Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you belief that Yamaha factory parts, especial a brand new axle has nearly .020" run-out!?
So watch out guys, and double check all parts before installation...

IM001608.jpg

·
Registered
877 Posts
Hell, in the past I have straightened bent fork tubes to better, usually .002 to .005 " TIR

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That looks like a fork?
Upps sorry, indeed its a fork tube.

Hell, in the past I have straightened bent fork tubes to better, usually .002 to .005 " TIR
Correct, we did it for the front axle that was bent .010" and now it is straight to within .0015".

Still their is NO excuse from any manufacture to ship faulty parts, no sure if it was from the batch, shipping or handling but that's simple not acceptable.

---
If you guys wounder why I'm replacing the fork tube.. HA not so funny.
I had a 15mph frontal crash in my tight city alley with a KIA Sorento, I love those moments when you realize that you have no where to go and you get hit :icon_shaking2:.
Shaved of as much speed as I could but the driver simple reacted to late, well I didn't dump my bike but I ran into her front bumper. TO bad that most modern bikes have thin forks, that a little frontal bump took 3 distinct bends.... ooohh well at least I will get a Stoltechs GP upgrade HA.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
yamaha doesn't give runout specifications for the fork tubes - they simply tell you to replace it if it's bent.

you can either try to get a replacement and hope it's better, or get this one straightened and you'll know with certainty that it's good.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Please define "run out."
Take something like an axle that is supposed to be a straight rod. Place the ends in stationary Vs and a measuring device like in the photo by the middle of the axle. Slowly turn the axle. If it isn't straight it the middle will wobble back and forth, the range of that movement is run out.

Or with forks, one end securely clamped, turn the other end. Does it wave? Time to call Saul...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
- Warning little biased ahead -
More news from my awesome Tuner Lloyd... I'm glad having him on my site!

-------------------------------
"The fricking second part came yesterday--it too have .019" bend in it... (however he straightened it).

You know not that long time ago when I was at a Yamaha dealership doing warranty cam replacement on a XV1700 (pitted cams issues) Yamaha sent me a replacement cam that was worse then what I was trying to replace, 2 more cams came and also were worse, then they started sending those cams I rejected back again (apparently those were the only 3 cams in any warehouse so they were recycling them....lol), in the end of the day I went on the showfloor and pulled another new bike off the floor and robbed it of its cams so the customer would not miss anymore than the 2 months he had already lost. I did not really give a damn about the "new" bike or how long it sat without cams, 3 months later when I left there that "new" bike still sat camless and yamaha still had no other cams in any warehouse that actually were good."
-------------------------------

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bit more news on my 9er aka GRocket, it was her first encounter with professional service lol
- Lloyd did an great job of the throttle adjustment, now with Nick's ECU flash its just super fun
- Carbs where off.. glad he check and sync them
- got the Stoltec's GP suspension kit now (thanks Nick for the quick turnaround)
- Lloyd dialed me into the new suspension... nothing is better than an experienced tuner!

Carb sync
IM001647.jpg

Happy ridding fellows.. we are having the best time doing what we love!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Can a mod please correct the title of this thread so it's accurate and perhaps be found more easily in the future.

Is there a way to "report" a thread?

I just think a new fork with that much run out is more noteworthy than an axle, so the thread may not be getting the attention it deserves.

·
Registered
659 Posts
How exactly are you measuring it? 2 V blocks on a granite plate with the stanchion tubes out?
I was going to ask the same thing. The photo looks like the upper tube is supported in a vice/bracket and the lower stanchion is being rotated. I am no expert, but I think this method would yield false figures because you are now measuring run out of the fork tube combined with any play in the inner bushing.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I was going to ask the same thing. The photo looks like the upper tube is supported in a vice/bracket and the lower stanchion is being rotated. I am no expert, but I think this method would yield false figures because you are now measuring run out of the fork tube combined with any play in the inner bushing.
Exactly. You're also stacking tolerances and wear from the guides/fork seals.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts