Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be picking up my fz09 within the next week or so, and have been browsing around for parts, but sticker shock is hitting me pretty hard, lol. I guess it should be no surprise, as I've always owned older bikes and used or cheap Chinese parts were always in abundance, so breaking it to the girlfriend that registration, new helmets, windscreen and luggage will be draining another 2 grand won't fly too well lol.

Basically my question is have any of you fellow cheap skates found cheaper parts from other bikes that fit with minor modification, and what diy mods have you been able to do? Looking mainly for the following to do right away:

Windscreen
Top bag (needs to be on a bracket not on the passenger seat)
Exhaust - loud pipes save lives
Fender eliminator

Down the road I'll likely be doing HID lights, flush led signals, bar end mirrors, mounting my old speakers, adding radiator covers, belly pan, etc, but luckily I have the woman around to keep my impulsiveness in check!

Anyway, ideas are welcome and appreciated, hoping for a great season.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Members have been selling mods from their bike like their exhaust, windscreen and etc. Just wait till someone posts up some stuff for sale and jump on it. As for the Fender Eliminator, there are a few people on this forum who created their own fender eliminator or used existing parts from the stock set up to tidy it up. Good Luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tips will definitely keep an eye out. According to my insurance quotes, this bike has been one of the most stolen and crashed last year, so hopefully I'll come across some eBay part outs $$$

Oh and as far as the touring bike goes I thought about it but I've always had more fun on the smaller bikes. I don't need much, just basic luggage and highway comfort in the rare event I take a couple day ride. 99.9% of the time my riding is >50 mph, in or around town. If I had more time for travel I would tried to convince the girl to let me get the yj

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
The big thing is look around for good deals and sales. Like others have mentioned, with some patience you can find some good deals on here as well.

As for riding gear, I have great gear but all of it was bought while on sale or at clearance prices. Hit the bike shops an see if anyone is dumping last year's gear for a good price. For a new helmet, it has to fit right and be comfortable. But it doesn't need to be a $600+ Shoei unless there is nothing else out there that fits. HJC has some great DOT & Snell approved helmets that won't break the bank. Plus ear plugs make any helmet a quiet helmet.

Instead of a tail rack & top case, think of saddle bags that don't need ugly side racks. Like the SW-Motech sold at MOTOSTARZ.com for a good price for example. SW-Motech Bags-Connection Blaze Sport Saddlebag System for 2013-2014 Yamaha FZ-09, MT-09 | Motostarz USA | Motostarz.com

You can pick up a tank bag and tail bag as you need it, even a small back pack can do the trick to start with. There are lots of options to start with for storage that can work well for one an two day rides.

For a cheap windshield, keep an eye on here. Guys put windshields up for sale quite often because they want something different.

So just be patient, ride and buy as you need it and can afford it. We have all been there and wanted to do everything all at once, but cooling your jets will cut down on those bad impulse buys. Do your research, shop around, ask lots of questions on here and you will find what you want.

P.S. - there is a lot of great stuff on ebay & amazon, just look for the ones that offer free shipping. Plus a lot of sites offer free shipping with minimum orders. Don't be afraid to ask how a place is to deal with on here, chances are someone has delt with them before.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, I'll definitely keep an eye on here for parts. Forks will most likely be next year unless I see a real steal,, I know the suspension is a major complaint on this bike but compared to what I'm used to,, it might still feel like a improvement. As far as gear goes, I'm only down one helmet now. Picked up an arai signet q off eBay for $150, just need one for the girl. I've already got everything else sitting at the house =)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wouldn't waste money on exhaust, of your budget is really tight. The bike has plenty of power right out of the box, and wails like a banshee already. Suspensions save lives; loud pipes make you annoying to your neighbors and don't do anything for the car that side swipes you.

Reactions: sconnie

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice to hear that the stock exhaust is loud. Through YouTube it seemed pretty tame so I was worried about it. It has absolutely nothing to do with needing more power, and I'll respectfully disagree with you as far as the safety factor of a loud pipe. Unfortunately I live in Rhode island. Congested, horribly designed traffic patterns, and some of the most oblivious drivers you'll ever encounter on this earth. I've have been saved from getting sandwiched by merging drivers multiple times in the past with a couple revs of a yoshi where the shrimpy bike horn wasn't enough to get grandmas attention. A nice deep exhaust tone absolutely will raise awareness that you're on the road, and it's not obnoxious unless I want to sit in my driveway and rev it to 6k for no reason lol.

As far as suspension goes, I'm not a track rider and don't ride aggressive (we don't have many roads here that accommodate that type of riding anyway). I doubt the suspension on any stock bike is dangerous enough to throw someone under normal riding or panic stop conditions. Of course I'll be able to speak more intelligently after a few hundred miles. With the exhaust at least I have plenty of personal experience (including being hit once by a texting, left turning driver while I was riding stock lol)

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Ummm, the stock pipe sounds like a sewing machine.

You can drop a lot of weight, and add some good sound with an Akra, leave the baffle in, and you'd have a nice middle ground on noise.

