1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
When I bought my bike,. I trailered it home, drained out all the oil and coolant , then rode it in first gear at redline for 10 minutes.....I recommend that everyone do this as I think this is the only way you can really know that's its truly broken in..

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I bought my bike,. I trailered it home, drained out all the oil and coolant , then rode it in first gear at redline for 10 minutes.....I recommend that everyone do this as I think this is the only way you can really know that's its truly broken in..
If it wasnt winter and not very cold out, what was the purpose of also draining the coolant? I appreciate the initial oil drain, but did the coolant drain actually make a meaningful difference in your breaking it..in...???

Inquiring minds want to know. :cool:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Rode it hitting the gas pretty hard to seat the rings.

Careful to stay below around 6k rpm's and not to overheat.

Got almost 9k miles on it now. It runs like a striped ape. Does not smoke or use any oil.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That is the exact guide I used for my break in but I skipped the 50 mile oil change. Did one at 25 and 100 miles. I used the same method on my previous bike... no way I can wait 600 miles to stretch her legs. Just not gonna happen.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This can of worms again...

I did hard break-in, wasn't sure about it first, after all this is my first new vehicule,
but reading a lot on hard break-in convinced me about it.

Oil change at 30miles - very dirty, 60 miles - not so bad, 300 miles - almost clean and 600 miles - same as 300.
Still too low milage to put synth in it, but no oil consumption at all yet, strong pulls.

Be right in the rear wheel of your friend's tuned z1000 while he's thinking he's half a mile away is really priceless...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
377 Posts
I do a variation of B.

lots and lots of accel/decel, no steady rpm. no extended high rpm, (if you look in the manual for our bikes, it says no extended, not NO high RPM on break in.)
I didn't change the oil till 1k, at which time I went full synth. and 2-3k intervals from then on.

My bike burns 0 oil, leaks 0 oil, and runs like a raped ape.

My 2001 Bandit, on the other hand, I broke in super gently, according to the suzuk manual, and that bike burned oil. After an engine rebuild, I broke the 'new' engine in according to 'B' option, and it never burned or consumed a drop of oil. (well until that cadillac cager killed my bike and almost me)

YMMV, as always.

·
Registered
125 Posts
First 100 miles was hard throttle but staying under 6k rpm, then I changed the oil at 150. Rode it hard for another couple hundred miles then started riding normally and changed the oil at 700. I'm now at 1400, I've got no oil consumption and it goes like hell.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I do a variation of B.

lots and lots of accel/decel, no steady rpm. no extended high rpm, (if you look in the manual for our bikes, it says no extended, not NO high RPM on break in.)
I didn't change the oil till 1k, at which time I went full synth. and 2-3k intervals from then on.

My bike burns 0 oil, leaks 0 oil, and runs like a raped ape.

My 2001 Bandit, on the other hand, I broke in super gently, according to the suzuk manual, and that bike burned oil. After an engine rebuild, I broke the 'new' engine in according to 'B' option, and it never burned or consumed a drop of oil. (well until that cadillac cager killed my bike and almost me)

YMMV, as always.
nothing to do with with your break-in on the Bandit. I'm sure you know about the 2001 and 2002 Bandits?? Oil Burners......

Bandit 1200 'oil burning' issue archive

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Ran the bike (hard) on day #1 the way I'm riding it on day #146 (which is today).
No issues... 6k miles later.
(psst, nobody tell the other colors... the RED fz09 doesn't have a REDLINE limit) :director:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ran the bike (hard) on day #1 the way I'm riding it on day #146 (which is today).
No issues... 6k miles later.
(psst, nobody tell the other colors... the RED fz09 doesn't have a REDLINE limit) :director:
It really sucks for those w/o The Red bikes engine. They probably need to baby their engine. :cool:

Reactions: VERSYS8 and 24v

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's been said the blue wheels on the liquid graphite models have super magnets in them allowing them to spin at .87 times faster than the speed of the regular models wheels....adding 5hp each. Man i'm glad I went graphite :p

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Pretty close here but changed oil first time at 100 miles. I always build revs and let it torque down. Worked for me in motocross, and works for me on the road. I am oil burn free.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Are you serious??? Really??? Is this meant to be humor??? Did you mean: "I think this is the only way you can really know that's its truly broken?" Of all the new motor break in methods I've heard, this is the worst advice. I find it difficult too believe a motor could endure such abuse. This (my) post is not meant to be offensive. :color::cool::color:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts