Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello.
yesterday, I've unboxing new FZ09 in Korea. (I'm Korean. sorry for my poor english :eek:)

I rode just 12 miles.
but front break lever pressure was still soft.
it's very short riding. but I thought it was good enough to fill break fluid pressure.
I typically set break lever distance 1.(most far)

I previously rode FZ6, DUCATI HYPERMOTARD796.(the same type of master cylinder I think)
but these were not too soft.
should I do to more brake in??

mt09 1.jpg

·
Registered
192 Posts
I woudl try bleeding the brakes. I think they do the best they can when assembling bikes, but never as good as you can do in your garage. Be sure and cover all the painted surfaces you'll be around since brake fluid will dissolve paint. I use saran wrap. Cover the tank, for sure, and all over the front fender. Its cheap.

If that does not help, I'd try a master cylinder, used, from an r1....I want to say 2006 or newer, but you could possibly go older. You want a radial master vs the one that comes on the fz09. The original looks like it was stolen from my 77 Kawasaki kz 650. I would not bother with stainless lines. Most of the help they offer is in that they force you to bleed the brakes properly. New rubber lines, like we have, will be good for several years before a replacement is due. Yes, they would be better, but that front mc has to go first. Honestly, you dont need to stay within the Yamaha family for a decent master cylinder. Pretty much anything from a modern sport bike (2006 or newer) will have a radial mc that is a vast improvement over what we got from Yamaha. I'm looking at attaching one from a 2008 zx 10.

Easy enough to complain about the lousy stock mc, but for the price of this bike, I'm ok with it.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Uuh, it's brand new and you've got a warranty........let the dealer do a brake bleed and get it where it should be.

Reactions: Bashar_P

·
Registered
232 Posts
Uuh, it's brand new and you've got a warranty........let the dealer do a brake bleed and get it where it should be.
as triplethreat said new bike you dealer should be looking after that maybe something small they missed during assembly and pre delivery check take it back...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Not sure if 12 miles in city traffic is enough to bed the pads in. I'd ride it some and if it's still soft...go back to the dealer and make them fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Brakes are solid on this bike - no spongyness at all. Just a touch on the lever and they come on hard.
If the dealer doesn't fix it, there is a way to "bleed the brakes" without taking the cap off - but lets see if the dealer fixes it first.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The lever could be spongy/soft from air in the system in combination with shipping protectant residue still on the rotors.
A quick wipe with some brake cleaner sprayed on a clean rag could help get the braking surface free of the contaminant.
Also, if the pads are of a hard compound, a light sanding of the rotors with some 180 grit sandpaper could help them bed-in, too.

·
Registered
768 Posts
hello.
yesterday, I've unboxing new FZ09 in Korea. (I'm Korean. sorry for my poor english :eek:)

I rode just 12 miles.
but front break lever pressure was still soft.
it's very short riding. but I thought it was good enough to fill break fluid pressure.
I typically set break lever distance 1.(most far)

I previously rode FZ6, DUCATI HYPERMOTARD796.(the same type of master cylinder I think)
but these were not too soft.
should I do to more brake in??

View attachment 1058
Your English is way better than my Korean!:D
That said, new brake components do take some time to wear in from new. As others recommended, a bleeding of air from the system may be a quick and simple fix. Before you do that, I would ride the bike some more and give things a chance to break-in.
As I mentioned in a previous reply, you may want to clean the rotors with some de-greaser on a rag (brake cleaner or alcohol will work) in case there is some shipping protectant left on them, too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts