low-maintenance reliability with a few known issues. I think in almost two years I've had two good weeks of solid running. I still think Buell's are neat bikes, but I don't have the patience that the dedicated owners have. I like to work on/learn about my bikes, but I also like to ride them regularly and that wasn't my experience with the Uly.

Bought a liquid graphite yesterday, still in its crate. Pick it up this evening. Stoked!

·
Registered
151 Posts
clunky shifting, top heavy, high maintenance,
Yamaha's are like a claw hammer, just keeps on working, 42K on my FZ6 and I gave it to my daughter, It's still running great

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nateba, Wow I guess three voltage regulators, a stater and a head lamp bulb is nothing compared to your bikes problems. I put 9000 miles on the Buell and loved every one of um. Just didn't want to deal with it after warranty ran out. At 12000 miles rotate the engine to check the valves? come on! First valve check on FZ-09 26000 miles, cool.
Congrats on your 09, be safe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congrats on getting the fz. I picked mine up a week ago. Love the bike. My father has owned a ulysses for the last 6 years and has not had any issues with the bike at all. Was just curious as to what kind of problems you have had on your ulysses? Maybe there are some precautions we can take on his bike. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh man! This bike is sooooo rad. Is it weird that I like the twitchy throttle at the moment? It reminds me that I always have skills to sharpen. It's like riding a bull (which I've never done, but I imagine is nuts). This bike is amazing. I want to hang out with it all day long. So cool.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Oh man! This bike is sooooo rad. Is it weird that I like the twitchy throttle at the moment? It reminds me that I always have skills to sharpen. It's like riding a bull (which I've never done, but I imagine is nuts). This bike is amazing. I want to hang out with it all day long. So cool.
It certainly helps getting the front end off the ground :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts