Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need to replace the chain on my fz. I was looking at chain rivet tools, and they all look the same. The plastic cases are identical and the tool looks completely identical. The only difference is price.... which range from $20 to nearly $100. Has anyone had experience with these? Are the more expensive tools better quality and or better quality steel? There's no point in buying a name brand motion pro rivet tool if its the same as the amazon one?!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I bought a $80 originally and it let me down after about 3 uses... It failed on me while in a pinch so I ran to cycle gear and got their stockton brand for $20... Maybe it was $40. I can't recall, but it looks the same as the red case in your first photo. It has held up for 5 chains thus far. Maybe my first one was a lemon, but I'll probably be sticking with the $20 route until it bites me in the ass.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Awhile back I modified a Harbor Freight chain breaker into a riveter.
It doesn't work nearly as well as a Motion Pro but at my age I gave some thought as to how many more chains was I going to install so it's good enough for me.
Mucs Visit--Monday Jan 6th 006.JPG

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I've used this one for years.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've used this one for years.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
I like that that one doesn't require a grinder to cut a link out! and its right in the middle of the price ranges. thanks!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Dont cheap out, buy a nice one for around $100. Motion-pro is who I used. It will last you a life time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dont cheap out, buy a nice one for around $100. Motion-pro is who I used. It will last you a life time.
Yeah I think im going to go with the Motion Pro PBR chain breaker tool, which also does riveting. its close to the $100 mark

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Get the PBR its the best in my opinion after using both the one you show and this one ! Motion Pro - PBR Chain Tool by far the best out of the two ! and it Will push out the rivet with out grinding...with the one you show ...all i can say is buy extra pins and good luck removing rivets with-out grinding first !

·
Registered
104 Posts
+1 for the motionPro PBR tool

·
Registered
580 Posts
I bought one like the cheap Amazon one pictured. I broke a pin the second time I used it due to not paying attention. The MotionPro pins are exactly the same size. Otherwise it works great, have done two more chains since for friends. I do grind the heads off of rivets on the old chain because why work the tool any more than it has to? Is there some reason I'm looking to save the old chain?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts