Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone, first post here.

I just picked up my 2014 FZ09 on thursday of last week, and am about to need the '600 mile service' done on the bike. Now, I'm told there are a bunch of different adjustments that need to be made, all fluids are going to be changed, as well as a new oil and air filter. I was quoted $426 bucks for this service, what all actually needs to be done? The price of this service is a bit shocking, and I feel like its way over inflated, they quoted me 100 bucks(lol) for the oil change alone. This is my first experience with a brand new bike, so forgive me. Could I get this done at an independent shop? Could I do any of this myself?

Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
That price is outrageous look in your manual and it will show you what needs to be done. They will definitely NOT be changing ALL the fluids, for example. Do it all yourself and save some cash. The only thing you might need them to do is the throttle body sync

Reactions: Lateralus and beck

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That price is outrageous look in your manual and it will show you what needs to be done. They will definitely NOT be changing ALL the fluids, for example. Do it all yourself and save some cash. The only thing you might need them to do is the throttle body sync
That's what I thought, man does that sound high. I was going to go get a new chain brush from them today but i think ill just get one from cyclegear instead. Everywhere else im seeing people saying the same thing, someone did pay for the first service and it still only cost him $150.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Change the oil + filter, clean and lube chain, check tires + air pressure, give the bike a good once over to make sure all screws/bolts are tight and ride!

Very easy to do your self (at most $50 for oil, filter and chain wax). When you're new is the perfect time to learn about your motorcycle- you have no bad habits yet!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Change the oil + filter, clean and lube chain, check tires + air pressure, give the bike a good once over to make sure all screws/bolts are tight and ride!

Very easy to do your self (at most $50 for oil, filter and chain wax). When you're new is the perfect time to learn about your motorcycle- you have no bad habits yet!
+1 to this with a twist, used chain wax for over a decade, it does its job well but dirt and road grime stick to it, switched to a silicone/Teflon lube spray, oring safe and doesn't attract all the grime like the chain wax, I hate wasting time I could be riding, cleaning, so it was awesome!

Reactions: Tigershark

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright then I'm just going to do it all myself, I appreciate the advice! Saved me 426 bucks :)

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Dealership = Stealership:cool:

Reactions: Fitzgr88

·
Registered
275 Posts
Im in the same boat but i have done oil changes with my other bikes but this is my first new bike i thought about getting it done professionally.....

They also quoted me around $400 and with that it is time for me to do some research on what oil and filter to buy.

I use to use the diesel oil that was recommended for my Bandit 600 which was $20 for the big container. I know this would open up some debate but what is the basic oil to use? This is my commuter and I plan to change the oil as scheduled on the manual.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I took my bike to the (st/d)ealership for the 600 mile service as they synced the throttle bodies. Seemed to run smoother after but it could be all in my head.

I changed the oil myself at the next interval. I use Castrol 10w-40 Actevo. A reputable shop recommended it and it's pretty good. Good bang for the buck. I also use the K&N filter just because the nut makes it so much easier to install/remove. As long as you change it often, I think any oil will be fine. my .02

Castrol.jpg

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im in the same boat but i have done oil changes with my other bikes but this is my first new bike i thought about getting it done professionally.....

They also quoted me around $400 and with that it is time for me to do some research on what oil and filter to buy.

I use to use the diesel oil that was recommended for my Bandit 600 which was $20 for the big container. I know this would open up some debate but what is the basic oil to use? This is my commuter and I plan to change the oil as scheduled on the manual.
I found a topic about it on reddit, people were saying that they paid in the ballpark of 150-200 for the service. I couldnt justify more than 150 for it, definitely not 400. I'll take my chances and do what everyone else has and change it myself. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I found a topic about it on reddit, people were saying that they paid in the ballpark of 150-200 for the service. I couldnt justify more than 150 for it, definitely not 400. I'll take my chances and do what everyone else has and change it myself. :rolleyes:
The 600 mile service was $225.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I paid something like $220 for the first service.

·
Registered
208 Posts
That's what I thought, man does that sound high. I was going to go get a new chain brush from them today but i think ill just get one from cyclegear instead. Everywhere else im seeing people saying the same thing, someone did pay for the first service and it still only cost him $150.
Mine's scheduled tomorrow. I think it's around $150. I'm going to let them do the first change or two then I'll do it myself

Reactions: DTM74

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

Did this and then gave the dealer the bike for first service. Told them not to change oil or adjust the chain to their "spec". Came to [email protected]$90/hr.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The good thing for me is since i work in a high school, the shop class is offering their space for me to do the work and that if their students can help. im a little iffy since i dont want them work on my bike yet and that they can just watch.

Also the other issue i have is that i have the 2 brother s1r exhaust and that it seems that it will be a pain getting to the filter.

·
Registered
806 Posts
$400 + bucks wow Take that money buy the following stuff aes frame slider kit comes with spool for the swing arm, go to harbor freight get a oil filter wrench & a rear tire lift, go to Walmart get 3 quarts of oil & filter (right kind for fz-09) Save 200+bucks! And that's calculated with full syn. Oil if you go that route after break in. I won't say what kind of oil on here that's worse than talking about politics on here.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I took my bike to the (st/d)ealership for the 600 mile service as they synced the throttle bodies. Seemed to run smoother after but it could be all in my head.

I changed the oil myself at the next interval. I use Castrol 10w-40 Actevo. A reputable shop recommended it and it's pretty good. Good bang for the buck. I also use the K&N filter just because the nut makes it so much easier to install/remove. As long as you change it often, I think any oil will be fine. my .02

View attachment 14385
Awesome oil! I will be using this too.

I negotiated the first service free when I bought the bike.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My dealer just told me a little over $200 for first time service and I asked why. Said they change all the fluids plus check valves and plugs, said 50% of the time plugs are bad from the initial burn off of a fresh motor. Also sync TB's and check bolts/chain.......
Think I'll go ahead and let them do first time service but that's it...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts