Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
This is my first post so sorry if it is not in the right section. I'm french Canadian by the way ?

I have a 2018 mt-09 ( same as 2017 fz-09 )and i just changed my levers. Because of my inexpertise, I broke the black pin of the clutch lever switch. Right now, it is like if the clutch lever would always be pulled. Everything seems normal after a road test but I would like to be sure.

What does this switch do and is there any consequences of riding like it is at this moment ?

Thank you.

Note that i know that the bike would start in gear without pulling the lever, since the switch says i pulled it.

The picture is under the clutch lever, you can see where the pin should be.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello guys,
This is my first post so sorry if it is not in the right section. I'm french Canadian by the way ?

I have a 2018 mt-09 ( same as 2017 fz-09 )and i just changed my levers. Because of my inexpertise, I broke the black pin of the clutch lever switch. Right now, it is like if the clutch lever would always be pulled. Everything seems normal after a road test but I would like to be sure.

What does this switch do and is there any consequences of riding like it is at this moment ?

Thank you.

Note that i know that the bike would start in gear without pulling the lever, since the switch says i pulled it.

That switch is to prevent you from accidently starting the bike while its in gear unless you pull in the clutch. The older bikes didn't have them but since people keep getting dumber they are trying to make everything more idiot proof. :highly_amused:

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Better get another switch, and leave it in neutral when parked until you do.
And, welcome to the Pleasuredome.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright if its only a dummy-protection it's gonna stay like that until i find something cheap on Amazon. Thank you guys, very quick answers ❤

·
Registered
555 Posts
You should fix it.....

It might be a universal switch that Yamaha uses. Check ebay for one. I just got one for an 1989 Honda Hawk for 4.35 shipped from china.

You could also just start remembering to ALWAYS hold in clutch lever anytime you start it for maximum safety You also have the Neutral light telling you it is not in gear.

All my bikes I leave in gear and when I start them I pull in the clutch, free the clutch by pulling back on the bike to roll it a little where you can feel the clutch release, then I hit the starter. This way I never have the nasty clunk going into first gear.

Reactions: meinschaft

·
Registered
444 Posts
in my dualsport KLX 250s EFI when i short my clutch switch i remove my 7k RPM limiter in 5-6th gear and getting a higher max speed then 65mph lol.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
The quickshifters cut the igniton for a micro second while you change gear so it doesnt involve the clutch....also just jump the terminals and, in my case forget about the thing.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
It's not a bad idea to get in the habit of always starting any bike with the clutch lever pulled, even if you just checked to make sure the bike is in neutral.

·
Registered
1 Posts
sorry to bring up an old thread but mine has broke and now quickshifter dont work is that the issue? If so I'd need a new one :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello guys,

Thank you.

Hey how r u doing ?Do u remember where u brought that switch from ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts