Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Swapping exhaust one of the nuts/studs was seriously, seriously seized; Nut sheared off so I tried plus gas releasing fluid, blowtorch, then 2 types of stud extractor. It finally moved but 馃槴a chunk of the 'boss' that receives the stud broke off. There is just about enough thread left at the bottom of the hole to take the replacement stud, and because the exhaust flange holds the stud straight, it is also getting purchase on the remaining threads on the broken section. However I am very nervous about applying serious torque to the nut/stud. At the moment it is not blowing, but I would like a bit more security. I have the piece that fell off; can it be welded back and tapped, or is there an epoxy repair putty that will withstand the heat?
Suggestions welcome!

Registered
Welding would be your best bet. Some people swear by JB Weld but I've heard just as many failure stories and on a header stud, I don't think I would chance it.

Registered
2017 Hi-Viz and Matte Grey MT-09
Plain-jane JB Weld on an exhaust component is a no-no. I put some on the "gooch" of my Jeep's exhaust header as a temporary repair (TJ 6 cyls had a design flaw that cause it to crack). The only thing it did was smoke and smell terrible until I replaced it. I believe they have a high heat/exhaust flavor of JB Weld now but I'm not certain I would even try that.

Registered
14 FZ09, 99 Vmax, 89 Venture
X2, find someone near you who can weld aluminum and be done with it. Exh ports are maybe not the best place to try out adhesives when a quality skilled welder could eliminate the problem permanently.

Registered
Swapping exhaust one of the nuts/studs was seriously, seriously seized; Nut sheared off...
If anti-seize was applied when the bike was new, such as putting on aftermarket exhaust right away - do you think this would have helped?

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
If anti-seize was applied when the bike was new, such as putting on aftermarket exhaust right away - do you think this would have helped?
Absolutely. I have also taken the opportunity to put in stainless studs with plenty of anti-seize. The studs are right in the firing line for any crap the front wheel throws up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts