Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All, I am trying to install a Brembo M4 caliper + 2005 R1 rotor (320 mm). I have ordered Brembo's spacers (220.A061.75 - 12 mm) but they are too short. I can't tie calipers fully (better to say torque screws), if I do so I lock the wheel (it locks to the edge/top of rotor, not on the sides where the pads contact).
I have read some entries and did a search on internet and it seems this setup should work, not sure what I have missed.
In any case, anyone has tried this with any degree of success? If so, what spacer size was used?
I think anything around 15-16mm might work, looking for references so I can decide what to look for.
Worst case scenario, go back to stock rotor and try 7mm spacer.

This is for front calipers.

Thank you in advance for any help/tips.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Going off memory, stock is 298. Going to 320 is 22mm, so you need 11mm for perfection. I just used 10mm spacers and worked fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going off memory, stock is 298. Going to 320 is 22mm, so you need 11mm for perfection. I just used 10mm spacers and worked fine.
Thank you Keef.
I think the issue is that brembo M4 calipers are are shorter than OEM ones. My 12 mm brembo spacer kit did not work so I went to flea bay and ordered a few brembo spacers (seller trc0928, not sure I am breaking any rules here) from Taiwan, ranging from 2mm, 3mm and 16mm. I guessed that I would cover anything from 14mm through 19mm (combining multiple spacers if necessary, not sure if it would be the best or if I would be risking any safety).
16mm spacer worked like a charm, no issues that I could identify. The only odd small little thing is that disk and pads seem offset, meaning, disk is closer to one pad than the other. I haven't installed my break lines yet so there is no pressure on those pistons.
All and all, once all is back in place, I believe that this 16mm spacer will work just fine.
I will try to get some pictures comparing OEM and Brembo calipers, including some measurements. Also, I will get some pictures from assembled 320 mm disk + M4 caliper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update information: my break lines are short now, moving from stock to M4. I have a Spiegler 2 line kit (made for 2014 FZ-09, reference is S-YA0266, alternative 2 line front kit) that is now definitively short on both lines, if used in its original setup. My left side line can be used on the right side caliper now, and I could use the second line to loop over from right side to left side caliper. Not the prettiest solution but I think it would work. Same for stock lines (these might work but with some odd angles and tighter line routing), even though it is not an option but I checked anyway. So I still could not add break fluid back and actually test and check if offset I observed with M4 will be a problem or not as well if spacers (16mm) are indeed ok.
I will post again once I go through these steps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally, what size spacer is used? Bcz same problem with me now.
Hi, I ended using a 16mm spacer, worked ok without the need to add any smaller ones. Still missing pictures and still using those Spiegel lines but fully functional! I hope this helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, just recevie Cycle Gear Customer Service Inquiry Part fitment reply, they said (So it looks like the Brembo Caliper Spacer Kits will work for your bike with the M4 calipers. The correct item number from Brembo is 220.A061.75) and Addiction Motorsport Ltd reply, they said (Looks like you need 22mm spacers and 85mm bolts.
Sorry but we don’t do anything like this.)

So I'm still confused,but I will try 16mm spacer first.anyway thanks for your information.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was fairly non expensive the one I bought from fleabay (moniker here). I bought a one brembo and that DID not work with larger R1 rotors. I think if you keep stock rotor, than it would work.
I took some pictures, clearance is tight but there is no contact between rotor edge and M4 inner grove. Not sure if pictures below are clear enough to showcase what I mentioned.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello, just recevie Cycle Gear Customer Service Inquiry Part fitment reply, they said (So it looks like the Brembo Caliper Spacer Kits will work for your bike with the M4 calipers. The correct item number from Brembo is 220.A061.75) and Addiction Motorsport Ltd reply, they said (Looks like you need 22mm spacers and 85mm bolts.
Sorry but we don’t do anything like this.)

So I'm still confused,but I will try 16mm spacer first.anyway thanks for your information.
I added some notes and pictures, hopefully this will help you!!! Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It was fairly non expensive the one I bought from fleabay (moniker here). I bought a one brembo and that DID not work with larger R1 rotors. I think if you keep stock rotor, than it would work.
I took some pictures, clearance is tight but there is no contact between rotor edge and M4 inner grove. Not sure if pictures below are clear enough to showcase what I mentioned.
The picture is stock brake rotor, not the 320mm?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts