Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked at one of the functional wind screens available and I cannot come to terms on installing it on my bike. I know that leaning forward and bending your elbows out will help, but it feels really goofy to me :( I wear a full face helmet, but I only have my Columbia winter coat for chilly mornings and it is freaking terrible for riding over 70mph. I took it to 112 and it I felt like I was going to loose my grip and fly off the bike lol. What are the best riding jackets that would be appropriate for this bike/style, including high speed 70mph and above? Consider this if money is not a factor. If I have to pay $300-$500 then so be it. Thanks :)

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I have looked at one of the functional wind screens available and I cannot come to terms on installing it on my bike. I know that leaning forward and bending your elbows out will help, but it feels really goofy to me :( I wear a full face helmet, but I only have my Columbia winter coat for chilly mornings and it is freaking terrible for riding over 70mph. I took it to 112 and it I felt like I was going to loose my grip and fly off the bike lol. What are the best riding jackets that would be appropriate for this bike/style, including high speed 70mph and above? Consider this if money is not a factor. If I have to pay $300-$500 then so be it. Thanks :)
A couple of issues here....
1. Getting out of the wind blast
The only way to get out of the wind blast on a naked bike is some sort of windscreen to help move the air over the top of you. A full on touring screen will do a pretty decent job of that, but I too don't like the way they look. A shorter screen will help also, but you will still be getting some wind blast in the upright riding position.

2. At 112 MPH you felt like you were going to lose your grip and fly off....
At those speeds, it is a choice of either dealing with the wind blast (no screen in this scenario) or sliding back on the seat a bit and tucking as far down as you can, gripping the sides of the tank with your knees, and keeping your grip firm (not tight) on the bars.

I've been at the 132MPH max on this bike a couple of times. Both times I did what I just described to you.....slid back on the seat a bit, lowered my upper body/head and tucked in as tight as I could behind the instrument gauge area, with my knees pressed in firmly against the side of the tank.

Reactions: andy8199

·
Registered
102 Posts
I actually found going from a leather jacket to a Mesh/Textile substantially helped with wind blast. My leather jacket seemed to make a pocket and push the wind into my chest.

I bought the Rev'it Tornado Jacket REV'IT! Tornado Jacket - RevZilla and it reduced the issue substantially. The air basically flows through the mesh and around the thermal liner. When I use the leather jacket, it feels like I'm riding with a kite. If you ride the bike in cold weather you could also take a look at the Rev'It Sand2 REV'IT! Sand 2 Jacket - RevZilla

In my experience jacket plays a fairly large factor in aerodynamics.

That's my personal result... YMMV. Also a little wind screen wouldn't hurt... ;)

·
Registered
416 Posts
I prefer a breathable leather jacket. Alpinestars makes great stuff. I always chuckle when I see people riding motorcycles wearing their winter jackets flapping all over the place lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
The Ermax 25 cm screen seems to be the perfect medium between full tour and non functional. I commute 75 miles every day and it gives you something to tuck under if needed (more or less). I'm 5'11 and usually sit up on the freeway and that screen doesn't eliminate the wind completely, but significantly reduces it. Plus it looks like it belongs there too!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The Ermax 25 cm screen seems to be the perfect medium between full tour and non functional. I commute 75 miles every day and it gives you something to tuck under if needed (more or less). I'm 5'11 and usually sit up on the freeway and that screen doesn't eliminate the wind completely, but significantly reduces it. Plus it looks like it belongs there too!
+1 on the Ermax 25. I have one too and love it. It really cleans up the front of the bike.

Without it the wind would hit me in the belly and upward. With it installed the wind starts just below the arm pits.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts