Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gentlemen. Well, men.

This will be my first brand new Motorcycle. First bike bigger than a 125cc to be honest!!! I have two real questions that I would like any input on.

First: How should a new bike be broken in?? is it true that you should not take it over 50 for the first xxx amount of miles or hours or what? I really have no idea.

Second: My motorcycle will have to be parked outside. I do not have a garage, and I will be riding it to work most days but not everyday. I have decided against lo-jack. Do ya'll have any great suggestions for preventing theft. So far my best options are, FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE and a disc-brake lock. Anything else?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the link and the advice. My initial response to the article being black and neon felt like a persuasive article to do the wrong thing. I'm not sure if you know what I mean... but sometimes in weightlifting mags and such there are these AD's that look like real research articles but then you realize in tiny print it says......."promotional advertisement" or some crap like that. That being said; the info seemed legit. I have access to country roads and I will do my best to get a handle on the power and let er rip early on. Thank you.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What does "warming up the engine completely" consist of? is there anything to do or just let it idle for a length of time?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you don't have a garage, park it in your living room.
Believe me, I've considered it. I've even seen it too! mostly with dirtbikes that don't get used everyday; and I would if I could fit everything, but with a scooter on the porch, two bicycles in the house, and a car in my only parking spot, I'm stuck leaving it outside my bedroom window in the Apt. parking lot. It gets tedious wanting to lock it up to a pole with a cable every night! AAAAAGH! I wish motorcycles didn't disappear so damn frequently in the Bay Area or I just wouldn't worry as much.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hell, that scooter should be getting bumped for the FZ-09.
I know that this is a Yamaha site, buuuut, you should bump that scooter for a Honda Grom! Have you seen those things?!?! They look freaking awesome! Two of my buddies have deposits on them.

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
What does "warming up the engine completely" consist of? is there anything to do or just let it idle for a length of time?
Normally that consists of let the engine run until the temperature gauge shows that you are at or very near normal operation temperatures. To be honest, I'm not real good at doing that. I will usually warm up the track bike before going out for a session though. It lives it's life in the 12,000 to 15,000 RPM range when on track.

·
Registered
699 Posts
We will see how it goes, and hopefully we wont need any BOLOs! :fingerscrossed:

We can add it at any time my friend. One of my favorite quotes: "We will burn that bridge when we get to it."

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
the most important thing is getting the oil up to operating temperature before running the engine too hard. unfortunately most bikes don't have gauges for oil temperature, only coolant temperature. oil takes longer to warm up than coolant, not to mention that the desired operating temperature range of oil is also higher.

what i do is start the bike and let it idle while putting on my gear and doing a quick walkaround check of the bike (making sure lights are working, tires aren't flat, etc.) which will take a few minutes. then for the first 15-20 minutes of riding (longer during winter) i'll keep the revs low, basically just taking it easy. riding the bike will heat up the oil faster than just idling because now you've got the transmission and clutch helping things along. and taking it easy at first also helps reduce the chance of you wiping out due to cold tires.

after that, let er rip.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
We will see how it goes, and hopefully we wont need any BOLOs! :fingerscrossed:

We can add it at any time my friend. One of my favorite quotes: "We will burn that bridge when we get to it."
sounds good.

especially considering we don't even have our bikes yet.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yah, I was pretty blown away when I was looking at new models I came across the GROM! pretty neat little thing for that 125 size... just like my ZUMA but a bike platform. Even tho I would look huge on the thing, I bet it looks less wussy than the fact that my scooter is step through.... but I really enjoy the scooters trunk capacity for hauling things and cruising to the market. I'm just glad i'm getting the FZ-09. The scooter will hold it's place on my roster :encouragement:

·
Registered
27 Posts
pay attention to his link here, for there is your answer.
i have lots of hobbies and limited time and money. i buy really nice things and keep them a long time; bicycles, cameras, stereos, cars, jeeps and motorcycles. just a few years ago, i sold my 1979 CBX that I bought new. i drove the piss out of it for almost 30 years and never took off the head. i've got other stories of longevity, but won't bore you more.

i did tons of research in before picking up the first 2008 CBR1000RR arrived in this state. the link below was one of many that helped me decide that the best way to break it in is with a dyno or a trackday. public streets can obviously be used, but with the power of liter engines these days, we're talking wheelies at extra-illegal speeds. (unless you know that traffic laws are officially only for commercial vehicles and know how to defeat tickets, but that will have to wait)

here is what i did to break in my honda:
1. picked up the bike on saturday and drove about 150 miles.
2. changed the oil with quaker state, which reportedly is one of the best for breaking in
3. went to the track for a track day and gradually increased power for the morning sessions:
1st session: went to around 10k rpm with about 1/2 power
2nd session: went to redline with 2/3rds power
3rd session: went to redline with 3/4 power
longer cooldown for lunch and then let it rip, wheeling from 115-125mph in third.
drove it like i stole it from my ex girlfriend all afternoon.:kiss:
it smiled as i drove home.

ideally, i would have let it cool completely between sessions, but i could not get myself to skip sessions just to be more of a purist.
this is why a dyno is best; dyno runs are not fun!

be very careful if you have no experience with this level of power/weight ratio. the 'event horizon' is very far away when you can hit 120+ in just a few seconds.

regarding putting it in your living room, been there done that.
at least get a cover to keep the water off. if you winters are harsh or you are near the ocean, put it inside even if you have to rent a storage unit.

This thread http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/137-scheduled-servicing-maintenance.html
has the link to Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Given that you aren't used to the HP and weight of the FZ, and might not have country roads nearby, that might not be an easy way to break in a bike. Be careful where you point that thing. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Follow the manufactures recommendations. You Cant Go Wrong. Some will tell you to run it in fast and hard... I trust the guy that engineered it from the ground up. Everyone else is guessing.

And... +1 on Bobby Walnuts post

the most important thing is getting the oil up to operating temperature before running the engine too hard. unfortunately most bikes don't have gauges for oil temperature, only coolant temperature. oil takes longer to warm up than coolant, not to mention that the desired operating temperature range of oil is also higher.

what i do is start the bike and let it idle while putting on my gear and doing a quick walkaround check of the bike (making sure lights are working, tires aren't flat, etc.) which will take a few minutes. then for the first 15-20 minutes of riding (longer during winter) i'll keep the revs low, basically just taking it easy. riding the bike will heat up the oil faster than just idling because now you've got the transmission and clutch helping things along. and taking it easy at first also helps reduce the chance of you wiping out due to cold tires.

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
I'm more of the break it in very hard logic. It's got a warranty and after breaking one bike in using the motoman's method, I'm inclined to do the same with the new FZ 09. YMMV

Reactions: Janx101

·
Registered
7 Posts
Let it warm up and no short shifting. 1st oil change 50 mi past the second stage of recommended higher rpm operation, usually 500 to 600 miles. City or mountain riding if possible, try to avoid highway mileage at all cost. No passengers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts