Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I say caused damage because I can clearly see whats wrong but I don't know exactly what I'm looking at. Doing 80mph on the highway this morning for work and the chain literally disappears on me. No injury and 3 hours later for a tow and I'm back home. Please let me know if there's a cheaper fix than replacing what looks like the lower engine cover.

20160830_170826.jpg

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
If that was mine I would clean it up real good and epoxy the broken piece back on... which is exactly what I said in the thread linked above

How many miles are on the bike? I'm curious if I should be looking to replace my chain before I end up with the same problem

·
Registered
274 Posts
If that was mine I would clean it up real good and epoxy the broken piece back on... which is exactly what I said in the thread linked above

How many miles are on the bike? I'm curious if I should be looking to replace my chain before I end up with the same problem
Assuming he has the piece.. chances are it's somewhere on the hwy. Maybe the op can chime in on that. The other problem is the chance that there is now shards of metal in his engine. You can change the oil, patch it and pray. But if those fragments find their way into the bearings, well, need i say more?

·
Registered
284 Posts

I'm at 11,000 miles and just ordered a new chain. I noticed an o-ring peeling apart last week and some slight binding of links. I clean and lube the chain every 200-400 miles, so I thought I would get more life out of it :icon_scratch:

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Dang!

Glad it didn't lock up the rear wheel. You can fix it with JB weld but to do it right you need to remove the oil pan. One to make sure the missing part is not floating in there. Two... kind of clean everything 100% perfect inside/out then put some duct tape on the inside of the engine then build up the outside with epoxy. Let it rest for a solid 48 hrs. Remove the tape inside then apply some epoxy on the inside too... same here, let it sure very good for few days before dumping new oil in there. That should do it.

Make sure to keep an eye on your chain from now on. 10K miles is about it on this bike... doesn't worth to extend the chain life anymore than necessary, won't proof anything. On mine the link started to get crooked/stiff around 10K miles also. I changed it right away... much cheaper if address early.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
How do you clean your chain?

I knew a guy that regularly cleaned his chain with carb cleaner and he wondered why his chains only lasted 4-5k miles...

For the most part, all that is necessary for cleaning a o-ring chain is to regularly wipe off the dirt with a rag soaked in a kerosene or wd40 or something similar. Then add a light layer of chain lube and then wipe off the excess lube.

Many people way over do it or way under do it and neither is good.

As to your damage, that is going to require a replacement engine case which equals a bottom end engine rebuild.

If I were you, I would drop the oil pan to make sure no parts or debris were floating around in there and then clean and degrease the hell out of the damaged case and JB Weld and patch in place. I suspect it will take several days and several layers of JB Weld to build up and fill the hole. I would probably also use some fiber like fiberglass cloth to add some strength to the repair.

Once repaired, check the repair often for cracks, leaks and if it ever starts to leak, disassemble and repair it again.

Unfortunately you cannot weld a cast aluminum engine block. It can be done but it is very easy to damage and warp the rest of the engine block in the process and cause other problems so it is not advised at all.

If you have the missing piece that would be great to be able to glue it back into place.

Good luck on the repair!

·
Registered
66 Posts
So these chains are catastrophically failing around 10,000mi rather than just stretching u til they're out of spec? That's concerning lol.

OP, glad you didn't eat it when the chain came off :)

Rather than a patch job would a new pan be a better/easier/quicker fix?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
So these chains are catastrophically failing around 10,000mi rather than just stretching u til they're out of spec? That's concerning lol.

OP, glad you didn't eat it when the chain came off :)

Rather than a patch job would a new pan be a better/easier/quicker fix?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
It looks like the damage is above his pan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The piece was lost with the chain on the highway. The chain was less than a year old. I'm looking to try the epoxy method recommended by a motorcycle mechanic friend.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I'd be willing to bet a failed master link. Out of curiosity; was your new chain riveted or clipped?
Yeah, this changes the story...a replaced chain is always suspect in terms of installation when it just "drops off". If a clip is used, and installed backwards, the clip can pop right off.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Please let me know if there's a cheaper fix than replacing what looks like the lower engine cover.
sorry to hear about that.

if it were only just a cover that was damaged. unfortunately that missing piece is part of the lower crankcase, which means that to replace it, you'd have to buy an entire new crankcase assembly (which includes the cylinders), completely disassemble the damaged engine, and reassemble it with the new crankcase.

it would be cheaper to get a replacement engine off ebay or a salvage yard if you can't do some sort of repair to that hole. if you're fortunate enough to live in an area with lots of motorsports activity, you might be able to find someone who can patch it somehow.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Some interesting replies on here... Good luck op. Your best bet of fixing this engine is finding the broken piece not saying it's impossible but very difficult. For sure worth a shot as you don't have much to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
514 Posts
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s58/wazfst1tyme/P1010041_zpsxr5vidco.jpg

Goop glue, a quarter with goop behind it, now lay it over the hole, then goop the outside of the coin to the case = DONE!
Literally glued a steel rod for a camera mount on the head. The hottest part of the bike is the head. Did the heat effect it? Nope. Could jb hold the rod in place, mount another rod out to the window and now add the heavy camera, [not a gopro]? No way!

Signed,
NOLTT

1 - 20 of 43 Posts