There was also a Two Bros with PCV just posted on the board for $600. The exhaust options on this bike are quite affordable, for a full exhaust.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I put an M4 on a few months back. The fiance (who rides and is an MSF instructor) thought it was somewhat obnoxious, which I had to agree with - but it was better than stock. It is quite a bit louder than the stock exhaust. Speaking of "budget", I acquired the M4 via Amazon purchase with 100% credit card points and $0. This past weekend, I installed AIS Block Off Plates and an EJK fuel controller purchased from a member on here (used and for a good price). All I can say is "holy cow" those last 2 mods really smoothed it out, makes it run better but I'm not sure of gas mileage yet. The fiance was standing there when I first started it up (following the blockoff / EJK install) and now loves the sound and thinks it is totally different sounding, which I agree with also. I didn't think it was doing much backfiring/popping before but they really do make a difference.

Revving the motor (clutch in) with the M4 can be used to get attention of cars or to "yell" at them because the stock horn sucks for that. For that fix, the Stebel compact dual air horn just arrived in the mail this past weekend and be installed in the upcoming weeks. Revving with the stock exhaust is not very effective in my experience.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I put an M4 on a few months back. The fiance (who rides and is an MSF instructor) thought it was somewhat obnoxious, which I had to agree with - but it was better than stock. It is quite a bit louder than the stock exhaust. Speaking of "budget", I acquired the M4 via Amazon purchase with 100% credit card points and $0. This past weekend, I installed AIS Block Off Plates and an EJK fuel controller purchased from a member on here (used and for a good price). All I can say is "holy cow" those last 2 mods really smoothed it out, makes it run better but I'm not sure of gas mileage yet. The fiance was standing there when I first started it up (following the blockoff / EJK install) and now loves the sound and thinks it is totally different sounding, which I agree with also. I didn't think it was doing much backfiring/popping before but they really do make a difference.

Revving the motor (clutch in) with the M4 can be used to get attention of cars or to "yell" at them because the stock horn sucks for that. For that fix, the Stebel compact dual air horn just arrived in the mail this past weekend and be installed in the upcoming weeks. Revving with the stock exhaust is not very effective in my experience.

Thanks warrior. I've been seeing a lot of talk about the m4 on here so that's probably the direction I'm going to go. It's a shame you need to buy a controller as well (I'm so used to being able to tune carbs) but oh well.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I wouldn't waste money on exhaust, of your budget is really tight. The bike has plenty of power right out of the box, and wails like a banshee already. Suspensions save lives; loud pipes make you annoying to your neighbors and don't do anything for the car that side swipes you.
A loud exhaust doesn't stop people from noticing you are behind them. But it does help people notice you are right next to them so they don't change lanes into you.

Unless it's really loud, i had a KTM 640sm with an OEM titanium R6 can on it that was wake the dead loud. My boss said he could hear me lane splitting a good minute before he saw me in his mirrors.

·
Registered
155 Posts
As someone who studied motorcycle crashes for my college thesis, I disagree loud pipes save lives. The majority of fatal crashes are at intersections, where a bike is turned into either from the side (side swipe), or a vehicle turns in front of them. Pipes send a loud directional sounds, which doesn't make a difference in either of those situations.

"Loud pipes save lives" is a myth that needs to die a lonely death. There are so many other upgrades that can be done to increase safety, rideability, etc that will make a bigger difference to the ride. Pipes are awesome for more power, looks, and dropping weight. But for safety...don't lie to yourself...just buy the pipes because you want them...

According to this article, only 3% of motorcycle crashes come from the rear direction of the bike... Over 77% come from the front.
Most Common Motorcycle Myths Debunked: Part 1 - autoevolution for Mobile

Reactions: Socalrider

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks warrior. I've been seeing a lot of talk about the m4 on here so that's probably the direction I'm going to go. It's a shame you need to buy a controller as well (I'm so used to being able to tune carbs) but oh well.
Don't go by my choice. :) I probably would have saved up money (and still might) for a full exhaust, which is completely subjective per person on what they like for sound and looks. Personally, I like the look of this Ixil

Any time you change air / fuel, you're going to have to consider a fuel controller of some sort with FI. My past experiences were always with PowerCommanders and it took a leap for me to switch to unfamiliar territory of an EJK but it seems to be working just great.

Cheaper things to get you noticed would be hi-vis clothes/helmet, more lights or flashing lights, a loud horn, etc. Like someone else said, the exhaust points backwards so most of your sound on this is going to be for people behind you and possibly next to you. The FZ-09 isn't going to have a loud rumble like a big V-twin with open pipes (which I've had in the past).

Since there is a good bit of engine breaking on the FZ-09, especially with non-flashed ECU and still a bit with a flashed ECU, I've also been considering a Vololights kit that indicates breaking/slowing simply based on deceleration (not applying the brakes). Not sure of the license plate or the modulator just yet though. Anything to help avoid a car enema would be worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
As you can see, different people have different priorities. Ride the bike first and then decide which mods are a priority for you. It appears you'll be riding two up so my two cents is consider the ZX10R shock and stiffer front springs and heavier fork oil.

Reactions: Socalrider
1 - 20 of 20 Posts